SECRET WARS to CIVIL WAR II

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: SECRET WARS to CIVIL WAR II

Post by Clive_Reston »

And a peculiar possible addition: Marvel Tsum Tsum #1-4!

If it fits somewhere, it takes place at a point when Ultron is on Earth, Kitty is Star-Lord (and the Guardians are out in space), Ant-Man Security Solutions is in business, and Cho is the Hulk.

Could be right before A:ROU, if the TAH flashbacks move up before it; could be right after UA3 9-12, if SLORD 7-8 move down after it.
Siabod
Hero
Hero

Post by Siabod »

First off: thanks heaps, I'm just about to head into this time line (which also means I haven't read any of them)

But I noticed Vision #7 is missing as is Spider-Man/Deadpool #5-6. I'm assuming is time-line issue rather than an oversight?
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Siabod wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:17 pmBut I noticed Vision #7 is missing as is Spider-Man/Deadpool #5-6. I'm assuming is time-line issue rather than an oversight?
Vision 7 is as series of flashbacks which take place during a number of incidents between Vision and Scarlet Witch, mostly from the time in which they were Married with Children.

Spider-Man/Deadpool 4-5 haven't yet been placed, as we're still working on ASM placements for Civil War II.

Spider-Man/Deadpool 6 has been placed..

SW6 1-4 (Spider-Woman gives birth, roughly 34 weeks after July, so March?)
SM/DP 6: March?
RR&GROOT 1-3 (Kitty-as-Star-Lord, no Peter) (“8 months” after Secret Wars)
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Clive_Reston wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:30 pmThe next to last page of SQS4 15 has Nighthawk suggesting that he's just very recently moved to Chicago and started working with Tilda; the implication is that NHAWK2 1-6 happen after that.
Well spotted! :thumbsup:
-Daron Jensen
Siabod
Hero
Hero

Post by Siabod »

Sorry meant SM/DP 4-5 not 5-6

PS nice to know there's another West Aussie of the boards!
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Siabod wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:06 am Sorry meant SM/DP 4-5 not 5-6
Thought that might be the case. SM/DP is a strange animal, and often has out-of-sequence stories. Pretty sure SM/DP 4-5 goes after CWII, so we'll be getting to that..
Siabod wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:06 am PS nice to know there's another West Aussie of the boards!
Hey, hey! We're slowly taking over the world. :-P
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
BlakeComeaux
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by BlakeComeaux »

Hello. I haven't really posted before, but noticed that the recap page on Thunderbolts 4 has a note stating it takes place before Squadron Supreme #8. It is currently placed afterwards.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Thanks, BlakeComeaux!
-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

BlakeComeaux wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:09 pmThunderbolts 4 has a note stating it takes place before Squadron Supreme #8. It is currently placed afterwards.
There's a significant gap in Squadron Supreme 8, between pages 9 & 10.

I think the note in Thunderbolts 4 means that TB3 1-4 takes place before Dr Spectrum changes her costume in the second half of Squadron Supreme 8, from page 10 onwards, which takes place at a later date, during CWII. In this section, Toro comments on having consulted an Inhuman oracle who recently arrived in New Attilan, placing SQS4 8 (10-20) early in CWII..
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Clive_Reston wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:51 pm And a peculiar possible addition: Marvel Tsum Tsum #1-4!

If it fits somewhere, it takes place at a point when Ultron is on Earth, Kitty is Star-Lord (and the Guardians are out in space), Ant-Man Security Solutions is in business, and Cho is the Hulk.

Could be right before A:ROU, if the TAH flashbacks move up before it; could be right after UA3 9-12, if SLORD 7-8 move down after it.
The Guardians, the Collector, Ultron, Iron Man, Spider-Miles, Teen-Hulk, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, CA: Sam Wilson, Thor, Ms Marvel, Nova, the Looter (fresh out of jail), and Hammerhead all appear.

I think it could work if UA3 9-12 is moved up before before SLORD 7-8, like so..

