Expanding the Mark Gruenwald entry

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Expanding the Mark Gruenwald entry

Post by Clive_Reston »

I noticed that Mark Gruenwald appeared in Marvel Two-In-One #60, and on investigation discovered that three of his at-least-five appearances (as himself, not Mr. Mobius!) aren't currently listed in the MCP!

Note that marvel.fandom.com also identifies Gruenwald as appearing in a few other stories--but one's a Bullpen Bulletins cartoon, two more are comedy pieces about Marvel staffers that don't look particularly canonical (although one also involves a probably-parodic Doctor Druid), and then there's SENSM 23, where there's no particular textual evidence for an off-panel spirit who gets one line of dialogue to be Gruenwald's spirit...

Suggested changes:

GRUENWALD, MARK

M/TIO 60 <--ADD
X@ 7
NM@ 3 <--ADD
CA 347 <--ADD
SENSH 50
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Expanding the Mark Gruenwald entry

Post by Leoparis »

I suppose your post is inspired by the talk about M/H&L '96 which features a young Mark Gruenwald and is an homage to him in the wake of his recent passing. So why not include it as well?

GRUENWALD, MARK
M/H&L '96 <--ADD
M/TIO 60 <--ADD
X@ 7
NM@ 3 <--ADD
CA 347 <--ADD
SENSH 50
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

Oh, interesting! There's a kid named Mark who's prominent in that issue--but he's not specifically identified as Gruenwald, unless I've missed something (although his hair definitely looks a bit like Gruenwald's). Also, Gruenwald died August 12, 1996, and M/H&L '96 came out nine days later, so I don't think it was meant as a memorial to him. But I'm open to including it...
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Clive_Reston wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:56 pmAlso, Gruenwald died August 12, 1996, and M/H&L '96 came out nine days later, so I don't think it was meant as a memorial to him.
It literally couldn't be a tribute. Comics are printed at least 20 days before the release date.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be a more general homage, of course. But I'd be moderately sceptical.