Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wolverine: Long Night (adaptation)

Post by Col_Fury »

I don't think this can be canon.

Wolverine has metal bones & claws and is hiding/running from Weapon X. His memory is a mess, but remembers wearing his blue & gold tiger stripe suit. That means it's after he's found by the Hudsons, is rehabilitated and becomes an agent for Department H. However, he's been in Alaska for five months, and before that he was in New Orleans living with a Maureen, all the while hiding/running from Weapon X. He's been hiding for at least six months, if not a year or more. Also in Alaska, he fights a Wendigo. Also in Alaska, Wolverine knows what a Sentinel is, and that Weapon X is using a fancy new model that can pass as a human.

Is there any spot where Wolverine can leave Department H for a year, and then return and they take him back in? And why would he be hiding from Weapon X if he's already with Department H? And at a time where advanced Sentinels that can pass as human are a thing?
-Daron Jensen
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Wolverine: Long Night (adaptation)

Post by Midnighter »

Being the adaptation of a podcast it should be out of continuity, but I can't find any official statements about it now. In the following podcast (Lost Trail), Logan returns to New Orleans and runs into Gambit and Mastermind, and things are even more irreconcilable.
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by ShadZ »

The podcast itself is definitely in its own continuity -- see https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/26/wolve ... interview/ for example. In fact, the head writer is already referring to the Marvel Podcast Universe: https://mashable.com/2017/12/04/wolveri ... ben-percy/

If the comic book is staying faithful to the podcast and is not trying to adjust plot points to tell a 616 version of the podcast, then I think we can say it is MPU too and ignore it.
ShadZ
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Post by dimadick »

Col_Fury wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:19 am Also in Alaska, Wolverine knows what a Sentinel is, and that Weapon X is using a fancy new model that can pass as a human.
The Prime Sentinels associated with the Zero Tolerance organization could pass as human. That was what gave them an edge in their original stories from c. 1997.
Col_Fury wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:19 am Is there any spot where Wolverine can leave Department H for a year, and then return and they take him back in? And why would he be hiding from Weapon X if he's already with Department H? And at a time where advanced Sentinels that can pass as human are a thing?
He did not spend all these years in Department H. Several stories have him working as a secret agent after being rescued by the Hudsons. See here for details: http://wolverinefiles.com/020-license-to-kill/:
*"X-Men #140 (Dec 1980) – “Rage”
Writer: Chris Claremont; Plotter – Penciler: John Byrne; Inker: Terry Austin
It is revealed that the Canadian Secret Service used Logan for all of their “…dirty, brutal, necessary assignments no one else would touch…” and that the Canadian government gave him a license to kill."
*"Uncanny X-Men #154 (Feb 1982) – “Reunion”
Writer: Chris Claremont; Artist: Dave Cockrum, Bob Wiacek and Josef Rubinstein
Logan tells Carol Danvers that when she was in Air Force Intelligence and he was in Canadian Intelligence, they ran missions together with her partner Michael Rossi. “We ran some pretty hairy capers together. Those were the good times.” "
*"Spider-Man vs. Wolverine #1 (Feb 1987) – “High Tide”
Writer: James C. Owsley; Penciler: Mark Bright; Inker: Al Williamson
Logan and an extraordinary female intelligence agent by the name of Charlemagne reminisce about earlier days when they lived life on the edge. It is conceivable that the two worked together in intelligence during the late 1960s when Logan worked for Canadian Intelligence and Charlie was a freelancer. This is the most probable placement as Charlie is not surprised by the presence of Logan’s claws during a later meeting in Berlin."
*"Marvel Fanfare #24 (Jan 1986) – “Elegy”
Writer: Chris Claremont; Penciler: David Ross; Inker: Bob Wiacek
Carol Danvers and Logan discuss their past in a solemn moment. Logan notes that they have “…been friends a long time. I know you as well as I know myself.” Carol adds, “I owe you my life, Logan! I remember every detail of every mission including, maybe especially that last night in Lubyanka prison.”"
*"Uncanny X-Men #182 (June 1984) – “Madness”
Writer: Chris Claremont; Artists: John Romita, Jr. & Dan Green
Rogue, using Carol Danver’s absorbed memories, relates how Colonel Michael Rossi and Logan broke Carol Danvers out of Lubyanka prison. Colonel Rossi confirms those events."
*"Uncanny X-Men #251 (Late Nov 1989) – “Fever Dream”
Writer: Chris Claremont; Artists: Marc Silvestri & Dan Green
Near death, Wolverine hallucinates about Carol Danvers. “You saved me from the KGB – against impossible odds – when everyone had abandoned me.”"
*"Wolverine #126 (Jul 1998) – “Blood Wedding”
Creators: Chris Claremont & Leinil Francis Yu; Inker: Edgar Tadeo & Gerry Alanguilan
Logan remembers a time with Seraph after he had acquired adamantium claws. It is possible that as an agent, Logan passed through Madripoor and became reacquainted with Seraph. It was also during this period that Logan worked with Viper, prior to her joining Hydra."
*"Marvel Fanfare #24 (Jan 1986) – “Elegy”
Writer: Chris Claremont; Penciler: David Ross; Inker: Bob Wiacek
Logan and Nick Fury reminisce about their last mission together before Logan joined the X-Men as Wolverine. Logan reminds Nick that it was in “…Vladivostok, just before you got tapped to take over S.H.I.E.L.D.”"
*"Classic X-Men #3 (Nov 1986) – “Warhunt!”
Writer: Chris Claremont; Plotter: Len Wein; Penciler: Dave Cockrum; Inker: Sam Grainger
Cyclops states that Wolverine was stationed at NORAD’s Valhalla base in the United States while serving in the Canadian military."
*"X-Men #94 (Aug 1974) – “Chapter Two: Death O’er Valhalla High!”
Writer: Chris Claremont; Plotter: Len Wein; Artist: Dave Cockrum
Wolverine tells Banshee that he has friends at Valhalla, the NORAD Command Center."
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Wolverine's time in Canadian Intelligence was prior to Weapon X, and well before the Prime Sentinels.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Post by dimadick »

StrayLamb wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:34 pm Wolverine's time in Canadian Intelligence was prior to Weapon X, and well before the Prime Sentinels.
He supposedly did not have memories of his life prior to Weapon X.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

dimadick wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:20 pm
StrayLamb wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:34 pm Wolverine's time in Canadian Intelligence was prior to Weapon X, and well before the Prime Sentinels.
He supposedly did not have memories of his life prior to Weapon X.
All of which adds to this being non-canon, surely.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.