Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WAR of the REALMS to EMPYRE

Post by Col_Fury »

Keep the notes coming, folks! :)

I do plan to get back to this soon-ish/eventually. Probably once I start getting new comics (the place I get them through hasn't reopened yet, but will soon as I understand it).
-Daron Jensen
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills Extended Cut 1 has a framing sequence with Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Kate, the girl from X-Men Black: Magneto, that takes place in the present day.
Kitty is in civilian clothes, and I can't see any trace of krakoan elements, such as flowers, but she is speaking about to be in Texas on behalf of Magneto, so I think that can take place after HOX/POX and before the death of Kitty in Marauders. But in issue 2 maybe there will be some element to better narrow it in Kitty's and Magneto's chronologies.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

Some annotation about Black Cat:

We will see how and when the Infinite Destinies saga will be published, which was to take place on the annuals of Iron Man, Captain America, Black Cat, Avengers, Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Guardians Of The Galaxy and Amazing Spider-Man.

In Black Cat 12 there is a reference to an adventure in Korea and the note refers to Black Cat Annual 2, a story that should therefore take place before Black Cat 11-12, or at least between page 19 and page 20 of Black Cat 12.

For me, Black Cat 11-12 must be placed before Iron Man 2020 (Bethany Cabe and Tony Stark work at Stark Unlimited, and Tony doesn't seem to have the holographic armor he uses in Iron Man 2020 5).

This would also place Wolverine's appearance in Madripoor in numbers 9-10 before Incoming!, X-Men 4 and X-Men/Fantastic Four. In these issues, Kade Kilgore has just moved to Madripoor and seems to be operating alone, there doesn't seem to be any reference to Homines Verendi so they should take place before the events of Marauders 4.

The story of Spidey and Black Cat in FCBD2020: Spider-Man & Venom takes place shortly after BCAT3 12, given that Peter says Tony Stark called him for information on Black Cat.

In Black Cat 12 Felicia is said to appear next in King In Black, and there is no indication of Black Cat 13 that had been announced before the suspension of publications and that was to see the clash with Queen Cat hinted in the last pages of 12. We will see whether it will be published or not, as well as the annual.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

The "Fortnite" event apparently fits into the continuity.

As a result, it turns out that Wolverine 5, or at least its last page, takes place during Thor 4. Apparently there is another tie-in with the Fortnite event that has not yet been identified.

This also means that the events of Wolverine and X-Force (the last issue of X-Force was a direct sequel to Wolverine 3) should be prior to Empyre, as for Thor Empyre should take place after the first saga of T6 .
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

I'm wondering if we have CA8 7 (17 - 21) onwards too early in this scheme. Placement is made problematic by Ta-Nehisi Coates being one of those writers who construct massive story-arcs, during which the characters can't really appear elsewhere. The recent Black Panther series he worked on has a similar problem.

I'm thinking these issues may have to go after WOBW 1-5. We can still make a suitable gap after this for Cap being imprisoned for two months between CA8 8 & 9. CA8 20 should then go somewhere after IMMH 26, where Banner mentions General Ross is dead, but it shouldn't be too far after CA8 9-19. Some time has obviously passed for Misty to get to Madripoor, but it shouldn't be too big a gap, and of course Cap still shouldn't appear anywere else in the meanwhile.

What do you think?
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Oh yeah. Apparently i didn't take the hint. That's what put the numbskull in the numbat (sounds like an epsisode of Bones). I'm thinking after WOBW as Cap appears there, plus Misty's in WOBW as well as the CA8 arc, and meets up with Black Widow in Madripoor in CA8 20. Probably also after Cap's appearance in VALJF 8-9, if that remains where it's currently placed.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I think there's going to be a good amount of reshuffling coming up. I really need to get caught up on things...
-Daron Jensen
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

Midnighter wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:06 pm The "Fortnite" event apparently fits into the continuity.

