Defenders 32, Nighthawk flashbacks

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

sssstegron
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Defenders 32, Nighthawk flashbacks

Post by sssstegron »

Are Nighthawk's flashbacks during his unfortunate brain extraction in Defenders #32 intentionally omitted from his early history? I couldn't find any discussion of this in the forum. Maybe they were later invalidated, or not considered true flashbacks, since the memories are somewhat distorted. For example, he wears his Nighthawk costume, even as a child.

I am using physical copies of DEF 32 and A 70, and digital issues of LASTDEF 5 and DD 62 from Marvel Unlimited (they appear to be complete). His chronology before A 69 is currently:

LASTDEF 5-FB
DD 62 (11)-FB
A 70-FB
DD 62 (12)-FB

In the LASTDEF 5 flashback, Kyle Richmond is involved in a hit-and-run while transporting parts for his Hawk-Plane. This would be during his career as Nighthawk, or slightly before.

In DD 62 flashbacks, Kyle recalls drinking the potion that gave him his powers.

In A 70 flashbacks, the Grand-Master recalls creating the Squadron Sinister, and Nighthawk is seen training.

In DEF 32, Kyle recalls being sent to boarding school as a child, then causing another car accident in college that kills his girlfriend (should this guy still be driving?). His father is killed, and he inherits Richmond Enterprises. The remaining events are established (becoming Nighthawk, Trish Starr's accident, Pennysworth's betrayal, etc.).

I suggest that these events be included in a single entry before the LASTDEF 5 flashback:

DEF 32-FB
LASTDEF 5-FB
DD 62 (11)-FB

thanks,
sssstegron
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Defenders 32, Nighthawk flashbacks

Post by Michael »

Just to clarify, Nighthawk's girlfriend later turns up, having survived the crash and with superpowers, so the car accident definitely did happen.
sssstegron
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Re: Defenders 32, Nighthawk flashbacks

Post by sssstegron »

I was sure that was a throwaway character, but Mindy Williams has an MCP entry, and it includes this DEF 32 flashback. Such a wacky storyline, thanks Michael!

Sssstegron