When has Wolvie been near-fatally injured?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

When has Wolvie been near-fatally injured?

Post by JephYork »

According to Wolverine v3 #58-59, every time Wolverine's body is fatally injured, his soul goes to purgatory and battles Lazaer. When Wolvie wins, he goes back to his body, which has healed up nicely in the interim.

W3 #58 shows several battles with Lazaer, all in different costumes. I'm trying to match each one up to a horrible, near-fatal injury Wolverine suffered.

1 - as Patch. I mark this as Wolverine: Origins Annual #1 fb, where he's cut almost in half by a Hand ninja.

2 - as Experiment X. It must be sometime during the Marvel Comics Presents arc -- maybe the Adamantium bonding process itself?

3 - in his classic yellow costume. I'm stumped.

4 - in his 1980s brown costume. I'm stumped.

5 - in his "noseless" doo-rag costume. I mark this as the plane crash in X-Men #65, where he was noted as dead for the first half of Wolverine #115.

So -- can anyone point out instances during Wolverine's yellow-costume phase (UXM #94-138) and his brown-costume phase (UXM #139-280), where he's suffered a horrible, near-fatal injury -- or where he's been pronounced dead, and then recovered?

(Note: Uncanny X-Men Annual #11 doesn't count. He was resurrected magically instantly after dying.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Jeph!
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: When has Wolvie been near-fatally injured?

Post by Leoparis »

Classic yellow
What about the period when he returned to that costume in the 1990s?
Or, during the Dark Phoenix saga wasn't he injured and thought dead by the Hellfire Club?

Why doesn't Annual #11 count? Maybe the magical resurrection referred to the body but he still had to get his soul back in it.

What about the time Punisher flattened him? I don't remember if he had a costume (probably not)
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

The flashbacks seem to be arranged in chronological order. The yellow-costume flashback comes before the brown-costume one, so I assume we're looking at his first period of wearing it.

The Annual doesn't count because Wolvie wasn't dead for any length of time -- he was instantly elevated to a higher plane of existence (and given a new body) once a drop of blood from his previous, dying body touched the crystal. It doesn't fit with the established Lazaer-fight setup where his soul duels the Angel of Death during the time his physical body heals up.

-Jeph!
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

Wolverine was near death when Donald Pierce, Lady Deathstrike & the Reavers attacked him in Australia and nailed him to a cross Uncanny X-Men #251. In fact, his healing factor was so badly damaged during his torture and exposure here that it didn't fully recover until shortly before he took on the "noseless pirate" look.

Wolverine was also near death when Magneto pulled the adamantium off his bones in X-Men #25-Wolverine #75. In fact Jean had to try and keep his body together telekineticly while telepathicly trying to keep his mind from shutting down and was having a rough time of it.
"May the Light shine forever!"
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Michael »

In M/CP 4-6, Wolverine was very badly injured and only survived due to Tyger Tiger's help. He probably passed out at some point during his ordeal.