Shaman, Dakimh and Satana - Howling Commandos amendments

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Shaman, Dakimh and Satana - Howling Commandos amendments

Post by loki »

Currently Shaman and Dakimh the Enchanter both have NFHC6 in their chronologies, based on a tentative identification - I checked the archives for the forum, and found this:
Nick Fury's Howling Commandos #6 (05/06)
Pages 1-2: Area 13
Area 13 sends a cadre of sorcerors to Stonehenge using captured Eraser technology
Characters: Quartermain, Beemer, Brother Voodoo, Shaman, Doctor Doom (????, someone in armor and a green cloak), Dakimh?

This is the panel in question:
While I can totally see why those identifications were made - a lot of characters were off template in that series, and Shaman and Dakimh seem the closest known Marvel characters to fit the leftmost and rightmost characters - they are unfortunately wrong. Way back circa 2008, when the hardcover handbooks were being written, the Handbook writer tasked with covering the Howling Commandos checked the script, and only Brother Voodoo and Satana are identified for this panel; when he then asked the artist who the others were, he was informed that the guy in the cloak is a generic character, while the pointy hatted wizard is Gandalf and the Native American is Tonto (I kid you not).

Even if anyone here balks at the idea of considering these to be appearances of two such notoriously non-Marvel characters, it's definitely inaccurate to list the issue as having appearances for Shaman or Dakimh. Satana on the other hand needs the appearance added to her listing.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Re: Shaman, Dakimh and Satana - Howling Commandos amendments

Post by vanhornluke »

I don't see what the problem would be with listing Tonto. There's a 616 version of the Lone Ranger, so why not Tonto, too?
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

I don't have a problem with listing Tonto, but I'm aware that others might not share my ... wide-ranging... view on characters from other canons turning up in 616.

Personally, I figure that Gandalf came to 616 chasing Harry Potter, who fled to 616 (see New Excalibur#3) after spilling Gandalf's beer when both of them were in Jazzrats Bar (Crossgen's Mystic#15). :outtahere:
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

At the very least:

DAKIMH THE ENCHANTER
……
MAXSEC 3
**NFHC 6 (delete)

SHAMAN/DR. MICHAEL TWOYOUNGMEN
……
AF3 12
**NFHC 6 (delete)
NA 16 (1 - 17)
……

But if that's really Tonto, and he's appearing in the current day, wouldn't that mean he's older than Wolverine? That's… odd, right?
-Daron Jensen
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Col_Fury wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:55 am But if that's really Tonto, and he's appearing in the current day, wouldn't that mean he's older than Wolverine? That's… odd, right?
Maybe he hitched a ride with Two-Gun Kid one of the times Matt Hawk did a time jump? Or, since this appearance effectively confirmed he has to have magical abilities, maybe he's like loads of other sorcerers and has slowed down his aging. Eh, it's the Marvel universe - he might be an Eternal or External, have transferred his human consciousness into an unaging robot body, spent time in a dimension where time flowed more slowly, have taken the anti-aging pills used by Fu Manchu or have evaded death by transferring into a younger cloned body.
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Post by dimadick »

Tonto is mentioned by the Rawhide Kid in "Rawhide Kid" vol. 3 #1 (April, 2003). The homosexual Rawhide Kid mentions being attracted to the well-dressed Lone Ranger, and claims to have figured why Tonto has been following the Ranger around. Implying that Tonto is in love with the Ranger.

Tonto is again mentioned in "Rawhide Kid" vol. 4 #4 (August, 2010). The villain Cristo Pike insults his own sidekick, by claiming that the man makes Tonto seem like a genius.