Daring Mystery Comics #5-8

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Daring Mystery Comics #5-8

Post by Col_Fury »

DARING MYSTERY COMICS #5 (June 1940)
By George Kapitan & Harry Sahle

Fiery Mask fights Dork! Already in the MCP.

2nd Story:
By Arnold Lorne Hicks

APPEARANCES:
Trojak the TIGER MAN, Balu (Trojak’s tiger), Edith, Jerry, Gemba natives, gorillas, hyenas

SYNOPSIS:
Jerry, having helped Trojak beat back Nazi oppressors, is sick! The Gemba healer tells Trojak of the Devil-Flower, whose juices have healing properties. Trojak and Jerry’s sister Edith begin a quest to find the flower, but are opposed by superstitious natives, hyenas and gorillas. They make their way through, get the juice and return to Jerry. Jerry drinks the “life juice” and starts to feel better.

NOTE:
I have to say, I liked this one. The narration is great; it describes Trojak, Balu and Edith as “the three friends,” it says things like “In a moment of time, the tables are turned,” “the magic vapor shows distant things,” and “Trojak throttles the ape before it can sound the alarm.” Also, Balu the tiger is smart enough to sabotage boats so people don’t follow them. AND!, when Jerry drinks the life juice at the end, Balu is reassuring him with a smile and a his paw on Jerry’s knee. Good times.

However, I freely admit that might be the scotch talking. I should come back and see how much I like it tomorrow.

3rd Story:
By Jack Binder

APPEARANCES:
K-4 & his Sky-Devils (Britsh flying spies and soldiers of fortune): Lt. Rene D’Auvergne & Ronald Wolverstone-Clodd, the Colonel, Nazis

SYNOPSIS:
The Sky-Devils are tasked with photographing a Nazi base, but they’re shot down and captured. They escape imprisonment, stage a revolt and call for help. K-4 arrives in his own plane and bombs the crap out of the place. Later, K-4 apologizes to his Colonel for not quite following his photography orders.

4th Story:
By Larry Antonette

APPARANCES:
Monako (also in fb) & his parents (in fb), Lady Olga, Lady Anne, thieves (Mike named), bystanders

FLASHBACK:
As a child, Monako accompanies his missionary parents to India, but they’re attacked by a “cruel tribe.” After a ritual everyone dies but Monako, and he’s raised by a chief d taught magic. At age 16 he’s picked up by some Colonial soldiers, goes to college and becomes famous.
SYNOPSIS:
Monako performs magic as entertainment on a fancy boat ride and stops of thieves from stealing jewelry.

5th Story:
By Hal Sharp

APPEARANCES:
Marvex the Super Robot, East Side Mob (inc Brad Lewis, the chief bank robber), Dr. Narr & his Iron Men, Clara Crandall (Marvex’s friend)

SYNOPSIS:
Marvex stops some bank robbers while being very polite about it. Dr. Narr reads about it in the paper and gets an idea. He sends Marvex a note, lures Marvex to his castle in the woods and traps him. Dr. Narr plans to experiment on Marvex to see what gives him sentience, so he can duplicate it in his Iron Men (for science!). As Marvex faces his own mortality (“But my work is not done - - “) he sends an SOS to Clara Crandall, who arrives with a gun and frees Marvex. Marvex throws Dr. Narr out a window (“Dr. Narr goes screaming to a crushing death”). Marvex then goes after the bank robbers (again; weren’t they captured?) and wallops the boss in the face! Clara tells Marvex to rest, but he’s a robot; he never rests!

NOTE:
Marvex, a robot, wears a suit and tie when he relaxes at home. How classy!

Maybe I’m still buzzed, but this story was tons of fun.

6th Story:
By Fletcher Hanks

APPEARANCES:
Whirlwind Carter (of the Interplanetary Secret Service), Brenda Hale, Black-Light Men

SYNOPSIS:
Whirlwind Carter notices a rogue planet approaching Earth. He eavesdrops on their plans using his thought-detector device and learns they plan to knock Earth out of its orbit, freezing everyone to death; then, they want to sell the uninhabited planet to Mars. Whirlwind launches an attack against the Black-Light planet, but not before millions of people on Earth are killed and injured. Whirlwind’s friend Brenda discovers the Black-Light Men are terrified of fire, and they all throw themselves off a cliff.

NOTE:
In this future, Earth has a population of a half-billion (in 1940, the world’s population was roughly 2.5 billion). I… guess something terrible happened at some point? Also, Whirlwind Carter lives on Venus (which also has its own population).

Followed by “the Death Clutch” text story.

