Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

StrayLamb
Director
Director

Re: CIVIL WAR II to SECRET EMPIRE

Post by StrayLamb »

Siabod wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:47 am Sorry about the double up
The problem hasn't been addressed in the main list, so you were right to bring it up again. :thumbsup:
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

V@2 1 can't happen alongside V4 issues, so it's set in the past (a lot of these "Acts of Evil" Annuals are set in the past, so that's fine).

It takes place at a point where Venom is doing his Lethal Protector thing in New York, and Eddie & the symbiote aren't exactly getting along (they are, but it's strained). Captain Marvel cameos on the Alpha Flight space station. Venom is attacked by Lady Hellbender, lasts one night.

It's looking like between V 154-155 is a good spot, before Secret Empire. Around here:

WX3 7-11
P11 14
ICE3 4-5

seems as good a place as any.
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I've added in V@2 1, fixed DS4 20 and moved in a mess of ANGOTG issues.

I think we're good?
-Daron Jensen
Antonio Gaviño
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Antonio Gaviño »

Antonio Gaviño wrote:

It's actually like this,

ANGOTG 10-FB Loki gives the Gardener the idea to start growing Groots.
GOTG4 19 Guardians leave Earth.
GOTG:DO Guardians in space, Groot still big.
GOTG:ME 1-5 Guardians in space, Groot still big.
ANGOTG 7-FB Drax turns pacifist.
ANGOTG 9 Groot gets tiny, Rocket already working on Galactus Mech.
ANW 22-24 Groot is tiny, Drax is a pacifist.
DP6 30 Scott Adsit joins the Nova Corps.
ANGOTG 11 Adsit with the Nova Corps.
ANGOTG 5 Quill gets gyroscope for Rocket's mech, he is almost arrested by Nova Adsit. No Milano.
FCBD2017:ANGOTG Drax questions Gamora's motivation for Grandmaster's job, tells her she lied to Quill and Rocket, she tells him to ask her again sometime (meaning she had already decided to get the Soul Stone by this point). Star-Lord says the reformed Nova Corps have tried to arrest him twice so far. The Guardians get the Milano.
ANGOTG 3 Gamora gets recurring dream about a part of her soul trapped in Soul World, Rocket uses gyroscope on Galactus mech, the Milano appears.
ANGOTG 1 Guardians use the Galactus mech, then abandon it, the Milano appears, Gamora works out as Drax meditates at the end.
ANGOTG 7 Gamora joins Drax meditation. Drax tells Gamora how he turned pacifist, she mentions her search for the Soul Stone as something she already told him by this point, the Milano appears.
ANGOTG 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 Fairly continuous, Gamora reveals to the Guardians she is looking for the Infinity Stones, Drax confronted for knowing about it and not saying anything. Rocket says Gamora hasn't been herself since fighting Thanos on Earth (sounds as their last time on the planet through the sequence of books), no mention of Secret Empire up to this point. Guardians decide to search for the Stones.
ANGOTG@ 1 During Secret Empire, In between jobs the Guardians try to find help against Hydra on Earth, the Milano appears.
ANGOTG 12 After Secret Empire, the search for Infinity Stones resumes.
The only books I didn’t have when I posted this were ANW 22-24, so I just assumed they were placed correctly. I finally was able to read said issues and, of course, the placement was wrong. The Milano appears throughout the arc, called by its name repeatedly, so the issues have to happen at some point between FCBD2017:GOTG and the start of Secret Empire. The best place for it would be after ANGOTG 10 since by then the Guardians’ last time on Earth was in GOTG4 19. They pick up Laura and Gabby from Earth in ANW 22 and come back from space around two weeks later, which works perfectly since that would explain the Guardians on Earth by the time Secret Empire starts.

So,
ANGOTG 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
ANW 22-24
ANGOTG@ 1

Also, I read ANW 25-30 and I suspect they happen before Secret Empire as well. In issue 27 it is said that the ANW 22-24 issues happen “two weeks ago”, there are SHIELD agents monitoring Captain Marvel’s location and they also check on the Black Panther and the Black Widow.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

All good points!

