INFINITY to ORIGINAL SIN

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Paul Bourcier, Kevin W., Col_Fury, Arthur, JephYork, Somebody

Col_Fury
Director
Director

Re: INFINITY to ORIGINAL SIN

Post by Col_Fury » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:40 am

SUSM 17-19 was moved to after INFINITY for the reasons noted in the AVX to INFINITY topic.

SUSMTU 5-8 is after SUSM 17-19 because of Spider-Man 2099.

SUSMTU 5-8 is before Superior Foes because of Black Cat.

Superior foes is before SUSM 20-21 because of Black Cat.

SUSM@ 1, Fatal Frontier and IM@ have all been placed.

MA2 10 is already in the ORIGINAL SIN topic.

Thanks for the SUSM 27-31 / ASM3 1-2 breakdown!

Looking good!
-Daron Jensen

Siabod
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Siabod » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 am

Hi

I think

W&X2 1-9 (DD San Francisco) (Armor loses her powers)
X3 13-17

Need to be swapped around because
1) Armor still has her powers in X3 13
2) Quentin is still at the school in X3 13, he leaves during W&X2 1-9

Siabod
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Siabod » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:36 am

I've got an issue with the placement of Avengers Undercover #8-10 as well

Currently it comes after Wolverine #1-12 and Avengers World #1-14

However, in AU Sabretooth is free and seems to be in charge of Madripor,. But in AW Gorgon seems in control, which makes sense as Sabretooth is imprisoned at the end of Wolverine

Col_Fury
Director
Director

Post by Col_Fury » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Good eye, Siabod. Thanks! :thumbsup:
-Daron Jensen

Clive_Reston
Hero
Hero

Post by Clive_Reston » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 am

A question on Secret Avengers v2 (and forgive me if this has been covered):

Currently, we've got SECA2 1-8 between AvX and Infinity, 9 apparently unaccounted for, 10-11 during Infinity, and 12-16 between Infinity and Original Sin.

But #12 picks up immediately after #8 leaves off. In the course of #3-8, Reb Ralston is killed, Daisy Johnson sends her operatives to AIM Island, and while that's going on, Maria Hill replaces her as the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. At the beginning of #8, Mockingbird has been "Harold Bainbridge" on AIM Island for "three days," and at the end of it, is pushed into a meeting with the AIM High Council. That meeting is the scene at the beginning of #12, and then the rest of #12-16 takes place in what appears to be a matter of a couple of days at most, except for the final pages of #16, which are somewhat later (in which Mockingbird meets up with Daisy and the Winter Soldier).

After a FB ("one month ago") that predates SECA2 1, #9 shows us what Daisy gets up to after being dismissed from the S.H.I.E.L.D. director gig (beginning at some point after the state funeral for Ralston), and then, "a week" later, meeting up with the Winter Soldier.

10 and 11 have a different writer, and take place during Infinity; Maria Hill is running S.H.I.E.L.D., and there's no mention of any of the stuff happening in the rest of the series. The immediate connection between 8 and 12 seems like the strong textual evidence we'd need to conclude that 10 and 11 happen out of sequence with other issues.

So I'm suggesting that the sequence goes:
AvX
SECA2 3-8
SECA2 12-16 (pp. 1-17)
SECA2 9
SECA2 16 (pp. 18-20) --this can really go anywhere after SECA2 9
INFINITY (including SECA2 10-11)

Does that cause problems with anything? (As I recall, Deadpool: The Gauntlet is a contingency here...)

Col_Fury
Director
Director

Post by Col_Fury » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:32 am

Yeah, Secret Avengers v2 had some wonky timeframe things going on.

Taking #10-11 out of sequence isn't really an option. Unless there's a note in the issue (any given comic, not just SECA2) that says otherwise, comics happen in numerical order. I mean, they're numbered for a reason, right? In super rare cases we've taken an issue of out order (ASM2 36 is the only one that springs to mind), and that's because the only two options for that comic was either take it out of order or declare it non-canon.

That's not quite the case with SECA2. Basically, the meeting at the end of #8 and the meeting at the start of #12 can't be the same meeting. The assumption is that Mockingbird has been "Harold Bainbridge" for an undetermined amount of time between those two meetings, and probably had many unseen meetings between. Yes, the implication in the story is that Mockingbird hasn't been in her situation for very long between issues #8 #12, but with three comics (and a crossover) between those two scenes, that just can't be the case.

It's not the first time a subplot had to be reinterpreted to fit the larger universe and I'm sure it won't be the last. It's just one of those uncomfortable things when a book wants to have a big uninterrupted story but gets sidetracked by a crossover.

As for #9, I'll just tack it on the end of SECA2 3-8 (for now). As far as I can tell there's no character overlap at this point for anyone appearing in this issue (and if we find any we can always move #9 to some later point, but before the Infinity crossover).

Thanks, Clive_Reston! Good question!
-Daron Jensen