Brigitte Bardot appears on page 14.

BARDOT, BRIGITTE
JIM 120
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Brigitte Bardot in JIM 120

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

Although she is not identified by name in the comic or in any index, it is clear that she is the one the artist intended to draw here.

That being said, i don't know how MCP proceeds with this kind of cameo, but since she adds very little to the plot and only appears in a single panel in a single issue, is it really worth creating a line just for that? There are thousands of characters with single appearances who are not listed even if they have more significant roles in the books. And if she is worth adding to the list because she is a celebrity, what about all the celebrities who appear in FF 9 and are not listed? And I can think of several more issues with that kind of cameos. What's MCP's view on this?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Who are the celebrities that are in FF 9? Let us know!
-Daron Jensen
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

Col_Fury wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:17 am Who are the celebrities that are in FF 9? Let us know!
I remember Alfred Hitchcock and Dean Martin, but around the Sub-Mariner's studios, there were a lot of known faces.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Col_Fury wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:17 am Who are the celebrities that are in FF 9? Let us know!
Chrissy discusses the cameos in her article at the Marvelous Zone. Check the comments.

We track Alfred Hitchcock, because he appears in more than one title. We can list the others. *shrug*
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

RobinHoodMtl wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:22 pm Although she is not identified by name in the comic or in any index, it is clear that she is the one the artist intended to draw here.

That being said, i don't know how MCP proceeds with this kind of cameo, but since she adds very little to the plot and only appears in a single panel in a single issue, is it really worth creating a line just for that? There are thousands of characters with single appearances who are not listed even if they have more significant roles in the books. And if she is worth adding to the list because she is a celebrity, what about all the celebrities who appear in FF 9 and are not listed? And I can think of several more issues with that kind of cameos. What's MCP's view on this?
I don't know what's the MCP view. She makes a guest appearance with a speaking part and so I thought she deserved inclusion. I was looking at that issue for something else. I never recognized her when I read the story before. But I've seen many early photographs oof her on Twitter on the occasion of her birthday and she's become easier to recognize. As for the non-speaking cameos in FF 9, I don't think I recognized them. Looking at the end of the link to Adventures in the Marvel Zone, Hitchcock is the only one whose face was familiar to Frenchmen of my generation.

Ann Margret is unknown to me but I also think the face on 10:1 looks like Bardot. That would make two appearances by Bardot.
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by ShadZ »

Alfred Hitchcock
Amanda Blake
Bing Crosby
Bob Hope
Charles Bronson
Dean Martin
Jackie Gleason
James Arness

Charles Bronson is the one I'm not sure about. He also appeared in PPSSM 108, and that one is certain.
ShadZ
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

Leoparis wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:49 am I don't know what's the MCP view. She makes a guest appearance with a speaking part and so I thought she deserved inclusion. ...
My point in this query was mainly that she appears once in a single panel. So using that same logic, does that mean we should start listing people who have a full name and who have a speaking part? Or does it apply to celebrities regardless if they speak?

IMHO, if we start to list all characters who speak and have a full name, we've got a lot of work to catch up! I don't mind listing single appearances as long as they play a significant role in the plot. Many villains or minions only appear once, especially during Golden Age. Should they be listed too?

I think that the question to ask is, is anyone going to check the listings for these characters. Maybe they would for celebrities, but I don't think that Dr. Bad Guy from an obscure series in the Golden Age is going to get the same hits.

On another note, if you choose to list celebrities, I've already made a few suggestions here.

SGTF 24 also has the following stars:
Jimmy Durante
Groucho Marx

SGFT 43 has these:
Gene Autry
Jerry Colonna
Betty Grable
Lana Turner
Dorothy Lamour
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Neat! Thanks folks!

I like the idea of listing celebrities here, or real world people. A one-off speaking character with a full name? eh, no thanks.
-Daron Jensen
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

RobinHoodMtl wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:06 pm
My point in this query was mainly that she appears once in a single panel. So using that same logic, does that mean we should start listing people who have a full name and who have a speaking part? Or does it apply to celebrities regardless if they speak?
My criteria were the following:
She's front and center in that panel and is engaged in dialogue.
She's recognizable as a celebrity.
It's likely she also appears somewhere else (and lo! she does, in FF 9)

But my suggestion was just that, a suggestion. My post did not imply in any way the MCP had made a mistake in not including her. As the answers from Russ and Col Fury show, the MCP does not have an automatic inclusion policy nor do we extend the practice for celebrities to other characters.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

RobinHoodMtl wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:06 pm My point in this query was mainly that she appears once in a single panel. So using that same logic, does that mean we should start listing people who have a full name and who have a speaking part? Or does it apply to celebrities regardless if they speak?
Col_Fury wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:52 am I like the idea of listing celebrities here, or real world people. A one-off speaking character with a full name? eh, no thanks.
I also like the idea of including celebrities as we come across them, but do we need a hard and fast rule? How about we just have fun and list them as we come across them in our travels, like we've been doing.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

Leoparis wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:32 am
But my suggestion was just that, a suggestion. My post did not imply in any way the MCP had made a mistake in not including her. As the answers from Russ and Col Fury show, the MCP does not have an automatic inclusion policy nor do we extend the practice for celebrities to other characters.
Suggestions. That is forums are for. I agree that it is fun to have celebrities listed, as I'm pretty sure that users will be interested to see if there are other stories they appear in. And as Col Fury mentions, and as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure no one cares for one-off speaking character. And I sure won't be making suggestions to include them. As for celebrities, if I find more, I'll post a suggestion.