Cover Appearances

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Cover Appearances

Post by vanhornluke »

Is it the MCP's policy to ignore character appearances on covers when the covers depict a story that isn't actually in the issue? I was prompted to ask when I noticed that the handbook entry for Hercules (Varen David) includes the events from the cover of Mystic Comics #4, even though the Hercules story in that issue has nothing to do with what's depicted on the cover. The cover must be a single panel from an otherwise untold story. Since the handbook says that story really happened, the cover for Mystic Comics #4 could be added to the chronology for Hercules and FDR. I'm not sure how that should be formatted, though, or even where the story should be placed (is it before the full story in #4, since you see the cover first, or is it after, since it's referenced after the #4 story in the handbook entry?), so I thought I'd just ask what MCP's policy on cases like this is.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cover Appearances

Post by Russ Chappell »

vanhornluke wrote:Is it the MCP's policy to ignore character appearances on covers when the covers depict a story that isn't actually in the issue?
Yep.
I was prompted to ask when I noticed that the handbook entry for Hercules (Varen David) includes the events from the cover of Mystic Comics #4, even though the Hercules story in that issue has nothing to do with what's depicted on the cover. The cover must be a single panel from an otherwise untold story.
You'd have to ask the handbook people about that.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Well, there's nothing confusing about the handbook entry. It just says that Hercules once rescued FDR from being hit by a train, just as is depicted on the cover of Mystic Comics #4. The Hercules story inside that issue is a different story, so the handbook references both incidents. Since the handbook establishes that what's depicted on the cover is an additional event in the life of Hercules (and FDR), I just wondered if MCP wanted to include it or not (it includes single panel flashbacks, so why not single panel covers when they're confirmed to be 616?).
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

The Deadpool #SecretComic Variant story makes it clear that the Coververse™ on the whole (i.e., stuff like XCAL 55 notwithstanding) is a separate continuity from the interiors. Ergo, any reference to FDR being saved by this Hercules in the Marvel Universe is an unseen story, not the cover.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Interesting. I wasn't familiar with the idea of a coververse. In any case, MCP's listing for Hercules should at least be updated to include his full name, which is Varen David.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

vanhornluke wrote:MCP's listing for Hercules should...be updated to include his full name, which is Varen David.
Thanks.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
zuckyd1
Henchman
Henchman

Post by zuckyd1 »

A somewhat similar situation exists with the Blue Blaze. His handbook entry mentions an alleged encounter with the Vampire of Doom. Said vampire's sole "appearance" to date was a mention in the "next issue" panel at the end of the Blaze's story in Mystic Comics #4. No Blue Blaze story appeared in the following issue, and, as the handbook entry states, "the battle's outcome remains unrevealed". :lol: