FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Paul Bourcier, Kevin W., Col_Fury, Arthur, JephYork, Somebody

User avatar
Col_Fury
Director
Director
Posts: 6294
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:37 am
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Col_Fury » Thu May 28, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks, Paul!
Emerald_616 wrote:for New Mutants #37, does the presence of the Hel-Hound puppy Warlock has hidden help with placement?
Loki gave the Hel-puppy to Warlock in JiM 632 (where Thor's still "dead"), which has to happen before Thor's return in Thor #8-12, which has to happen before W4 16 (where Thor appears), which has to happen before Schism, which has to happen before NM3 33 (after Schism, New Mutants relocate to San Fran). Luckily, San Francisco isn't mentioned in JiM 632. :thumbsup:
Emerald_616 wrote:I believe Secret Avengers #22-25 happens after Final Execution because of Captain Britain. However, I'm unsure as I haven't actually read those issues, only the brief synopses. But considering his preoccupation with Otherworld battles in Uncanny X-Force, he seemed to be solely there and not splitting time on an Avengers squad (and both were written by Remender, who at least respects his own continuity).
Captain Britain is also tied up in Otherworld shenanigans in JiM 639-641, for what it's worth.
Emerald_616 wrote:I forgot my theory about X-Treme X-Men v2 1-7.
I like it. What do others think?
-Daron Jensen

Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru
Posts: 5287
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Milton, Florida

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Jason Doty » Thu May 28, 2015 9:36 pm

Am I correct in saying Dazzler is in one scene in one issue fighting Spider-Woman in Latveria? If so I would prefer to ignore her there or if we must accommodate the appearance, have her comeback to the 616 for unknown reasons and leave again for unknown reasons, between an arc of X-Treme X-Men and before #7.1, maybe between 3 and 4.

Midnighter
Hero
Hero
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:47 am

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Midnighter » Fri May 29, 2015 4:20 am

Jason Doty wrote:Am I correct in saying Dazzler is in one scene in one issue fighting Spider-Woman in Latveria? If so I would prefer to ignore her there or if we must accommodate the appearance, have her comeback to the 616 for unknown reasons and leave again for unknown reasons, between an arc of X-Treme X-Men and before #7.1, maybe between 3 and 4.
In X-Treme X-Men 7.1 she clearly has no idea of what's happened in AVX.

Paul Bourcier
Director
Director
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:51 am
Location: Florida

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Paul Bourcier » Fri May 29, 2015 6:15 am

On to Cap...

Captain America v6 #1-5 occur over two days, weeks before CA6 6. We may have to go with publication order for placement of this arc.

Captain America v6 #6-10 occur over two days. Publication order puts this arc after CA6 10. The fact that Hydra Queen has to negotiate with Madame Hydra and Gorgon, not Norman Osborn, suggests that this arc occurs before NA2 16.1. Because of Hawkeye’s costume, this arc must occur after AvSM 1, AS 5, and AAC 21 and probably after AAC 25. Machinesmith must appear here after ASTONX3 42. Since Stark is based in Avengers Mansion, this arc must occur before Avengers Tower opens in Avengers Assemble #1. Going by publication order, this arc would occur before CA&H 629.

Captain America v6 #11-14 occur over six days. (The order is CA6 11-FB, CA6 12-13, CA6 11, CA6 14.) This arc occurs a little less than a month after CA6 6-10. Based on publication order, I'd put CA&...629-635 in that month-long gap.

Captain America and Hawkeye #629-632 happen one day.

Captain America and Iron Man #633-635 happen one day, a few weeks before CA&BW 636.

Captain America and Black Widow #636-640 occur on a snowy day.
Paul B.

Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru
Posts: 5287
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:24 pm
Location: Milton, Florida

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Jason Doty » Fri May 29, 2015 5:32 pm

Midnighter wrote:In X-Treme X-Men 7.1 she clearly has no idea of what's happened in AVX.
So I take it you are of the opinion that she was not there also?

User avatar
Col_Fury
Director
Director
Posts: 6294
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:37 am
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Col_Fury » Fri May 29, 2015 7:13 pm

It looks like Captain America and… #620-628 takes place entirely in the past.

Some Daredevil v3 notes:

DD3 1-3 happen over three days, then the last two pages of #3 happen sometime later (a few days to a week later?) Captain America appears in #1-2, and a flashback in #2 establishes that DD: Reborn #1-4 happens after Bucky’s trial starts. Also, I’m not seeing Daredevil during Spider-Island, so in theory his return (DD3 1) should be after that.