7th Story:
By Jack Binder

APPEARANCES:
Breeze Barton, Ann Barclay, Frenchy, Chief Sabarr & his raiders, Breeze’s freedom fighters

SYNOPSIS:
Breeze Barton and Ann Barclay return from adventures in another dimension to find the world has descended into war and chaos. They make plans to build a new civilization but are attacked by raiders. They defeat the first wave, convince some they're seeking peace (and convert them to be civilized) and let others go. Attacked again, Breeze and Ann are captured. They escape and kill the raiders’ chief. The raiders want to make Breeze their new chief, but he refuses the power, saying they can rule themselves. “With a strong basic organization for progress, Breeze feels ready to go adventuring alone!”

8th Story:
By Bud Sagendorf

APPEARANCES:
Little Hercules, doctors, foreign agents, government officials

SYNOPSIS:
Hercules the wonder boy has been made a doctor of all sciences. He’s invented “Dynopop” and wants to deliver the formula to Washington before foreign spies steal it from him. He’s attacked, but their physical assaults don’t hurt him (he’s super smart AND super strong). He eventually gets to Washington, hands over the formula and the foreign agents.

9th Story:
By Maurice Gutwirth

This one’s already in the MCP.

DARING MYSTERY COMICS #6 (September 1940)
By Joe Simon & Jack Kirby

Already in the MCP.

2nd Story:

Yep, another by Simon and Kirby. This one’s pretty creepy, actually. Also, already in the MCP.

3rd Story:
By ???

APPEARANCES:
Stuporman (Marmaduke Snood Jr.), other goofy characters

SYNOPSIS:
Stuporman is an idiot. When he saves the day he’s rewarded with his own park bench to sleep on.

4th Story:
By Bill O’Connor & Ben Flinton

APPEARANCES:
Flying Flame (Capt. Benjamin “Red” Ruff), various soldiers, Black Ace

SYNOPSIS:
The Flying Flame has become so famous that he’s sent to France. He faces off against and defeats the Black Ace, another famous pilot for the enemy. The Flying flame returns to base and reports there are spies… but who are they?

NOTE:
Find out in the next thrilling episode! Oh, wait…

NOTE:
Followed by “Scales of Justice” text story.

5th Story:
By L. Bing

APPEARANCES:
Falcon, Judge Martin, James Buttersworth, Tony Wells, bank robbers, police, bystanders

SYNOPSIS:
The Falcon breaks up a gang of bank robbers.

6th Story:
By Larry Antonette

APPEARANCES:
Monako, Pere, Louise & her brother, kidnappers, police

SYNOPSIS:
Monako rescues a kidnapped woman. Why was she kidnapped? Eh, what does it matter?

7th Story:
By Steve Dahlman

APPEARANCES:
Dynaman, Khufor, savages, bystanders

SYNOPSIS:
Thousands of years ago, the Land of Korug was an advanced civilization of super humans, but Dynaman was the best of them all. When Korug fell into the ocean after a great storm, Dynaman was the only survivor. Dynaman flies from the ocean to Egypt where he stops an uprising of savages. Dynaman flies off to find another adventure.

8th Story:
By Mike Roy

APPEARANCES:
Tigerman, Prof. Carson, Louise Carson, jungle natives, Rangoo (Tigerman’s ape)

SYNOPSIS:
Tigerman tries to save Prof. Carson and his daughter Louise from attacking natives, but they’re all captured. Eventually they escape, but Prof. Carson dies. Luise never wants to leave Tigerman’s side now that her father is gone.

NOTE:
Hmn. The narration mentions Balu, Tigerman’s tiger, but Balu doesn’t appear. Trojak had a tiger named Balu, and his description was Trojak “the Tiger Man,” but this guy doesn’t look anything like Trojak. Or speak like him. But it seems to be fairly clear he’s supposed to be the same guy. Chalk it up to artistic differences, I guess.

DARING MYSTERY COMICS #7 (April 1941)
By John H. Compton & Carl Burgos

APPEARANCES:
Thunderer (Jerry Carstairs, FCC agent), Eileen Conroy (Jerry’s girlfriend, newspaper columnist), Mike (Jerry’s dog), German ambassadors, spies, bystanders

SYNOPSIS:
The Thunderer beats up a bunch of people at the German embassy. Later, Jerry Carstairs thinks his girlfriend is in trouble (because she keeps writing about fifth columnists), so he changes his clothes to be the Thunderer and beats up some spies that are sent after her. She takes his picture and makes the Thunderer famous.

2nd Story:
By Bill Everett

This Fin story is already in the MCP, but should be the second, not first story.

3rd Story:
By Ben Thompson

This Blue Diamond story is already in the MCP, but should be the third, not the first story.

