The Avengers Battle the Earth-Wrecker

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

The Avengers Battle the Earth-Wrecker

Post by vanhornluke »

This novel has been confirmed by the handbooks to be 616, so there's no reason to not include it here at MCP.

The Avengers Battle the Earth-Wrecker (1967)
By Otto Binder

APPEARANCES:
Captain America, Goliath, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Karzz the Conqueror, Dr. Thomas Polton, Wasp

SYNOPSIS:
Karzz the Conqueror, a tyrant from the 70th century, arrives in the 20th and declares from Mt. Everest that he plans to conquer the Earth. The Avengers, naturally, rally to prevent this. Karzz releases "four dooms," devices to destroy the Earth. The Avengers eventually capture Karzz and force him to use his time-travel technology to reverse time on Earth back to the day before, thus preventing the four dooms from ever being activated. Iron Man then uses Karzz's time machine to send him back to the 70th century where his enemies will capture and imprison him.

NOTE:
This is the first novel based upon Marvel comic characters (not the first novel set in 616, though, since there are lots of novels published in Martin Goodman's pulps that are 616). As mentioned above the handbooks (specifically, the Blockbusters of the Marvel Universe handbook appendix) explicitly state that this novel is a 616 story. The cover depicts Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, but they never actually appear in the story. Karzz is basically a poor Kang the Conqueror stand-in. The whole novel is pretty boring and the dialogue is grating. I didn't see any easy place between Avengers issues in which this story can be placed because the following factors have to be kept in mind: Cap is still on the team, Wanda and Pietro are not, Hank is called Goliath and can use his shape-shifting powers, Hercules and Black Panther are not on the team. My suggestion is to place it after the majority of Avengers #35 but prior to the last two panels. That's an easy place to posit a break in the story and slot this novel in.

Placement suggestions (I'm not entirely confident that I got the MCP formatting correct):

CAPTAIN AMERICA/STEVE ROGERS
A 34
A 35 (1-20:5)
TABTEW
A 35 (20:6-20:7)
A 36

GOLIATH/HENRY PYM
A 34
TABTEW
A 36

HAWKEYE/CLINT BARTON
A 34
TABTEW
A 36

IRON MAN/ANTHONY EDWARD "TONY" STARK
ASM@ 3
A 34-BTS
TABTEW
A 38-BTS

KARZZ THE CONQUEROR
TABTEW

DR. THOMAS POLTON
TABTEW

WASP/JANET VAN DYNE PYM
A 34
TABTEW
A 36
zilch
Hero
Hero

Re: The Avengers Battle the Earth-Wrecker

Post by zilch »

Does that mean that The Great Gold Steal is also in? I was in love with the cover painting of Cap when i first read that book in the 60s!!!
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

zilch wrote:Does that mean that The Great Gold Steal is also in? I was in love with the cover painting of Cap when i first read that book in the 60s!!!
No. That book says Steve Rogers and his brother Alan were raised by their Uncle Charlie after their father died in World War One. 616 Steve had no siblings and his dad didn't die in WWI.
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/eart ... icaggs.htm
Aragorn45
Minion
Minion

Post by Aragorn45 »

What about David Michelinie's book The Man Who Stole Tomorrow? I think that one happens prior to Avengers #181.
What about Dan Abnett's novel Everyone Wants to Rule the World? Is that in continuity?
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

The Man Who Stole Tomorrow has been confirmed as 616 by the handbooks. I'm not aware of any confirmation for Everyone Wants to Rule the World.