Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

My 2023 inventory

Post by Leoparis »

2019-2020 inventory
2021 inventory
My 2022 Inventory

I started the year reviewing cases of retroactive first appearances, including the Eternals Makkari and Sersi and retconned early appearances by Dr Druid and Ulysses Bloodstone

I applied my onomastics skills to Pr Yinsen and Wakandan names.

I made a proposition for SG2 2-FB that was checkmarked but not entered.
Same for Kid Colt in Thor Corps 3.
Same for Spider-Ham in Spider-Verse.
Gen. Ross in TTA 67/2
Ulysses Bloodstone in TOS 9
Vanisher missed in XFOR@2 1/2
Superior Iron Man 5 flashback
M/S-H3 5/5
SOV 16
BP3 47
Iron Man in Marvels 2

I moved the flashback where Shanna returns to the Savage Land.

I argued for the canonicity of MGN Ka-Zar Guns in the Savage Land.

I placed the adventure in AFSY 1000/6 and then the rest: 1000/1 and its improper invasion flashbacks, AFSY 1000/2, 1000/3. Another reviewer solved 1000/4, 1000/5 and 1000/7.

I placed the stories in Marvel Age 1000. Human Torch, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, X-Men, Daredevil, Jane Foster

The review of early android Human Torch led to suggestions for Doctor Nemesis, Human Torch, Marvel Age 130-133, Marvels Project 1

The Spider-Man search led to additions for Lifeline 1, Amazing Spider-Man Daily Bugle.

Original X-Men offered no difficulty.

A new flashback of Captain America invading Japan gave me pause. Jackson and Lanzing's run offered flashbacks in #10, #12 and #750.

Eisenhower's presence in TOS 68 required a reappraisal of an editorial note.

On D-Day I moved DR:NN and MCP2 6/3.

I analysed WX2 14 & 23 and proposed a revision to take into account the larger span of time involved (8 to 10 months).

I placed Duggan's Iron Man flashbacks but not those from the anniversarial I Am Iron Man series in spite of extensive reading. (Too many eras to cover!)

I reviewed Octopus early history including Superior Spider-Man Team-Up 12 and Doctor Octopus Year One.

After three years of trials, I placed Sentry/Spider-Man where it was supposed to go. I simply had to split the flashback in several parts. It was this issue which sent me on reviewing all of Sentry and Dr Octopus appearances.

I read early X-Men history in sequence and proposed suggestions for UX 309, M3 15, WOSM2 9, X-Men Legacy 208

I analysed New Mutants Forever, which had been mistakenly cast as non-canon due to a misunderstanding of the Forever tag.

Magneto Vol 4 had to take place later than indicated and included a flashback to X 4.

An editorial note also misplaced the Cage! series.

The flashback in Joe Fixit 3 proved difficult as I had to correct my suggestions a few times and this led to look for the dumb Hulk and corrections for Squirrel Girl, Hulk after Secret Wars, WOSM 11, PPSSM 107-110, ASM 273

I analysed issues around A 181, CA 228-229, BP 14-15, Captain Marvel 1978-79, Black Widow in DD 155-161, CHAOS:DA 3 (22:2)-FB-FB, BW 1-FB. My early notes are from January 2021, so I will pass the three-year mark as this is not finished.

Triton's contradictory origins required a review and casting a sequence as a dream.

After he had mined Moon Knight's past McKay mined the rich history of Dr. Strange in #6 and #8.

Ben Percy gave us tricky flashbacks in Ghost Rider Wolverine Weapons of Vengeance Alpha & GR 17 & a straightforward one in Ghost Rider 18-21

Al Ewing developed symbiote history in FCBD 2023 Spider-Man/Venom (Flexo story) and Venom 22 & 25.

Ewing's appreciation of complex time travel was in display in Ant-Man's 60-year celebration.

Speaking of time travel I compared T 370 and BP3 46-47 and finally concluded one of them to be an alternate past.

For the 10-year anniversary, we revisited the era of the Superior Spider-Man Returns & Superior Spider-Man vol. 3 1/2

I noticed a mistaken placement due to a misunderstood editorial note for the High Evolutionary and this ricocheted on another issue.

Lessons learned include:

Correctly analysing flashbacks including the various periods, do not try to reduce it to a single moment.

Being wary of editorial notes. Sometimes editors misread the stories.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: My 2023 inventory

Post by Jason Doty »

A pretty productive year. Keep up the great work.