Mighty Marvel Math!

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mighty Marvel Math!

Post by Col_Fury »

It’s that time again when Marvel reverts their numbering systems on long running series. So, what’s getting renumbered (Venom’s already out, by the way)?

Totally makes sense to me!

I’m surprised that Renew Your Vows (a Secret Wars mini) is included in the “run.” I mean, it’s not like Astonishing X-Men was included in Uncanny X-Men’s numbering, right? Speaking of which…

Thors (another Secret Wars mini) isn’t included in this total, so what’s the deal with Renew Your Vows?

Hmn. The Super Special (which was the Annual replacement for the Spider-books that year) and #-1 are included here. That… doesn’t seem right, does it? I’m also a little surprised that the Dark Origin mini was included, but it was the only thing published at the time, so whatever, I guess. What I’m really baffled by is they included #13.1, 13.2, 13.3, 13.4 & 27.1 in the totals. If they want to include all the minis from the ‘90s (which I guess is fair, they were essentially a monthly series of minis at the time), then #6 should only be “#142,” and #150 should have been #143, right? The Annual, #-1 and the points shouldn’t count, right?

Uh oh. They’re saying #527 was actually #530 (they skipped the 2004’s series’ #33-35 the first time around because they were War Machine comics). #11 should only be “#589” and the next issue should be #590, right? Not #593? I mean, there’s a printed comic that says “#527” on it; how can that *actually* be “#530”? And it’s not like they included IM 500.1 or IM5 20.INH in the total (like they did with Venom), so what’s going on?

Now see, with this one they corrected a previous error. #600 was actually supposed to be #599, because they included the #-1 last time. But you still have comics numbered #600-635, so the error should have been carried over, right? Eh, what are you gonna do?

Huh. They didn’t include the Panther’s Prey mini. Good, because I wouldn’t have, personally. But…

They did include the two ‘90s minis here. Odd. And they included the Cable/Deadpool book. I wonder…

Ah, good. They didn’t include the Cable/Deadpool book here. However, I always considered that a Cable book with “special guest Deadpool.” Oh well. At least they didn’t double dip. Also, no Cable & X-Force?

Huh. They didn’t include the MAX mini. I’m… kind of surprised by that given they included the Venom: Dark Origin mini for Venom’s total. But hey, good for them! HOWEVER, they didn't include the three-issue New Avengers: Luke Cage mini. Oops.

No Power Man & Iron Fist book here! Aside from a 21-year gap between volumes (gaps between volumes also don’t make sense to me elsewhere, to be fair), everything makes sense to me here.

I see why they did what they did here, but there was a book called Captain Marvel that lasted 62 issues. Shouldn’t Ms. Marvel be included in the current Ms. Marvel book’s total (I guess not, now)? What are they going to do with Sam Wilson: Captain America? Not count that for Captain America, but include it for a Falcon total, or something?

So, there’s some inconsistencies here. I’m glad they’re reverting to the “original” numbering, personally. I mean, the Walking Dead shouldn’t have a higher number than Amazing Spider-Man, you know?

What do others think?
-Daron Jensen