MTU 135, X-Men Vs. Hulk, X&AF2 mini series

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: MTU 135, X-Men Vs. Hulk, X&AF2 mini series

Post by Leoparis »

I remember reading the thread on this. At the time I reviewed the story to see if it could be the intelligent Hulk and found several reasons that it could be (coincidence of Hulk stumbling onto Colossus, composed face on page 8, anger only due to pain and surprise attack, knocked out easily, spontaneous transformation, scenario set up by Wolverine).

I also think that we should make every effort to include a story written by the original writer of a series in the era he was writing it (Claremont on X-Men).

In IH2 291 Banner is in NY and on a return flight from Kennedy Airport in IH2 292, so he was in the New York State during the later spot you propose. In IH2 292 Banner has nightmares of a savage Hulk so I don't mind that under the pain of Colossus's punch to his jaw, or Colossus's attack from behind, he would naturally get angry for a short time and then fake it until Colossus falls into the quicksand.

On Banner being able to fake the savage Hulk, check Cable 34, Aug 96.

Is there another reason that I missed that would push this toward non-canonicity? I admit I have not read all the other issues you mention.

Revised Nov 13 to add a line about Cable 34.
Last edited by Leoparis on Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Thanks Leoparis! So the placement before IH2 191 might work then.

There's another bit of a problem as well, although it involves the internal calendar (i see you all out there, shrugging already! :wink: ), but it could solve the problem.

UX 168 is set during the middle of winter. The scene with Cyclops visiting Jean's grave in X&AF2 1 is also during the winter. UX 169 is set during the spring [late spring as it's after TM/:BB (1 - 16) which is set during June, although likely very early June, as all original comics surrounding this say it's spring], and Cyclops has been working with Madelyne in Alaska for "several weeks."

What if.. X&AF2 is truly in the winter, and happens between AF 1 & 2? That would allow the current placement for XV.H to remain intact, while honoring Chris Claremont's original X-Men chronology.

Michel already mentioned this possibility a while back, suggesting that we ignore the reference to Tundra and the Master of the World. The fact is, we have to ignore something..
michel wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:51 pmFor Alpha Flight, the fights against Tundra and the Master are mentioned, so it's after AF 4. Could the Master reference be a mistake, to put X&AF2 in between AF 1 and 2 ? The only other way I see is trying to put DEF 122-125 after AF 4, that may be possible but way more complicated.
Thoughts, suggestions? (nothing rude, please! :wink: )
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Well, for the revisions i'm working on for the Contest of Champions to Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars Chronology, i'm currently going with the winter setting, along with current X-Men and Hulk positions. I believe this evidence trumps the unfortunate reference to Tundra & Master of the World.

Suggested updates..

AURORA/JEANNE-MARIE BEAUBIER
---
IH2 277
IH2 279
X&AF2 1 * MOVE TO HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE TO HERE

AF 2
AF 3
AF 4
X&AF2 1 * MOVE FROM HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE FROM HERE

AF 7
---

CODY, GARY
---
AF 1
X&AF2 1 * MOVE TO HERE
AF 2
X&AF2 1 * MOVE FROM HERE
AF 13
---

GUARDIAN II/JAMES MACDONALD HUDSON
From Vindicator
X&AF2 1 * MOVE TO HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE TO HERE

AF 2
AF 3
AF 4
DP/DEATH '98-FB
X&AF2 1 * MOVE FROM HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE FROM HERE

AF 6
---

NORTHSTAR/JEAN-PAUL BEAUBIER
---
IH2 277
IH2 279
X&AF2 1 * MOVE TO HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE TO HERE

AF 2
AF 3
AF 4
X&AF2 1 * MOVE FROM HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE FROM HERE

AF 7
---

PUCK/EUGENE MILTON JUDD
---
{AF 1}
AF2 14 (11:2 - 11:3)-FB
X&AF2 1 * MOVE TO HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE TO HERE

AF 2
AF 5
X&AF2 1 * MOVE FROM HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE FROM HERE

AF 12
---

SASQUATCH/WALTER LANGKOWSKI
---
M/TIO 96
X&AF2 1 * MOVE TO HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE TO HERE

AF 2
AF 3
AF 4
X&AF2 1 * MOVE FROM HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE FROM HERE

FF 266
---

SHAMAN/DR. MICHAEL TWOYOUNGMEN
---
IH2 277
IH2 278
IH2 279
X&AF2 1 * MOVE TO HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE TO HERE

AF 2
AF 5
X&AF2 1 * MOVE FROM HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE FROM HERE

ROM 56
---

SNOWBIRD/NARYA/"CORP. ANNE MCKENZIE THOMPSON"
---
IH2 277
IH2 278
IH2 279
X&AF2 1 * MOVE TO HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE TO HERE

AF 2
AF 3
AF 4
X&AF2 1 * MOVE FROM HERE
X&AF2 2 * MOVE FROM HERE

AF 6
---
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.