I've moved ANW 19-21 & ANW 22-24.

I'm hesitant to move ANW 25-30 to before Secret Empire; all five of those issue were published after the crossover ended, and they all have the post-Secret Empire "Legacy" cover branding. For now I'm going to assume Gabby's comment was supposed to be "a couple of months" instead of "a couple of weeks." Heck, the Orphans of X weren't murderous until after ANW 24. Could they really get all of their weapons, technology and organization together in a couple of weeks? And cloning Laura's mom? I'd imagine getting the weapons would be easier after the chaos of Secret Empire.

I did move ANW 25-30 to an earlier spot after Secret Empire to before M:LEG where it's "SHIELD's last day." That way, SHIELD agents can still be monitoring Captain Marvel. The Black Widow thing is a wrinkle, though, because she's supposed to be dead after Secret Empire. Maybe they were waiting for Laura to contact one of her friends, thinking Black Widow and Black Panther were possibilities, but weren't actively watching any of them until she contacted one? Or something?

Thanks!
-Daron Jensen
Antonio Gaviño
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Antonio Gaviño »

Sounds fair. I’ll let you know if I find more conclusive evidence either way.
Antonio Gaviño
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Antonio Gaviño »

Here I go again with the Milano. The vehicle appears in IGROOT 1-5, placing the mini at some point after FCBD2017:ANGOTG. Groot falls trough a space time disturbance hole in the miniseries and gets stranded in another dimension for three days, but outside of it, in the Milky Way galaxy, the events of IGROOT 1-5 only last a few minutes. In issue 1, Rocket can’t figure why baby Groot isn’t growing faster as he’s done in the past; so, before the Guardians find out in ANGOTG 10 that it was the Gardener who attacked Groot. ANGOTG 2,4,6,8,10 are fairly continuous. IGROOT 1-5 and ANGOTG 2,4,6,8,10 were actually released on the same dates and, with no other clue than publication date, I’d say the mini fits rather nicely right before ANGOTG 2 where the Guardians are headed to try and steal the Hujahdarian Egg from the Collector.
So,
FCBD2017:ANGOTG
ANGOTG 3
ANGOTG 1
ANGOTG 7
IGROOT 1-5
ANGOTG 2, 4, 6, 8, 10
Antonio Gaviño
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Antonio Gaviño »

While I’m at it I should probably point out that ANGOTG 9 (where Groot gets tiny) likely happens closer to FCBD2017:ANGOTG than where you have it. Rocket acquires the Citopian vault plans in issue 9 and the Galactus mech he is building is well advanced; he uses both in FCBD2017:ANGOTG. I’d say 2 or 3 weeks apart. Not 3 or 4 months but enough time apart for Groot to grow from the size of a splinter to baby Groot size, and for Quill to go from clean shaven to having a full grown beard.
Antonio Gaviño
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Antonio Gaviño »

You are going to want to move SLORD@ 1 as well. Quill has a full beard in this issue, Groot is tiny and the Guardians use an unspecified ship when rescuing Quill. Going by Quill’s full beard
the issue takes place after ANGOTG 5 where Quill has his beard just starting to grow.
Also in SLORD@ 1 he mentions the Guardians were camped on Moona station when they were attacked by bounty hunters for the third time in two weeks (which is probably when his beard grew). The Guardians are stationed at the time Rocket builds the Galactus mech, as seen in ANGOTG 9 and 3; Moona station is probably where they are located while Rocket is doing that. That places the issue at some point prior to ANGOTG 1 where they are already on the move.

So, I think SLORD@ 1 happens just before FCBD2017:ANGOTG.

