Chronology: Birth of the Avengers to Engagement of Reed & Sue

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

StrayLamb
Director
Director

Re: Chronology: Birth of the Avengers to Engagement of Reed & Sue

Post by StrayLamb »

RobinHoodMtl wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:42 am Fixed what appears like a typo in red.
Fixed.
RobinHoodMtl wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:50 pmThere's a single panel in Avengers 16 that could be inserted this way:

Birth of the Avengers to Engagement of Reed & Sue:
Untold Tales of Spider-Man 18
Tales of Suspense 57 (1-7:1): Last panel shows Hawkeye saying he'll have to run for it
Avengers 16 (7:6): Hawkeye is running away from the police who are on foot saying: "Don't let him get away"
Tales of Suspense 57 (7:2-18): First panel shows Hawkeye chased by the police in a car.
Tales of Suspense 58
Amazing Spider-Man Annual 1

And while we're at it, next two panels in Avengers 16 are also missing. At first, I thought they were within Tales of Suspense 64 right before and after panel (12:6), but this is a totally different scene. In TOS 64, it is Iron Man who stuns the Black Widow and Hawkeye does not seem aware yet that she was hired by the Communists. But the panels in A 16 show her on the ground apparently shot by the communist agents behind her. At that time, Hawkeye now knows she just deserted the Reds. Furthermore, he says it happened a week earlier. And most importantly, this is when Hawkeye decides to make amends for his troubled past. MCP lists Hawkeye's appearance like this:
HAWK:BS 1 (16:2 - 16:6)-FB: Hawkeye starts to reconsider his ways as he reads an article about the Avengers.
A:EMH 5 (1 - 3:3): Hawkeye saves Jarvis and his mother from thugs.
HAWK:BS 2 (6:3 - 6:5)-FB: Hawkeye speaks to Jarvis and his mother whom he just saved.
A:EMH 5 (3:4 - 22): First panel shows Hawkeye asking Jarvis to tell the cops he's a good guy.
A:EMH 6
A 16-FB
HAWK:BS 2 (7:1 - 7:4)-FB
I know Official Index for Avengers also places the flashback in A 16 after Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes 6. However, in my opinion, the flashback in A 16 should precede his saving Jarvis and his mom, proving that he's already reformed and started making amends. If we are to keep your list in the same order, this is where I would insert it:

Engagement of Reed and Sue to Defeat of Galactus:
Avengers 15 (1 - 5)
Avengers 16 (8:1 - 8:2)-FB
Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes 5 (Wanda & Pietro)
Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes 5 (21 - 22)
Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes 6 (1 - 6)
Avengers 15 (6 - 19:2)
Avengers 16 (1 - 2:4)
Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes 6 (9 - 14)
Marvel Heroes and Legends 1997 1 (17 - 22:3)
Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes 7 (2:1 - 2:2)
Avengers 16 (7:5 - 8:3)
Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes 7 (2:3)

Of course, if you want to stay in line with Official index and MCP, you can always place it after Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes 6.
Let's go with your placement here - it works better.
RobinHoodMtl wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 12:50 pmNote: i see in this list that you don't have issues for the Hawkeye: Blindspot series so I did not include Hawkeye: Blindspot 2 (6:3 - 6:5)-FB in mine either. But if you want to include it, you'll have to split Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes 5 and place it as MCP does.
One day :willynilly:
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

Fantastic Four Annual 2/3 (4 - 5)-FB should be Fantastic Four Annual 2/3 (4 - 6)-FB in this list.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Fixed, thanks - also added in Daredevil 164 (12:6 - 12:10)-FB.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

Here's a fun thing: most of the new Ant-Man #1 takes place sometime between Tales To Astonish #47 and 49! Hank and Janet are watching the Fantastic Four movie from FF #9 (but indicate that it came out a while ago); younger-than-we've-seen-before versions of Eric O'Grady, Chris McCarthy and Scott Lang all appear too.
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

There is another origin story that is not listed, namely, the Grey Gargoyle's origin in Journey Into Mystery 107. Although it spans over a few months with several scenes evolving in time, I recommend only splitting this part in two. The first is when he 's working in his lab and incident with chemicals gives him his power. He probably started his criminal career very shortly after.The second is when he realized over time that he has accumulated enough fortune and grew bored. He reads a newspaper reporting Thor defeating Cobra and Mr. Hyde (Journey Into Mystery 106).

