HUTCHINS, RALPHIE

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

HUTCHINS, RALPHIE

Post by Somebody »

Odd thing about Ralphie Hutchins' entry. Our listing has all five of his IDs as concurrent - i.e., the entry is split six ways after SAVSH 19. But the Appendix - http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/hutchn.htm - makes it sound like they were consecutive, like the Hulk with multiple IDs to switch between. (Also, puts Kyr as a separate, albeit-related, character - whereas we have him as one of Ralphie Hutchins' IDs)

Can anyone with the Savage She-Hulk issues confirm what's actually going on there?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HUTCHINS, RALPHIE

Post by Col_Fury »

In SAVSH 19, Ralphie is torn up into a bunch of bits by She-Hulk. Each bit then (as revealed in SAVSH 24-25) turns into a separate character. Ralphie ceases to exist as a single character when he's torn up; that happens in one event. Over the next several issues we meet new characters; each of these new characters are later revealed to have formerly been Ralphie (the same issue that reveals what happened to Ralphie after he was torn up).

It looks like the Appendix took the symbolic image that reveals all of these characters used to be Ralphie as literal; it shows that Kyr used to be Ralphie, as did Torque, Seeker, etc. However, Kyr could not have been each character consecutively. In SAVSH 21, Seeker is taking orders from Shade. In SAVSH 22, both Shade and Radius appear separate from one another. In SAVSH 23, Shade, Radius and Torque all appear separate from one another. etc.

The Appendix says that the various creatures and Shade are creations of Doc, but they're all former bits of Ralphie. He didn't have success at creating mutations until Ralphie, and used the former bits of Ralphie to further his criminal enterprise. I suppose you could call what Ralphie turned in to as a creation of Doc, but not quite in the way the Appendix has applied it.

Also, Ralphie is called a brute in SAVSH 19 (before he's torn up into pieces). I don't think he's the Brute, I think his sudden transformation was just described as brutish, if you get the difference. We don't currently have "Brute" listed as an alias for Ralphie, and I don't think we should.

Clear as mud, right? :lol:
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

See, I would take that, but I just found these pages apparently from SAVSH 25, which clearly show (title page) Earth-Lord (per dialogue) becoming Torque, Radius, the Seeker, "that brute-creature" and Ralphie in turn; (in page numbered 6) Ralphie turning back into Brute and (in page numbered 7) "that brute creature"'s pieces reforming into Seeker....
Attachments
SAVSH25-7.jpg
SAVSH25-7.jpg (184.38 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
SAVSH25-6.jpg
SAVSH25-6.jpg (172.39 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
SAVSH25-1.jpg
SAVSH25-1.jpg (185.22 KiB) Viewed 2459 times
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I remember the story being a mess, and the revelations not quite matching up with what was seen before. That last scan (with the indicia) was the symbolic splash I was talking about.

I suppose each bit could turn into the other bits, once they realized what there origin was, but I just don't see how each one could be a single character, given they appear separate from each other in previous issues.

I'll have to pull out SAVSH 18-25 and re-read them.
-Daron Jensen
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Col_Fury wrote:I remember the story being a mess, and the revelations not quite matching up with what was seen before.
Well, in fairness, she does say, "That's impossible!"
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

I don't think that Shade is supposed to be Ralphie- just Earth Lord,Torque, Radius, Seeker and Brute.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:I remember the story being a mess, and the revelations not quite matching up with what was seen before. That last scan (with the indicia) was the symbolic splash I was talking about.
It's clearly not symbolic (except in the fact that it's a chronological series of "afterimages" rather than a single slice of time) - not only is Jen commenting on it as it happens, but Ralphie (AS Ralphie!) is still lying on the ground where the splash leaves him in the follow-up page!