ANGOTG 9 Groot gets tiny, Rocket’s workshop on unnamed planet, Galactus mech already in progress. Quill clean shaven.
ANGOTG 5 Quill’s beard starts to grow.
SLORD@ 1 Quill with a full beard. Guardians camped on Moona station. Unspecified ship.
FCBD2017:ANGOTG Quill’s beard full. Guardians get the Milano.
ANGOTG 3 Guardians stationed while Rocket builds Galactus mech.
ANGOTG 1 Guardians use Galactus mech, and on the move after that.
michel
Director
Director

Post by michel »

Col_Fury wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:12 pm NO7 4-6 & 7 (1-16) (before GOTG4 17)
MG&DDINO 16 (18-20) & 17 (“a few days later,” after IvX)
GOTG4 16-17 (Gamora imprisoned)
VLOKI 4 (1-7) [November 3]
SLORD2 2 (4-17) (new Star-Lord suit, fully bearded) (two weeks later, so November 5)
MT2 8 (2) [November 4 – November 7]
MT2 8 (3-20), 9-12 [November 8]
VLOKI 4 (8-20) [November 7-8]
MSM4 13 [November 7-9]
SLORD2 2 (18-20) (three days later, so November 8)
NO7 7 (17-20) (“1 week” after #7 (1-16))
Gamora appears with Richard Rider in NO7 7 (17 - 20), so GOTG4 17 in which she's imprisoned should be after it.
michel
Director
Director

Post by michel »

Col_Fury wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:32 pm Santa got tired of being Santa and cast a spell to make everyone forget about him; this results in Galactus being the symbol of Christmas, people giving hot pants to each other for “Pantsgiving” and various other holiday mix-ups. Since Gwenpool is from a different universe she’s not affected, and that’s how we get GP HSPEC.

Yes, there’s a bit of goofiness going on and the Red Skull is wildly out of character, but we can blame that stuff on Santa’s botched spell. Everything gets fixed by the end.

An editor’s note places this after P11 4.

GP HSPEC came out the same month as UGP 9. We currently have a great big gap between UGP 6-7.

GP HSPEC /2 is a Deadpool Halloween story. Rogue appears.
Actually, there are 3 stories in between the two halves of GP HSPEC, and GP HSPEC /3 happens during Pantsgiving, the replacement of Thanksgiving, so the Deadpool story, a real Halloween story, should be GP HSPEC /5.

And the problem is that Tony Stark appears in GP HSPEC /3 (as Tony) and /4 (as Iron Man), but he's supposed to be comatose since Civil War II...

How do you think we should handle this?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I'll take a look when I get back in tonight. Tony might be a problem...
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

You're right about the story numbering, and fixed that in the spine on the previous page (including the Halloween story).

We can't push it to the previous Christmas, because Gwenpool hasn't joined the MODOK group yet there. We can't push it to the following Christmas, because Gwenpool is no longer with the MODOK group there.

Tony makes two gag appearances. Once while putting on hotpants, and another in the background helping to clean up Hydra in his Iron Man suit. Nothing plot relevant. MAYBE...

Assume that after Punisher explains the meaning of Pantsgiving to Fin Fang Foom, the three panels showing characters receiving hotpants as gifts (Tony, Miles, Galactus/Silver Surfer) are Fin Fang Foom imagining who the best person to give a gift to would be, and then they decide to actually give a gift to Punisher. Meaning, those three panels didn't actually happen (I know he says "That's all of them," but whatever). Then in the next story, assume it's an empty Iron Man suit sent to help clean up by the company.

Or, under Santa's spell, everyone just thinks Tony is back for some reason. When the spell is lifted, blah blah blah

Or something. *waves hand in the air*

Basically, I say let's pretend Tony doesn't appear in these two stories. It's a goof that doesn't affect the story; ignore it.
-Daron Jensen
michel
Director
Director

Post by michel »

Fine for me, thank you

Edit : it could be Ironheart in GP HSPEC /4
michel
Director
Director

Post by michel »

There's also an Iron Man in the present-pages of USQG2 16 (pages 18-19, the party for Squirrel Girl's 20th birthday). I guess we can pretend it's Ironheart here too, though it's clearly meant to be Tony : in the recap page, Tony Stark (@starkmantony) tweets he would like to come to the party.
We also have both Thors but it's OK, we're after MT2 15-19, though there's also Loki and after MT2 19, Odinson knows it's Loki who stabbed Freyja...

Edit : the recap page in USQG2 18 has the tweeting Tony revealing the real Tony is comatose and that he's an AI, so it could be this AI in USQG2 16 and not Ironheart.