Conan: Death Covered in Gold #1-3

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

lettsmonster
Big Bad
Big Bad

Conan: Death Covered in Gold #1-3

Post by lettsmonster »

CONAN: DEATH COVERED IN GOLD #1 (September 1999)
by Roy Thomas and John Buscema

APPEARANCES:
Conan, Jenna, Silus and Marni (father/daughter miners); Tarrik and Erif (brigands)

SYNOPSIS:
Silus and his daughter Marni are in Khorala, the capital of Ophir to file a claim for the old man's gold mine in Ororium, an ancient ruined city of Acheron. While in a tavern there, Silus meets Conan and hires him as a bodyguard. Traveling to Ororium, they are attacked by brigands led by Tarrik and Erif, narrowly escaping. Arriving in Ororium, Conan discovers that Jenna is running the local tavern. While entering the mines, Silus and Conan are attacked by three men. As Conan fights them, a large worm creature appears and kills Silus before Conan save him. Back at Jenna's tavern, Conan agrees to dig out the gold for Marni.

CONAN: DEATH COVERED IN GOLD #2 (October 1999)

APPEARANCES:
Conan, Jenna, Marni, Tarrik, Erif

SYNOPSIS:
Conan begins mining gold for the father and daughter, unknowing that the returned from the dead father is a worm creature. Taking a night off, Conan goes to Jenna's tavern to drink, gamble, and take Jenna to bed. Meanwhile, Tarrik and his brigands finally assault the miners of Ororium. Jenna betrays Conan to the brigands. The brigands double cross Jenna, Conan escapes and kills Erif, and the miners revolt against the brigands. A sudden earthquake opens the ground to reveal massive amounts of gold below, which the miners all climb down towards. Worms attack the people that go down for the gold. Conan and Marni wind up stuck between the brigands above and the worms below.

CONAN: DEATH COVERED IN GOLD #3 (November 1999)

APPEARANCES:
Conan, Jenna, Marni, Tarrik

SYNOPSIS:
Conan and Marni race through the mines trying to escape brigands and worms alike. They encounter Jenna, who had escaped both. The brigands enter the mines to start gathering gold. Conan has a dream of a wizard of Acheron who had cursed the city with the worms. Trying to escape the worms, Conan is pinned down by the brigands. Jenna distracts them, allowing Conan to escape. More earthquakes start. Conan, Jenna, and Marni are able to escape the mines to the surface. Conan fights Tarrik on the surface and throws him down to the worms. The two women and Conan flee the city as earthquakes tear it down. Jenna goes her separate way as Conan rides off with Marni.

This appears to be a fairly early story of Conan. The one chronological clue is on the splash page of issue 1, where Roy talks of "a thief lately of Zamora and Corinthia", calling him a "young barbarian". Using the geographic travels of Conan's early wanderings which would take him near to Ophir, I would hazard to place this story between COB 13 and 14. COB 13 places him east of Ophir, presumably then in Corinthia, where he had wandered after Zamora. COB 14 places him in Koth, before heading way back east to the Vilayet Sea.

CHRONOLOGIES:

CONAN
COB 12
COB 13
*CO:DCIG 1
*CO:DCIG 2
*CO:DCIG 3
COB 14
COB 15

ERIF
CO:DCIG 1
CO:DCIG 2

JENNA
COB 6
COB 8
COB 9
COB 10
COB 11-FB
COB 11
*CO:DCIG 1
*CO:DCIG 2
*CO:DCIG 3

MARNI
CO:DCIG 3

TARRIK
CO:DCIG 3

SILUS

Let me know if there are any questions. Thanks!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conan: Death Covered in Gold #1-3

Post by Col_Fury »

lettsmonster wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:38 pmJenna betrays Conan to the brigands.
Oh, Jenna. You just can't help yourself, can you?
lettsmonster wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:38 pmJenna distracts them, allowing Conan to escape.
Wait, maybe there's hope after all? :)

Thank you, sir!
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

While looking in to something else, I see that Jenna appears again in COB 118. Yes, COB 6-11 is recapped in COB 118, but it's not clear in COB 118 that COB 11 was the last time they saw each other. CO:DCIG does make it clear they last saw each other in COB 11, so that means CO:DCIG has to happen somewhere between COB 11 & 118.

That doesn't change anything you suggested, but I figured I'd mention it. :)
-Daron Jensen
lettsmonster
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by lettsmonster »

I knew that Jenna appeared again. I guess I should have mentioned that myself. *brickwall*