DD3 4 happens over a period of time while Nelson & Murdock coach their clients. DD3 5 happens the same night as the end of DD3 4, and DD3 6 happens that same night. Bruiser appears (his first), and so must occur before X2 25-27.

DD3 7 happens very shortly before ASM 677, some undisclosed amount of time after DD3 6. Snow all over the place.

Some Punisher v9 notes:

P9 5 happens sometime after P9 4, and after Spider-Island. Also, the MCP currently has this after ASM 675. Happens in one snowy night. Leads into P9 6, which is probably the same night. P9 7 is the day after P9 6. P9 8 picks up where P9 6 left off, and then P9 7 happens during P9 8, and then the rest of P9 8 happens that night. P9 9 happens the same night, and leads into P9 10 (which crosses over with AVENGSM 6 & DD3 11). It doesn’t happen immediately before; Punisher has to have time to put together a plan first.

P9 10 crosses over with AVENGSM 6 & DD3 11.

P9 11 is currently placed after Incredible Hulk #8 in the MCP. It’s mainly a flashback, happens in one night, and the main story takes place shortly after that. Same night or early the next day (meaning, after midnight, maybe). Carlie Cooper appears.

P9 12-16 happens over a week, give or take. Norah Winter appears in #12 & 15-16. Phil Urich appears in #12 at some point after he becomes the Hobgoblin.

Here's where we're at:

FEAR ITSELF
DPOOL4 37-FB
A4 13-18 / NA2 14-16 (the current day interview parts)
TB 163.1
ASOLO 1-5 (back-ups)
FI:FEARLESS 1-12
Defenders 1-12 (just the book-end 616 bits)
Journey into Mystery 631-636
Mighty Thor 8-17
Iron Man 2.0 8-12
Iron Man 510-527
(red) Hulk 42-46
ASM 665 & -FBs
X-Men v2 7-10
ASM 666-673 & Spider-Island tie-ins (inc BP6 524, Venom 6-8 & HERC 7-8)
X-Men v2 11
Wolverine: the Best there Is 1-12
X-Men Giant-Size 1
X-Men v2 12-15
GENH 9
X-Men v2 16-19
DD3 1-3
Moon Knight v8 1-12
ANNIS:Earthfall 1-4
ASM 674-675
CA6 1-5
DD3 4-6
BP6 525-529
X-Men: Legacy 250-258
W4 10-16 (1 - 18)
X-Men: Prelude to Schism 1-4
W4 16 (19 – 20)
X-Men: SCHISM 1-5 (inc GENH 10-12, X:L 259-260, UX 544 & X:Regenesis)
[W&X 2-FB]
W4 17-19
X-Factor 230-236
[W&X 3-FB]
[W&X 17 (3:5 - 5:4)-FB]
[W&X 17 (7:1 - 10:3)-FB]
Wolverine & the X-Men 1-3
W&X:A&O 1-5
W2 302-FB
W2 310-313
[PO 1-FB]
Avenging Spider-Man 1-3
Avengers Academy 21-22
Magneto: Not a Hero 1-4
(red) Hulk 47-48
X-23 v3 17-20
Venom 11-14
X-23 v3 21
Avengers Academy 23-28
UX2 1 (1-10)
ASTONX3 44-47
New Mutants v3 33-36
UX2 1 (11-28)-3 & 4-FB
X-Men v3 20-29
UX2 5-8 & 4
CA6 6-10
New Avengers v2 16.1
Avenging Spider-Man 4-5
(red) Hulk 49
Avengers: X-Sanction 1-4
New Avengers v2 17-23
Avengers v4 19-24
F.F. 3-11
Fantastic Four 600-604 / F.F. 12-16
W4 20
W2 300-303
Daken: Dark Wolverine 21-23
W&X 4 (1:1 - 1:2)
Uncanny X-Force 10-19 (1 - 15)
W&X 4 (1:3 - 1:5)
UXFOR 19 (16 - 20) - 23
W&X 4 (2 - 18)
W2 304
DPOOL4 50-54
Uncanny X-Force 24-35
Vengeance 1-6
ASM 676
X-Men: Legacy 261-265
DD3 7
ASM 677
DD3 8-10
ASM 678-679
GENH 13-17
ASM 679.1
(red) Hulk 50-52
Uncanny X-Men v2 9-10
XCLUB 1-5
CarnageUSA 1-5
P9 5-9
CA& 629-632
Avenging Spider-Man 6 / P9 10 / DD3 11
[M/HOL 2011/2]
[W&X 17 (5)-FB]
W&X 5-8
[W&X 12 (6 - 7)-FB]
CA& 633-635
Avenging Spider-Man 7
ASM 680-684 / Ends of the Earth / ASM 685-687 / Avenging Spider-Man 8
ASM 688-691
NM3 42-43 / JiM 637-638
[ASTONX3 52-FB]
ASTONX3 48-56 & @1
Incredible Hulk (the Jason Aaron volume) 12
[A:CC 9 (16:4 - 20:2)]
[W&X 17 (20)-FB]
CA6 CA6 11-FB, CA6 12-13, CA6 11, CA6 14
ASM@ 39
W2 305-308
Journey into Mystery 639-641
Fantastic Four 607-608
P9 11-16
CA& 636-640
New Mutants v3 44-49
AVX 0
Avengers Assemble 1-6
W2 309-VO
X-Men v2 #30-37
AVENGERS vs. X-MEN


