Conan from Savage Avengers?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Conan from Savage Avengers?

Post by wolframbane »

For Savage Avengers, I am assuming that Conan is the mainstream Conan rather than some divergent version of him. I assume that he was displaced from the Hyborian Age to the Modern Era for a few months to battle Kulan Gath, and eventually will return to the Hyborian Age to resume his life when the series ends. I will also assume that Conan from Conan 2099 was an alternate future version of him that never returned home.

From around what time did Conan get displaced from the Hyborian Age? How old was he or what were some of his adventures at that time? Basically where does he appear on the existing Conan chronology?

One detail is it would probably be sometime after his first encounter with Solomon Kane in Savage Sword of Conan #219-220, as Kane explained to him the concept of a flintlock pistol ("imagine an arrowhead flung at an incredible speed"), which Conan had never encountered before. Conan would be about 26 at the time (Kane was 76), as it was a month after the death of Belit in Conan the Barbarian #100. He seemed unfazed by the concept of firearms in the Modern Era. He also encountered firearms at a later time in his life, when he encountered Dark Agnes in Serpent War, and paid no heed to her guns.
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Re: Conan from Savage Avengers?

Post by dimadick »

wolframbane wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:54 am From around what time did Conan get displaced from the Hyborian Age? How old was he or what were some of his adventures at that time? Basically where does he appear on the existing Conan chronology?
Are there internal clues in the Savage Avengers concerning its placement?
*How old does Conan look? He is thought to have been a teenager at the time of "The Tower of the Elephant", where his inexperience is a plot point. He is his 20s by the time he serves as Belit's second-command. He is in in his 40s when rising to the throne of Aquilonia, and in his 60s when he abdicates.
*Does Conan make references to other Hyborian Age characters? Which would suggest that he has either already encountered them, or knows them by reputation.
*Does Kulan Gath refer to his past encounters with Conan?
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Right from issue 1 Conan saw visions of the 20th century. He was also told of advanced civiilzations with accompanying visions in Conan 4 and Savage Sword 7. And he has come across so many different civilizations that he can be jaded about ours.
I've been reading all his modern appearances but I did not notice internal chronology clues. Obviously, it's after he first met Kulan Gath in Conan 15 & seemingly after the second in COB 253-260. Shuma Gorath plays a role in the latter and in the current storyline. I've not checked whether the current storyline is meant to follow or lead to COB 253-60. For one thing Kulan Gath's time travel might not match Conan's path.
In Conan's career, there is a progress from mercenary to thief to soldier (in Turan), then first mate to Belit's band of pirates, tribal chief of the Bamulas, nomadic pillagers, pirate captain on the Vilayet, chief of desert raiders. It's a question of what skills does he know, how large a group can he manage? He learned archery in Turan, for instance.

Here are the clues from my re-reading of Avengers: No Road Home:
A:NRH 5 deserted area, Zamoran marauders, Conan in fur cloth and boots.
A:NRH 6 Aranza desert, camels, Illitese river Conan has already visited Shadizar and is not welcome. "Many years passed" since Conan met followers of the night-god. Night-god worship used to be a bat-cult until someone killed the bat (COB 6). Bêlit mentioned. Conan is still sore about her death.
A:NRH 7 & 8 "Belit ghost"
Last edited by Leoparis on Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

In the latest issue of Savage Avengers, he finds himself back in Aquilonia, don't know if this is a vision or the real deal, but wouldn't that put this adventure between Conan the Barbarian and King Conan books?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Savage Avengers follows up from Avengers: No Road Home, which I currently have between COB 115 & 117-FB for Conan.
-Daron Jensen