Thor's Chronology

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Thor's Chronology

Post by vanhornluke »

Thor's chronology is missing his behind the scenes appearance in Justice vol. 1 #19b. I should also point out that what y'all have labeled in the MCP Key as Justice vol. 1 is really vol. 2 (the New Universe series from 1986-9).
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thor's Chronology

Post by Col_Fury »

As was common in the '40s & '50s, this series has a convoluted history.

DOPEY DUCK COMICS #1-2 ('45-'46) continued its numbering into:
WACKY DUCK COMICS #3-6 ('46-'47), which continued its numbering into:
JUSTICE COMICS #7-9 ('47-'48). Then, the numbering reset with its fourth actual issue under this title:
JUSTICE COMICS v2 #4-12 ('48-'49). Then, "COMICS" was dropped from the covers & indicia, but continued the numbering:
JUSTICE #13-52 ('48-'55), which then continued its numbering into:
TALES OF JUSTICE #53-67 ('55-'56).

I've seen various places list JUSTICE #13-52 still as "JUSTICE COMICS," and others list them as just "JUSTICE." As noted, "COMICS" was dropped from the covers & indicia with #13 (also #11, but it returned with #12, then from #13-on it was gone consistently). However, everyone seems to uniformly list issues #53-67 as "TALES OF JUSTICE," at least in the places I've seen.

Fun!
-Daron Jensen
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Re: Thor's Chronology

Post by vanhornluke »

Yeah, some of titles and numbering for those 40s and 50s series is weird and convoluted. Patsy Walker is mostly just listed as "Patsy Walker" in the indicia, but there are a few issues that randomly add "Comics" in the indicia (but not the cover). My favorite for weird is Best Western #58, whose title and numbering appears to carry over from Martin Goodman's pulp magazine of the same name which ended at vol. 5 #7. Absolutely bizarre! Here's a write-up on the whole matter that's very interesting: link.