UA3 9-12 (after CA:SAMW 9)
M/TSUM 1-4
SLORD 6 (end), 7-8 (Kitty stops being Star-Lord) (Iron Man appears)
MOCK 1 (3-10)-FB
RR&GROOT 6
FCBD2016:CA / CA:SR 1-3 (after CA:SAMW 9)

It's canon, as the Tsum's come into other comics later..
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

What comics do the Tsum Tsum's later appear in?
-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Col_Fury wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:38 am What comics do the Tsum Tsum's later appear in?
ASM4 25/3 (May 2017)
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Thanks! Looks like M/TSUM 1-4 happens early on, before Ultron is merged with Pym.

I moved UA3 9-12 into the CWII thread (it has to happen after SCRW2 9, which is a CWII tie-in, because of Quicksilver's broken leg). Oh! Also, HTD 5-11.

Fun!

-edit-

As Nick points out, MG&DDINO 1-11 has to happen before ANINHS 8, so I've moved MG&DDINO back a bit (and also moved the rest of #12 into the CWII thread, in the "autumn").

As for ANINHS 8 lining up with the comics the art was taken from (UINHS 9, KARNAK 4, MG&DDINO #???, MSM4 7) on those screens, eh. It just establishes other stuff is/was going on in the world (they could be reviewing recordings and not watching things live, fer instance). But that also means Moon Girl is running around with Devil Dinosaur before ANINHS 8. That also means MSM4 7 needs to get moved back... as well as CWII 0 (edited in to the above).

As for Moon Girl being in the fourth grade, don't forget, Peter Parker didn't graduate high school because of his incomplete PE class. Something similar could have happened with Moon Girl and she was held back (she's kind of anti-social; maybe too many detentions?). OR! We could squint and say #1-11 is in third grade and #13-whatever is in the fourth grade. Or something. *shrug*
-Daron Jensen
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

So I was taking a break from looking at the Civil War II stuff and started working through this sequence, but there's a bit of an issue with the placement of the Tsum Tsum mini. Here's the notes I have:
-Late July: new missing dog poster, last seen "July 23rd"
-Kitty is Star-Lord
-Ultron before merging with Pym in Rage of Ultron
-Collector not involved with Contest of Champions stuff yet
-ANAD Avengers together, and referred to specifically as "the Avengers"
This all means it works fine where it is, except for the ANAD Avengers...

Also the Totally Awesome Hulk flashbacks take place "four months" before the "last day of Summer" so there is absolutely no way they could logically fit in late July if we take both references as concrete.

Both of these things built on an idea that had been in my head for a while: at the end of Secret Wars, the multiverse is restored, however we clearly see in the scene with T'Challa that this new universe's history is not exactly the same as that of the pre-Secret Wars universe, with the given example being that the kids from NA3 1 aren't dead, and the first scene from that comic is mirrored. Could it then be possible that some of these comics take place in this new history that was generated upon multiversal restoration?

At the moment, the only things I can think of being placed here would be the Totally Awesome Hulk flashbacks (unless they could actually fit pre-SW), and ANAD Avengers, but if memory serves, moving ANAD Avengers 1-3 would move a lot with it? But then we could place the start of Old Man Logan right after the universe is restored, where it should logically be.

Again, not sure if this is within the scope of this project, but serves as an interesting thought experiment, I think.

So, if we were gonna move ANAD Avengers to the very start of the chronology, what comics would be moved with it and why?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Huh. I missed the "Avengers" reference in TSUM TSUM. Hmn.

In theory, we could assume it's not the "prime" Ultron, but rather one his old discarded bodies. Also, it might be able to go after Contest of Champions instead of before, or maybe during, to line things up with Kitty-Lord. I'll have to take another look.

As for Totally Awesome Hulk, sometimes we just need to ignore topical references. I try and get as many things to line up as possible but it doesn't always work out. As far as I can see, this is one of those times. If we have to, we can squint and imagine the flashbacks take place in the "last days of summer" and the main story is "four months later" and chalk it up to a typo. If we have to.

-slight digression-

I recently met C.B. Cebulski (new editor in chief) in Chicago at the C2E2 convention (twice actually, but I'll just talk about the relevant part). At one of the panels he made it clear (after one of my questions, natch) that Marvel's history didn't change after SECRET WARS; everything happened and some things got "fixed." (for example, Magneto died during Last Days and was alive afterwards. People assumed the past had slightly changed but no, he was resurrected by Xorn. It got "fixed") No, Cebulski wasn't EiC at the time, but this is the current editorial view that Marvel has: the past wasn't changed.

-digression over-
-Daron Jensen