4th Story:
By Al Weine

Another gag strip, this one about Officer O’Krime (“It’s a crime he’s an officer”… because he’s an idiot).

5th Story:
By Harry Sahle

This Silver Scorpion story is already in the MCP, but should be the fifth story, not the first.

NOTE:
Followed by “the Valley of Time” text story.

6th Story:
By Ray Burley

APPEARANCES:
Mr. Million, his chauffeur, Nickie (paperboy) & his family, Mr. Wilson (newspaper circulation manager), bystanders

SYNOPSIS:
Mr. Million has his chauffeur drive him around a slum district and stops kids from beating each other up. He tries to give a paperboy some money, but the kid refuses. The kid goes home to his sick mother, and learns he’s getting a new route on 5th Ave. At first he sells no papers, but suddenly people start buying and he sells out. The last person gives him a ten but he can’t break it, so he follows the guy into an office to give the money back and finds the guy works for Mr. Million. Mr. Million arranged for the kid’s new route. When the kid expresses outrage at being handed a free pass, Mr. Million says he’ll hire the kid as his office boy.

7th Story:

APPEARANCES:
Captain Daring, Susan Parker, Hal, American Army, underground army

SYNOPSIS:
In the future, the Fuehrer has given the order for the underground army to attack America. Captain Daring leads a mission to fight them. After the underground army’s defeat, the underground citizens surrender and make Captain Daring’s girlfriend their queen.

8th Story:
By Charles Nicholas Wojtkoski

This one’s already in the MCP.

DARING MYSTERY COMICS #8 (January 1942)
By Ben Thompson

This Citizen V story is already in the MCP.

2nd Story:
By Bill Everett

This Fin story is already in the MCP, but it should be the second story, not the first.

3rd Story:
By Irving Werstein & Ed Robbins

APPEARANCES:
Thunderer, Gore & his goons, bystanders

SYNOPSIS:
Various people are being killed through telephones and radios, so the Thunderer investigates. He finds out that Gore, a radio engineer, hated humanity because he was a dwarf and jealous. He picked people at random to murder.

NOTE:
Followed by “Danny Makes Good” text story.

4th Story:
By Frank Pretsch

APPEARANCES:
Li’l Professor, Rudy the Robot, Oswald, Prof.’s wife, the Groom & his thugs, police

SYNOPSIS:
Li’l Professor has invented a robot to help around the house, but his wife thinks it’s stupid. Gangsters attack the professor to steal the robot, but they’re outsmarted and arrested.

5th Story:
By Harry Sahle

This Silver Scorpion story is already in the MCP, but should be the fifth story, not the first.

6th Story:
By Frank Borth

APPEARANCES:
Captain Daring, Adolf Hitler (also in fb), Joseph Goebbels (also in fb), Von Schalz (also in fb), Hermann Goring (also in fb)

FLASHBACK:
1942: Realizing the war is a lost cause, Hitler and his top people freeze themselves so they can start again in the future.
SYNOPSIS:
31st Century: Captain Daring begins the task of rebuilding society, but he’s attacked by Hitler! Captain Daring is hypnotized and leads the American armies in Hitler’s name and the conquest for the universe begins!

NOTE:
Well, that’s not how I expected things to go.

7th Story:
By Ray Houlihan

APPEARANCES:
Tubby, Tack, Fuzzy, Mom

SYNOPSIS:
Mom discovers that the kids have eaten all the jelly. When they don’t fess up, she beats their ass with a spoon. Ain’t life full of chuckles?

8th Story:
By Ben Thompson

This Blue Diamond story is already in the MCP, but it should be the eighth story, not the first.

Chronologies!