And here’s what needs to get filled in:

Avengers: Solo 1-5 (main story)
Fantastic Four #605-606
F.F. #17-20
Herc #9-10
Incredible Hulk (Jason Aaron volume) #1-11, 13-15
Legion of Monsters v2 #1-4 (off to the side, before ASM 679.1)
New Mutants v3 #37-41
Scarlet Spider v2 #1-5
Secret Avengers #16-25
Thunderbolts #163-174
Venom #9-10, 15-22
Villains for Hire #0.1-4 (off to the side, before AVENGSM 4)
X-Treme X-Men v2 #1-???
-Daron Jensen

Paul Bourcier
Director
Director
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:51 am
Location: Florida

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Paul Bourcier » Fri May 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Avengers Solo #1-4 occur over five days. Because Hawkeye wears his old costume here, this arc must occur before CA6 6, A4 19, and AAC 22.

Fantastic Four #605 is a one-day standalone story. Same thing with Fantastic Four #606.

FF #17 is a 2-day story. Johnny's been living with Peter Parker for three weeks, so it's at least that long since FF #16 and likely that long since ASM 687.

FF #18 occurs the week before FF 20 and weeks before FF 21. This issue occurs before FFOUR 607.

FF #19 occurs between FFOUR 607 and 608 (all the same day).

FF #20 occurs on Thursday the 12th.

HERC #9-10 occur on one day, shortly after HERC 8.

I believe New Mutants v3 #37-40 occur over two days. The arc occurs after JIM 632 and a few days before NM3 41.

I believe Scarlet Spider v2 #1-4 occur over four days. The arc occurs weeks after ASM 671.

Secret Avengers #16 is a one-day standalone.

Secret Avengers #17 is a one-day standalone that occurs three days after its FB.

Secret Avengers #18 is a one-day standalone.

Secret Avengers #19 is a one-day standalone.

Secret Avengers #20 is a one-day standalone (FBs not included).

Secret Avengers #21 is a one-day standalone.

Secret Avengers #21.1 is a one-day standalone that probably occurs after AAC 26. Hawkeye remarks about his "new suit."

Secret Avengers #22-25 occur over two days. Because a billboard of the Avengers with the Vision is shown in SECA 23, this arc must occur after A4 22. This arc must also occur after Venom 15. Captain Britain probably appears here after UXFOR 24 and JIM 641. The arc must occur before Carnage USA #1.

Venom #9 occurs right after (same day as) ASM 673. It's probably a few days before issue #10.

Venom #10-12 occur over four days. Venom #13, 13.1-13.4, and 14 occur over one day, perhaps the day after issue #12. Red Hulk appears here before Hulk #50.

Venom #15 occurs on one day, a few days after issue #14 and a few weeks after Venom #7. This issue must occur before SECA 23.

Venom #16 is a one-day story during basketball season that may occur after Carnage USA #5, based on publication order.

Venom #17-21 (1-19) occur during one day. Days separate pages 19-20 of issue #21, and I believe 1:1-21:1 of issue #21 occurs in that gap. Venom #22 (21:2-21:5) occurs the same day as Venom #21 (20).

Villains for Hire #1 occurs on one day, and issues #2-4 occur over two days later that week. Publication order places Tiger Shark here before Wolverine #304.
Paul B.

Paul Bourcier
Director
Director
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:51 am
Location: Florida

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Paul Bourcier » Fri May 29, 2015 8:21 pm

Thunderbolts #163-167, 169-170, 172-174 involve time travel and aren't useful for building a chronological spine.

