Days of Future Past characters in New Mutants I#48

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Days of Future Past characters in New Mutants I#48

Post by loki »

MCP lists NM#48 among the appearances of many DoFP/Earth-811 characters. Unfortunately, while that issue does include a reality dominated by Sentinels and clearly reminiscent of 811 (there's even a wanted poster similar to the one adorning the cover of X-Men I#141), it isn't 811.

In 811, things go downhill after the assassination of Senator Kelly.
In this reality, when asked how everything went wrong, Sam Guthrie says "Beats me. Anything bad in the world suddenly got blamed on mutants." He can't pinpoint something specific, unlike in 811.

In 811, Mystique's Brotherhood assassinated Kelly, and triggered the anti-mutant sentiment; it seems unlikely they'd be able to barter a pardon and become Freedom Force in such a world, but in New Mutants I#48, Freedom Force is among the government-approved heroes sent to capture all (other) mutants.

In New Mutants I#48, Guthrie recalls events that have just happened to the present day New Mutants (battling Magus, meeting Robert the Bruce), indicating this is a reality that is still a possible future for 616; 811 diverged from 616 long before this story, prior even to X-Men I#141.

In Excalibur I#67, Excalibur invade the Sentinels' Manhattan base and finally defeat the Sentinels. In New Mutants I#48, which would have to be prior to this since the Sentinels are still in control, Magma turns Manhattan island into a volcano, thus destroying the base that Excalibur I#67 needs to be still intact if they were actually the same timeline.

As such, the Handbooks identify the world in New Mutants I#48 as Earth-8720.