Avengers - Suggested corrections in the series

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Avengers - Suggested corrections in the series

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

While comparing my lists with yours, I've noticed a few instances where the guidelines discussed in the thread about Avengers 4 were not followed in the listings for characters, notably in the Avengers series. To avoid creating a new thread for each issue where there should be some corrections, I'll use only this one here to report my findings.

Let's start with Avengers 5. These are really minor.

HULK/DR. ROBERT BRUCE BANNER
FF 26 (13:5 - 23)
A 5 (3:4 - 20:1) --> (replace by) A 5 (1 - 20:1)??

This one is more a question than a suggestion. I know he does not appear in the A 5 (1-3:3) scene which precedes his appearance in FF 25-26, but isn't it how you proceed even if he only appears in the A 5 (3:4 - 20:1) segment?

IRON MAN/ANTHONY EDWARD "TONY" STARK/... and CAPTAIN AMERICA/STEVE ROGERS
A 5 (18:6)-BTS --> A 5 (18:6)-OP (they are clearly in the room when Thor mentions: "we are together again")

GIANT-MAN/DR. HENRY JONATHAN PYM and CAPTAIN AMERICA/STEVE ROGERS
A 5 (19:1 - 20:1) --> A 5 (19 - 20:1)
michel
Director
Director

Re: Avengers - Suggested corrections in the series

Post by michel »

RobinHoodMtl wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:23 am While comparing my lists with yours, I've noticed a few instances where the guidelines discussed in the thread about Avengers 4 were not followed in the listings for characters, notably in the Avengers series. To avoid creating a new thread for each issue where there should be some corrections, I'll use only this one here to report my findings.
Actually I'd rather have you make a new thread for each issue (or block of issues). It will be easier for us to validate and to implemente.
RobinHoodMtl wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:23 am Let's start with Avengers 5. These are really minor.

This one is more a question than a suggestion. I know he does not appear in the A 5 (1-3:3) scene which precedes his appearance in FF 25-26, but isn't it how you proceed even if he only appears in the A 5 (3:4 - 20:1) segment?
You're right, it should be A 5 (1 - 20:1) in Hulk's listing. That's exactly the kind of mistake that need to be corrected.
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

michel wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:18 pm Actually I'd rather have you make a new thread for each issue (or block of issues). It will be easier for us to validate and to implemente.
OK then. That is what I'll do.
michel wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:18 pm You're right, it should be A 5 (1 - 20:1) in Hulk's listing. That's exactly the kind of mistake that need to be corrected.
I'll try to do that, but there are a lot of these, at least in the early Silver Age. I can't promise I will check everything, but when I see one, I'll let you know.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

michel wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:18 pm
RobinHoodMtl wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:23 am While comparing my lists with yours, I've noticed a few instances where the guidelines discussed in the thread about Avengers 4 were not followed in the listings for characters, notably in the Avengers series. To avoid creating a new thread for each issue where there should be some corrections, I'll use only this one here to report my findings.
Actually I'd rather have you make a new thread for each issue (or block of issues). It will be easier for us to validate and to implemente.
RobinHoodMtl wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:23 am Let's start with Avengers 5. These are really minor.

You're right, it should be A 5 (1 - 20:1) in Hulk's listing. That's exactly the kind of mistake that need to be corrected.
You're setting yourself up for trouble. You're alternatively indexing by issue (a character appearance should span the issue from the beginning or to the end) and by temporal segments (DD 228-230, where you decide that two Urich/Manolis panels are a flashback even though they occur in sequence).
There is a one week break on page 3 of A 5 and of course Hulk appears in other issues during that break.

Once you've broken up Hulk's appearance at 20:1 to insert the recap flashback from CA:MOOT 4, you have the end part of the notatiion (20:1) which is the exact range, and that seems odd to use page 1 as the starting part of that range. You end up with a notation using two different frames of reference.

(Not inserting the recap flashback would have avoided the problem but the question remains for issues where you have a valid break.)

Maybe it's time for editors to talk about this and figure it through.
Possible approach: Only feature characters are indexed in such a way as to cover the entire span of their issues. Hulk is not a feature character in A 5.