Thunderbolts #168 probably occurs the week before issue #171. A gap of three weeks exists between pages 18 and 19 of TB 171. TB 171 ends sometime before Dark Avengers #175.

Incredible Hulk #1-7 occur over two days. The arc must occur before AAS 1. Doom may appear here after X-Men #19.

The first seven pages of Incredible Hulk #7.1 probably occur during the two days following issue #7. Doom must appear here before FF 3. I think pages 8-20 of Incredible Hulk #7.1 occur later.

I'd lump Incredible Hulk #8-15 together but the time that passes is open to interpretation. It ends a few weeks after Incredible Hulk #6. Based on publication order, Punisher appears in issue #8 after DD3 11. The arc must occur before AAS 1.
Paul B.

User avatar
Col_Fury
Director
Director
Posts: 6294
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:37 am
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Col_Fury » Sat May 30, 2015 1:31 am

Thanks!

I agree Captain Britain should appear in Secret Avengers 22-25 after Uncanny X-Force 35. The Otherworld stuff that happens in JiM 639-641 is unrelated to UXFOR 10-35, though, and doesn’t need to be tied to the UXFOR stuff.

Also, I take it back! CA& 620-624 take place in the past, narrated by Winter Soldier in the present. The last few pages of CA& 624 take place in the present and feature Winter Soldier, his sister and Black Widow. CA& 625-628 take place in the present and feature Cap, Jim Hammond and Fred Davis. Both take place shortly-ish after Fear Itself.

Here’s where we’re at:

FEAR ITSELF
DPOOL4 37-FB
A4 13-18 / NA2 14-16 (the current day interview parts)
TB 163.1
ASOLO 1-5 (& back-ups)
FI:FEARLESS 1-12
Defenders 1-12 (just the book-end 616 bits)
Journey into Mystery 631-636
Mighty Thor 8-17
Iron Man 2.0 8-12
Avengers: Children’s Crusade 1-9 (1 - 15)
X-Factor 225-228
CA& 624 (last few pages)
X-23 v3 13-16
NA@2 1 / A@2 1
Venom 2-5
Iron Man 510-527
(red) Hulk 42-46
ASM 665 & -FBs
X-Men v2 7-10
ASM 666-673 & Spider-Island tie-ins (inc BP6 524, Venom 6-8 & HERC 7-8)
Venom 9
X-Men v2 11
Herc 9-10
Secret Avengers 16-21
Wolverine: the Best there Is 1-12
X-Men Giant-Size 1
X-Men v2 12-15
GENH 9
X-Men v2 16-19
DD3 1-3
Moon Knight v8 1-12
ANNIS:Earthfall 1-4
ASM 674-675
CA6 1-5
DD3 4-6
BP6 525-529
CA& 625-628
X-Men: Legacy 250-258
W4 10-16 (1 - 18)
X-Men: Prelude to Schism 1-4
W4 16 (19 – 20)
X-Men: SCHISM 1-5 (inc GENH 10-12, X:L 259-260, UX 544 & X:Regenesis)
[W&X 2-FB]
W4 17-19
X-Factor 230-236
[W&X 3-FB]
[W&X 17 (3:5 - 5:4)-FB]
[W&X 17 (7:1 - 10:3)-FB]
Wolverine & the X-Men 1-3
W&X:A&O 1-5
W2 302-FB
W2 310-313
[PO 1-FB]
Avenging Spider-Man 1-3
Avengers Academy 21-22
Magneto: Not a Hero 1-4
Thunderbolts 163-171
Legion of Monsters v2 1-4
(red) Hulk 47-48
X-23 v3 17-20
Venom 10-15
X-23 v3 21
Avengers Academy 23-28
Secret Avengers 21.1
UX2 1 (1-10)
ASTONX3 44-47
New Mutants v3 33-36
X-Men v3 20-29
Incredible Hulk 1-7.1
CA6 6-10
Villains for Hire 0.1-4
New Avengers v2 16.1
Avenging Spider-Man 4-5
(red) Hulk 49
Avengers: X-Sanction 1-4
New Avengers v2 17-23
Avengers v4 19, 20 (1-8)
Quake: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50th Anniversary 1
Avengers v4 20 (9-20), 21-24 & 24.1
F.F. 3-11
Fantastic Four 600-604 / F.F. 12-16
New Mutants v3 37-41
W4 20
W2 300-303
Daken: Dark Wolverine 21-23
W&X 4 (1:1 - 1:2)
Uncanny X-Force 10-19 (1 - 15)
W&X 4 (1:3 - 1:5)
UXFOR 19 (16 - 20) - 23
W&X 4 (2 - 18)
W2 304
DPOOL4 50-54
Uncanny X-Force 24-35
UX2 1 (11-28)-3 & 4-FB
Vengeance 1-6
UX2 5-8 & 4
ASM 676
DD: Dark Nights #6-8
X-Men: Legacy 261-265
DD3 7
ASM 677
DD3 8-10
ASM 678-679
GENH 13-17
ASM 679.1
Secret Avengers 22-25
(red) Hulk 50-52
Uncanny X-Men v2 9-10
XCLUB 1-5
CarnageUSA 1-5
Scarlet Spider v2 1-4
Venom 16
Fan Four 605
P9 5-9
Thunderbolts 171-174
CA& 629-632
Avenging Spider-Man 6 / P9 10 / DD3 11
[M/HOL 2011/2]
[W&X 17 (5)-FB]
W&X 5-8
[W&X 12 (6 - 7)-FB]
CA& 633-635
Avenging Spider-Man 7
ASM 680-684 / Ends of the Earth / ASM 685-687 / Avenging Spider-Man 8
ASM 688-691
Fan Four 606
NM3 42-43 / JiM 637-638
[ASTONX3 52-FB]
ASTONX3 48-56 & @1
Incredible Hulk 8-15
[A:CC 9 (16:4 - 20:2)]
[W&X 17 (20)-FB]
CA6 11-FB, CA6 12-13, CA6 11, CA6 14
ASM@ 39
W2 305-308
Venom 17-22
Journey into Mystery 639-641
F.F. 17-18
Fantastic Four 607 / F.F. 19 / Fan Four 608
F.F. 20
P9 11-16
PPSM 156.1
WOSM 129.1, 129.2
New Mutants v3 44-49
X-Men v2 30-37
CA& 636-640
Nova v5 #1-5
AVX 0
Avengers Assemble 1-8
W2 309-VO
AVENGERS vs. X-MEN