ALTON, EDITH
DARMC 2/3
DARMC 3/5
DARMC 4/8
DARMC 5/2

ALTON, JERRY
DARMC 4/8
DARMC 5/2

AMENHOTEP/KHUFOR
**[DARMC 6/8] (delete)
*DARMC 6/7
A 129

BALU
DARMC 2/3
DARMC 3/5
DARMC 4/8
DARMC 5/2

BARRACUDA/CAPT. ERICH VON WOLFF
DARMC 8/2

*BARRACUDA (renumber to be the second)
NW2 4
……

BLACK ACE
DARMC 6/4

*BLUE DIAMOND/PROF. ELTON T. MORROW
**DARMC 7 (delete)
*DARMC 7/3
**DARMC 8 (delete)
*DARMC 8/8
M/PRM 29
……

CHALLENGER/BILL WARING
*DARMC 7/8-FB
DARMC 7/8
MYSC 6/5
……

CRANDALL, CLARA
DARMC 3/6
DARMC 4/5
*DARMC 5/5

D’AUVERGNE, RENE
DARMC 2/4
DARMC 4/2
DARMC 5/3

DORK
DARMC 5

DYNAMAN
DARMC 6/7

FALCON/CARL BURGESS
DARMC 5/9
*DARMC 6/5
HTC 2/3
M/KSM 9 (14:3)-FB

FIERY MASK/DR. JACK CASTLE
……
DARMC 5
**DARMC 6 (delete)
*DARMC 6/2
HTC 2/6
……

FIN/ADM. PETER NOBLE
**DARMC 7 (delete)
*DARMC 7/2
**DARMC 8 (delete)
*DARMC 8/2
COMEDYC 9/8
……

FLYING FLAME/CAPT. BENJAMIN “RED” RUFF
DARMC 6/4

HERCULES II
*DARMC 6-FB
DARMC 6

HITLER, ADOLF
……
DF 4.8-FB
*DARMC 8
HTC 3/2
……

HURLEY, DAN
DARMC 7/5
DARMC 8/5

JUPITER
DARMC 6-FB

*JUPITER (change name to JUPITER II/JUPITER WISE)
NW 3
……

K-4
DARMC 2/4
DARMC 4/2
*DARMC 5/3

MARS
DARMC 6

MARVEL BOY/MARTIN SIMON BURNS
*DARMC 6-FB
DARMC 6

MARVEX
DARMC 3/6
DARMC 4/5
*DARMC 5/5
ALLSC70A /2

MONAKO
*DARMC 5/4-FB
{DARMC 1/4}
M/PROJECT 2
DARMC 4/3
*DARMC 5/4
*DARMC 6/6

MR. MILLION
DARMC 7/6

SILVER SCORPION/ELISABETH BARSTOW
**DARMC 7 (delete)
*DARMC 7/5
**DARMC 8 (delete)
*DARMC 8/5
COMEDYC 9
……

THUNDERER/JERRY CARSTAIRS
DARMC 7
DARMC 8/3

TIGERMAN
DARMC 6/8

TROJAK
DARMC 2/3
DARMC 3/5
DARMC 4/8
*DARMC 5/2

WOLVERSTONE-CLODD, RONALD
DARMC 2/4
DARMC 4/2
DARMC 5/3

EARTH-4040

BARCLAY, ANN | EARTH-4040
DARMC 3/2
DARMC 4/7
DARMC 5/7

BARTON, KURT “BREEZE” | EARTH-4040
DARMC 3/2
DARMC 4/7
DARMC 5/7

FRENCHY | EARTH-4040
DARMC 4/7
DARMC 5/7

EARTH-4263

CAPTAIN DARING | EARTH-4263
DARMC 7/7
DARMC 8/6

GOEBBELS, JOSEPH | EARTH-4263
DARMC 8/6-FB
DARMC 8/6

GORING, HERMANN | EARTH-4263
DARMC 8/6-FB
DARMC 8/6

HITLER, ADOLF | EARTH-4263
DARMC 8/6-FB
DARMC 8/6

PARKER, SUSAN | EARTH-4263
DARMC 7/7

VON SCHALZ | EARTH-4263
DARMC 8/6-FB
DARMC 8/6

EARTH-5464

CARTER, HENRY “WHIRLWIND” | EARTH-5464
DARMC 4/4
DARMC 5/6

HALE, BRENDA | EARTH-5464
DARMC 4/4
DARMC 5/6
-Daron Jensen
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Re: Daring Mystery Comics #5-8

Post by vanhornluke »

I'm loving all these golden age stories being added! :D

Trojak and Tigerman are distinct characters. They both have their own handbook entries. I assume the "Balu" reference was just an error.

No chronology for Stuporman? He actually has three other appearances I'm aware of: Snap vol. 1 #2, Snap vol. 1 #3, Joker vol. 1 #4.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Great Kirby, there were more Stuporman stories? Why? :o :lol:

Thanks for the Trojak/Tigerman clarification. *looks it up real quick* Yep, two different characters.

I've been meaning to get back to the Golden Age for yoinks but never was able to find the time (until I forced myself to with a New Year's resolution). Hopefully I can make some decent progress before time slips away from me again. I spent money on all these Masterworks, I might as well get some use out of them, right? In any case, I'm having a blast!
-Daron Jensen
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by ShadZ »

vanhornluke wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 am No chronology for Stuporman? He actually has three other appearances I'm aware of: Snap vol. 1 #2, Snap vol. 1 #3, Joker vol. 1 #4.
He's also in Comedy Comics #11!
ShadZ