I would say that in between, there should be a few months. Therefore I would place Journey Into Mystery 107 (5 - 6:3)-FB right after Journey Into Mystery 99-100 and Journey Into Mystery 107 (6:4 - 6:5)-FB right before Tales to Astonish 58.
Last edited by RobinHoodMtl on Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

StrayLamb wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 am Birth of the Avengers to Engagement of Reed & Sue:
Web of Spider-Man II 4
Amazing Spider-Man 13 (15:9)-FB
Untold Tales of Spider-Man 4
There are only 8 panels on that page, it should be Amazing Spider-Man 13 (15:8)-FB. Unless you count last panel's narrative as a distinct panel, of course, but since it's Mysterio recalling a memory, I don't know if that counts as a panel. You don't seem to make the same "separation" further down on (16:3) where Mysterio is also seen narrating at the top of the panel.
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

StrayLamb wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 am Birth of the Avengers to Engagement of Reed & Sue:
Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes 1 (1)
Tales of Suspense 45 (7:3 - 7:5)
Iron Man: The Iron Age 2 (1 - 3:2)
Tales of Suspense 45 (7:5 - 8)
Iron Man: The Iron Age 2 (3:3 - 6)
Tales of Suspense 45 (9 - 12:5)

Tales of Suspense 45 (7:5 - 8) should be Tales of Suspense 45 (7:6 - 8)
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

RobinHoodMtl wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:50 am There is another origin story that is not listed, namely, the Grey Gargoyle's origin in Journey Into Mystery 107. Although it spans over a few months with several scenes evolving in time, I recommend only splitting this part in two. The first is when he 's working in his lab and incident with chemicals gives him his power. He probably started his criminal career very shortly after.The second is when he realized over time that he has accumulated enough fortune and grew bored. He reads a newspaper reporting Thor defeating Cobra and Mr. Hyde (Journey Into Mystery 106).

I would say that in between, there should be a few months. Therefore I would place Journey Into Mystery 107 (5 - 6:3)-FB right after Journey Into Mystery 99-100 and Journey Into Mystery 107 (6:4 - 6:5)-FB right before Tales to Astonish 58.
RobinHoodMtl wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:48 pm
Web of Spider-Man II 4
Amazing Spider-Man 13 (15:9)-FB
Untold Tales of Spider-Man 4
There are only 8 panels on that page, it should be Amazing Spider-Man 13 (15:8)-FB. Unless you count last panel's narrative as a distinct panel, of course, but since it's Mysterio recalling a memory, I don't know if that counts as a panel. You don't seem to make the same "separation" further down on (16:3) where Mysterio is also seen narrating at the top of the panel.
RobinHoodMtl wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:22 pmTales of Suspense 45 (7:5 - 8) should be Tales of Suspense 45 (7:6 - 8)
All done, thanx! Plus a couple of other tidbits thrown in.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

A couple of updates/additions applied in BOLD.
DotStinks
Henchman
Henchman

Post by DotStinks »

Marvels 2 (19 - 22)
Fantastic Four 36 (1 - 3) ~ Marvels 2 (23)
Fantastic Four 36 (5:1 - 5:3)
Fantastic Four 36 (6 - 8:1)
Marvels 2 (24)
Fantastic Four 36 (8:2 - 21)
Marvels 2 (25:1)
Marvels 2 (23:1) is actually the same night as pages 19-22, and is a close-up of Phil's face from the previous panel. Seems a bit out of place.
Marvels 2 (19 - 23:1)
Fantastic Four 36 (1 - 3) ~ Marvels 2 (23:2 - 23:4)
~ Dot
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

DotStinks wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:35 am Marvels 2 (23:1) is actually the same night as pages 19-22, and is a close-up of Phil's face from the previous panel. Seems a bit out of place.
Marvels 2 (19 - 23:1)
Fantastic Four 36 (1 - 3) ~ Marvels 2 (23:2 - 23:4)
You're right - i'll fix that in the next round of updates. Thanx!
Troutlaw
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Troutlaw »

Tales to Astonish 62/1 is missing and Tales to Astonish 62/2 (1-3:6) is here twice.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Fixed, thanks Troutlaw!
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Updates applied in BOLD.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Death of Doctor Strange 2 (4:5)

Post by Leoparis »

We do get the introduction of the Purple dimension in ST 120/2 but Mordo's disciple Kaecilius doesn't get banished there in that issue but in DS2 56.
Leoparis wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:07 pm The younger Doctor Strange notes he has one week before he will return to his timeline.
The fact he recognizes the girl from Dormammu's realm (Clea) but does not have the Eye of Agamotto and Cloak of Levitation places this time-displaced version between Strange Tales 126 and 127 (or between panels of these issues).
I would propose either while he's waiting to duel Dormammu in ST 127 (e.g. between 4:4 and 4:5) because dying is a real threat or right after he receives the artifacts to make sure he will be able to secure them if he came to die.