Savage Hulk (1996) problems

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

PunyBanner
Hero
Hero

Savage Hulk (1996) problems

Post by PunyBanner »

So it looks like the courtroom framing sequence in the Savage Hulk one-shot is impossible to place due to the Leader's appearance.. Currently it is placed between IH 434 and 435 but the Leader was killed in IH 400 and his body did not reform until years later in IH3 30-31 (and these issues even reference his death in IH 400) and then I think he died again right after that. It can't be placed before IH 400 because Hulk mentions Rick's "lovely wife" Marlo and they married in IH 418. Should this one-shot be considered out of continuity?
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Savage Hulk (1996) problems

Post by wolverine7230 »

Haven't read this in a long time and my knowledge of the Hulk's chronology leaves a LOT to be desired, but isn't the Leader's appearance here just among a mass of other villains, and could maybe be classed as an art error?
Or could the use of the word "wife" have been a slip instead of the more correct "fiance"?

Also on a sidenote, is this the issue where the Howard the Duck movie is mentioned as being in-universe? Loved that, whatever comic it was in. Attempted to rewatch it the other week... needless to say I barely got half an hour in...
intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Savage Hulk (1996) problems

Post by intp »

Honestly, the first time I read this story, I didn't think it was canon, but I really enjoyed it. I just viewed it as just a humorous and clever story. For example, the female juror flirting with Hulk is obviously supposed to be Bobby Chase, former editor on the series. When I saw it in the Chronology Project, I was surprised but pleased.

There are many problems with the villains here, in addition to the Leader. Gargoyle died in Hulk # 1 (1962/05) and has never been brought back. Similarly, Piecemeal was killed by Hulk in # 408. Hammer and Anvil were killed in Marvel Fanfare # 29. There may well be problems with others.

But on the other hand, dead characters come back with such startling regularity that I suppose it's possible that these characters are back.

The Leader's appearance is a serious problem, though. One theory I've had as a fan of David's Hulk run is that the Leader transferred his mind, in Hulk # 400, not into Omnibus, but rather into the seemingly super-smart mice that he kept. Those mice got loose at some point and could have reformed the Leader, at least temporarily. David's run got derailed by Heroes Reborn and then ended shortly after Heroes Return, so we never really got to see what he might have done with the Leader. The Leader's odd appearance in Hulk # 31 seemed to be entirely Jenkins' idea. I know this is a bit of a stretch, but one I would love to have borne out some day, maybe in a flashback story.