Moderators: Col_Fury, Jason Doty, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forum Etiquette and Archiving the Watches

Post by Russ Chappell »

Jason Doty wrote:February 2, 2005 Watch
New Avengers no.3 (Still no Wolverine)
I don't follow you. Why is New Avengers #3 in here?

watching: superweapons of the ancient world
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Actually, I appreciated it -- sort of a "Negative Watch". We all know Wolvie will show up in NA eventually, but now I don't have to track down #3 and flip through to check. :-)

-Jeph!
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

That may be, but I cautioned when we first started this forum that I was going to be very strict on this.

watching: to catch a thief
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Well, fair enough, I suppose.

Bad Jason Doty! Bad!

-Jeph!
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

A little feed back

Post by Jason Doty »

I apologize for the non-Wolverine post, but do to the fact that he keeps showing up on the covers and alternate covers, I was just trying to be helpful. I was also wondering if the way I list the characters from one X-Men title to another is cool. I don't know if this is confusing or not in the watches. If anyone wants to standerdize the way I do this, just tell me. Also could we delete posts that are fairly old. Maybe we could do a two month limit, to save space and keep people from having to wade through all of the posts.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A little feed back

Post by Russ Chappell »

Jason Doty wrote:I was also wondering if the way I list the characters from one X-Men title to another is cool. I don't know if this is confusing or not in the watches.
I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't found anything confusing in your posts. Sometimes I wonder why you list a book like Uncanny X-Men #723, and then don't mention the qualifying characters. I mean, it's pretty clear that X-Men appear in X-Men, and the only value of mentioning it would be to mention who specifically appears, since you do that for the non-Xbooks. Because of that, I don't think it's particularly useful, but I don't object to it.
Jason Doty wrote:If anyone wants to standerdize the way I do this, just tell me.
I'd actually rather avoid standardizing. I don't think it's enforceable anyway, and if we insist that people post in a particular format, many people would just throw up their hands and not bother, and we'd be defeating the purpose. The only standardization that I would ask for (in this forum, at least; the Issue Analysis forum is another matter), is that posters clearly communicate their thoughts. That should be enough.
Jason Doty wrote:Also could we delete posts that are fairly old. Maybe we could do a two month limit, to save space and keep people from having to wade through all of the posts.
Jeph?

watching: married..with children
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

The only standardization that I would ask for (in this forum, at least; the Issue Analysis forum is another matter), is that posters clearly communicate their thoughts. That should be enough.
Wait, you mean I don't have to clearly communicate in the Issue Analysis forum? Sweet!
Jeph?
I'll see what I can do this afternoon and weekend. I was hoping to archive the posts before I deleted them.
Early stuff or late stuff?

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Okay, I've left all the discussions alone, but I've archived and deleted all the Watch posts from 2004. I'll see about getting them publicly available, but for now anyone who wants a copy can e-mail me.

I'll periodically archive and prune this forum from now on -- say, once a month or so.

-Jeph!
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

jephyork wrote:
Early stuff or late stuff?
It would have been fx, so late stuff.

watching: ufos: testing the evidence
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Question?

Post by Jason Doty »

Did someone alter my post? and if so why? Every week I post anything I can find with X-Men in it, I can understand the House of M Sketchbook being taken off since it has little to due with chronology, but the Non 616 does. Please respond. Doty
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Yep, Jason, I did.

I've removed the books you've questioned, not because they have nothing to do with chronology, but because you don't bother to tell us who's in them.

It's not a book watch, nor a title watch, nor even a "team" watch, but a Character Watch.

You're free to go back and edit the post to re-add the books, but only if you can list at least one qualifying character who appears inside.

watching: newsnight
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

I edited the post to include Age of Apocalypse no.6, because we track those chronologies.

I usually list X-Men, that appear from their "home" team in another X-book, but do you want me to list every X-Man that appears in every issue, or not list the book if it is just has there home characters.

A good example is Emma Frost, she is a regular in Astonishing, but not Uncanny.

I thought the system of listing all the X-Men books would help people not miss one, and also serve with chronology because we know who does not belong in that book at a quick glance. In the case of Age of Apocalypse, I made the assumption people knew it was the AOA characters, and since it's not a regular title the community would appreciate the heads up.

Feel free to ditch these posts after you respond, also if you all don't mind we could erase some older posts. Thanks, Jason
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reply

Post by Russ Chappell »

Jason Doty wrote:I edited the post to include Age of Apocalypse no.6, because we track those chronologies.

I usually list X-Men, that appear from their "home" team in another X-book, but do you want me to list every X-Man that appears in every issue, or not list the book if it is just has there home characters.
Read the first post in this forum, titled "Read Before You Post," for a primer on what we're looking for in the Watches.

Generally speaking...

The Watches have nothing to do with chronologies. You've edited your post to add Age of Apocalypse back, and I've let it stand not because we follow the chronologies, but because you've provided at least one relevant character who appears in the book. The Watches are here, solely as a service to the fans of characters, who don't want to miss any appearances by their favorite character. I house this resource on my site because I think there's value in it, and because I don't see anyone else doing it. But if someone else is doing it somewhere else, I'll take it down here, because I don't see it contributing to the Project.

No, you don't have to list every X-Man that appears in every issue. Only list the ones that you want to list. If Wolverine and Storm both appear in a book, and you mention Storm but not Wolverine, the Storm fans should thank you; the Wolverine fans will just have to get over it. You're under no obligation to alert Wolverine fans.

But there is an obligation to tell us why you're listing it. Look at it this way: If I were to post Fantastic Four #727 in the Spider-Man watch, and a bunch of Spider-Man fans went out and bought FF 727, only to find no mention of Spider-Man, they wouldn't be too happy with my explanation of "I listed it because Mamie Muggins (who's in the Spider-Man watch) appears in the book."

Give us at least one qualifying character, and it stands.

watching: both sides
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Thanks for the feed back. Doty
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

also if you all don't mind we could erase some older posts.
What, are they hurting anybody?

I generally try to houseclean this place every 2-3 months, so expect some action soon.

UPDATE: And there's the action I was referring to! Nice clean pruned Watch forum ... enjoy!

-Jeph!