How’s it look?

X-Treme X-Men v2 #1 is still up in the air. One suggestion is to ignore Dazzler’s appearance during the AvX crossover, another is to place it after Dazzler’s appearance during AvX, before everything goes to hell for the X-Men.

Also, DPOOL4 55-63 have to happen in here somewhere (Deadpool get his healing factor back).

Take a gander at Paul B.’s AvX chronology!

Up next: AvX to INFINITY!
-Daron Jensen

Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Frans » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:17 am

Thanks. I'm missing Avengers 24.1 and Avengers 25-FB on this list. Also why is there a bunch of issues places between Avengers vs X-Men #0 and the start of the crossover AvX?

Answer to Dazzler dangler: I'm not a big fan of ignoring appearances, so I would vote for trying to fit it in with a few assumptions.

Paul Bourcier
Director
Director
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:51 am
Location: Florida

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Paul Bourcier » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:13 am

Frans wrote:
Also why is there a bunch of issues places between Avengers vs X-Men #0 and the start of the crossover AvX?
The Avengers are still meeting in the mansion in AVX 0. They move into the newly completed Avengers Tower in Avengers Assemble #1.
Paul B.

Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Frans » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Paul Bourcier wrote:Frans wrote:
Also why is there a bunch of issues places between Avengers vs X-Men #0 and the start of the crossover AvX?
The Avengers are still meeting in the mansion in AVX 0. They move into the newly completed Avengers Tower in Avengers Assemble #1.
Thank you Paul. Not to be disrespectful, but how is that so relevant for placing. They meet in the Mansion in New Avengers 24 as well. And that's just a day before AvX and is an extremely big meeting... I think it's rather strange to have the prologue of AvX separated from the crossover AvX for that sole reason and IMO not necessary.

Furthermore when placing Avengers 24.1 and 25-FB you will notice that the reason is not valid. I think there even were discussions about Avengers 25-FB since Thor returns there. "Discussion about him being dead after Fear Itself and nobody remembering him, while he still appeared in some comics without explaining anywhere he came back."
In Avengers 24.1 Vision hears the story about crazy Wanda from Iron Man who is in a room with a lot of screens. Then he meets She-Hulk first and goes to Utopia to confront Magneto. After that he returns to the garden of the Mansion.
In Avengers 25-FB Vision fights with the Avengers. Storm is there as well as Thor. Also it states that Captain America trains in Avengers Tower and not in Avengers Mansion.
Both issues have to happen before AvX 0. Avengers 24.1 because of Vision hearing about Wanda and 25-FB because Thor returns there from travels, while in AvX 0 Thor is already in the Mansion.

