Lockheed
Lydia (ship's AI)

Thane
Thane's flock (none named)
Mister Knife (J-Son)
Czar Doon
Bligh

Ma Savage
children at the Savage Orphanage (only Lula is named)
Misa the Hunter
Ebony Maw (a hallucination only Thane can see and hear)
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Legendary Star-Lord #8

Post by Paul Bourcier »

The recap page spells Peter Quill's father's name "J-Son," but I believe it should be "J'son."

Is Ebony Maw's presence indeed only a hallucination, or is it somehow really him?
Paul B.
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Paul Bourcier wrote:The recap page spells Peter Quill's father's name "J-Son," but I believe it should be "J'son."
Peter Quill's father's name was spelt "J'Son" (or "J'son") in his first appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1 but by issue #2 is was being spelt "J-Son."

Since then, it has mostly been spelt "J-Son" but "J'Son" has popped up a few times as well (like during his appearances in the ongoing Captain Marvel series).

None of the writers involved have explained this inconsistency so I came up with my own explanation: His name was spelt "J'Son" while he was only a prince but was changed to "J-Son" once he became king. Granted, it's not much but I don't think anybody else is going to bother trying to account for the different spellings. It will probably just be dismissed as alternate spellings which are permitted within the (alien) Spartax language.
Paul Bourcier wrote:Is Ebony Maw's presence indeed only a hallucination, or is it somehow really him?
There was a similar situation in the Thanos: A God Up There Listening miniseries in which it was strongly suggested that Ebony Maw and another character were only products of Thane's imagination (because the original, living characters had been killed when Thanos led them in an attack on Ego the Living Planet some time before). However, I don't think that it was ever definitely established that Ebony Maw was only a hallucination. Instead, I got the impression that he may have existed in a non-corporeal state which only Thane could see and hear. Of course, Ebony Maw played a significant part in the Infinity miniseries and its tie-ins so the character was definitely present at that time and visible to multiple characters, not just Thanos and Thane. Clearly, there's something about the character that needs to be explained. Maybe the upcoming Black Vortex storyline will provide an answer?
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Thanks for the explanations, Don.
Paul B.