As a result, it turns out that Wolverine 5, or at least its last page, takes place during Thor 4. Apparently there is another tie-in with the Fortnite event that has not yet been identified.
That would be the last page of X-Factor #3! (But it can easily be separated from the rest of the issue.)
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Morbius 1-5 (January to April 2020) guest stars Spider-Man. Equivalent issues for Spidey are ASM5 33-42. Dr Connors' summer house on Long Island has been closed up for the winter, so a likely placement is between ASM5 37 & 38. The main antogonist is the Melter. This would be Melter III, who was introduced in Superior Spider-Man 26. We are also introduced to Elizabeth Nikos, sister of Morbius' old friend Emil. There are flashbacks to their childhood together. Emil is spoken of as being dead, and no mention is made of the fact that Emil was transformed into a vampire by Baron Blood (Amazing Fantasy vol. 2 17).
Pocokk
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Pocokk »

Where would be DP8 6 placed? He is hanging out with the X-Men, performing his Deadpool acting as usual.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Col_Fury wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:30 am ???CA8 9-20??? (Misty appears) (Piledriver in prison) (Cap in hiding, eventually returns)
I would say that CA8 9-19 could fit here, but CA8 20 onwards takes place at least after HOX 5 for Selene Gallo, who is answerable to the Krakoa Council, and after IMMH 26, where Ross is still believed to be dead. A break of any length can be inserted between CA8 19 & 20. I think that Cap's appearances in the meanwhile can be explained by CA8 13, where Steve sets out on the first of a series of strike missions in an effort to reclaim the public’s trust in him and the Captain America name. This could only be achieved if he were publicly seen to be active. We would have to assume that he is not being actively sought by the authorities, many of whose members would have to be sympathetic to him, but i believe it makes more sense than placing the whole of CA8 9-25 and more that late in the scheme. In CA8 20-25 the grain harvest is under way. Even if they're just cutting for hay, this could be no earlier than late May in Ohio, where the story's set, theoretically placing these issues after Empyre.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Yeah, this CA8 run presents some problems.

I've fallen way behind on reading current books. I plan to get caught up... hopefully soon. Maybe it will be a 2021 resolution? In any case, I think there will be a fair amount of reshuffling when I get caught up and revisit this. Keep posting when you notice something, though. I'll be going over all the conversations as well as the books when I (finally) get to it.

Thanks!
-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Col_Fury wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:45 amI've fallen way behind on reading current books. I plan to get caught up... hopefully soon.
Me too! I still have several unfinished projects to get back to, but i wanted to take the opportunity to catch up on at least a few new issues before getting back into the older books, and for all of its chronological problems, CA8 has been a good read. :D
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Col_Fury wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:36 pmDP@4 1 has a kid hiring Deadpool to fight Nightmare. Hmn. The kid’s neighbor who babysits him is watching movies about gladiators… that’s probably not a good sign. Wong appears at Doctor Strange’s house, so sometime before DS4 20, which also means most likely before DS4 12. Turns out the neighbor is molesting the kid (called it!), causing his nightmares. Doctor Strange appears in his current space suit, so not before DS4 20. Hmn.

There is no point where Wong is hanging out at Strange’s house (he left in DS4) and Strange is in his new space suit (he gets it in DS5). By the time Strange gets his new space suit, Wong is in Las Vegas, not guarding Strange’s house. So what gives? Assume art error for Strange and place it in the past (like many of these Acts of Evil Annuals are)? Or assume Wong was visiting even though he said he wouldn’t?
FF: Grimm Noir also has Wong at the Sanctum. Wong tells Ben he’s lucky to catch him there, as he’s not at the Sanctum much anymore, and just dropped by to do some research, so this is something that Wong's been doing occasionally. This allows us to place DP@4 after DS4 20. Since the babysitter in Connecticut is wearing shorts, the summer setting we currently have for this issue seems correct.

FF: Grimm Noir 1 (1 - 29) takes place on a day when a chilly rain is falling. Ben's not wearing a sling. FF: Grimm Noir 1 (30) is some time later, on a sunny day, so the whole thing(!) may take place during the autumn?