Maybe I'm missing something, then please tell me.

Paul Bourcier
Director
Director
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:51 am
Location: Florida

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Paul Bourcier » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Hey, Frans. You got me working here!

It all comes down to weighing evidence.

Avengers vs. X-Men #0 is intended to be a prelude, or at least it's marketed as such. But look at the story here -- not only doesn't it lead into issue #1, and not only is there no evidence in issue #1 that issue #0 just happened, but the story in issue #0 really doesn't have anything to do with AVX. Wanda returns to the Avengers in issue #0, and Wanda plays a role in the main story arc of AVX. That's it. (It's the second story in this comic, the one featuring Hope and the Phoenix Force, that has a more direct tie-in to AVX.)

Why presume that there's no gap between two consecutive issues of a title (or between different stories in a single comic)? Such gaps exist all the time. The fact that in the real world Marvel decided to include the return of the Scarlet Witch story in a comic titled Avengers vs. X-Men #0 is not a 616-specific piece of evidence. Like real-world publication order, it's not high on the list of evidence, especially when in-story references make a little more sense when you ignore such publication details.

Here's what makes most sense to me from the perspective of 616 events:

1) The main team of Avengers (Cap, Iron Man, those guys) is based at Avengers Mansion
2) Avengers Mansion gets a grand opening and the main team is now based there (why go back to the Mansion when you have a state-of-the-art new facility?)
3) Luke Cage's team still hangs out at Avengers Mansion after the main team goes to the Tower

#1 above is shown in Avengers vs. X-Men #0; Ms. Marvel (of Cage's team) and Spider-Woman (of Cap's team) take Wanda to the Mansion (not the Tower), where we see members of Cap's team, including Iron Man (the creator of the Tower) and Vision, who tells Wanda that the Mansion isn't her home anymore; that would be rather presumptuous if his team wasn't even based there at the time)
#2 above is shown in Avengers Assemble #1 (leading into issues #2-#8)
#3 above is shown in the flashback in New Avengers v2 #24 (an AVX crossover); the way I see this, Cap's team comes to the mansion to brief Cage's team and everyone about the Phoenix Force (Cap's team isn't based at the Mansion; they can't be -- it's clearly after Avengers Assemble #1-8).

Okay, you say, but what about the flashback in Avengers v4 #25? Thor returns to the Avengers at the Tower (not the Mansion), and Thor HAS to appear here before both Avengers vs. X-Men #0 and Avengers Assemble #1. Yup, no way around that, but I never said that the Avengers *couldn't* be in the Tower *before* the big public celebration of the its opening. Surely, the team is in there quite a bit, seeing to details of the construction and the installation of furnishings and equipment. It's not at all out of the question for Thor to find Cap at the Tower (Cap is shown in the new training room, perhaps giving it a tryout -- that's what the robots are there for, as Stark says). How did Thor think to show up at the Tower? ("Hey, Thor, good to hear from you buddy! We're at the new Tower we're building, come on over!")

So, the way I see it:

1) Avengers v4 #25 - FB -- Thor returns (fact). Tower nearing completion but both teams still based at the Mansion (supposition based on necessary placement before Assemble #1).

2) Avengers vs. X-Men #0 -- Thor is present (fact) and both teams are still based at the Mansion (supposition based on plot and character circumstances).

3) Avengers Assemble #1-8 -- Completion of the Tower and the attendant PR (fact). Thor is here (fact). Cap's team is based here from now on (logical supposition).

4) New Avengers v2 #24 - FB [AVX] -- Cap gathers Avengers at the Mansion even though the Tower is complete (fact) and his team is based there (logical supposition).
Paul B.

Frans
Big Bad
Big Bad
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Frans » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Paul Bourcier wrote:Hey, Frans. You got me working here!
That's the idea :D

Can totally live with your explanation. Pretty solid. Can you also explain why the X-Men 30-37 issues have to be in between AvX #0 and the crossover?

Paul Bourcier
Director
Director
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:51 am
Location: Florida

Re: FEAR ITSELF to AVX

Post by Paul Bourcier » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:42 pm

My notes don't make specific reference to the placement of these X-Men issues relative to Avengers vs. X-Men #0.
Paul B.

Post Reply