Chronology: Post Blood and Thunder - Starblast to Hulk Future Imperfect

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

StrayLamb
Director
Director

Re: Chronology: Post Blood and Thunder - Starblast to Hulk Future Imperfect

Post by StrayLamb »

Looks like we need to add DSSS 64 (1 - 4) in here. It follows on immediately from DSSS 63.

---
DSSS 62 (DR. STRANGE; MORBIUS) [Winter Solstice]
DSSS 63 (DR. STRANGE; MORBIUS; BLADE; MODRED)
DSSS 64 (1 - 4) (DR. STRANGE)
M/HOL 1993 (SPIDER-MAN; MEPHISTO) [Christmas]
M/HOL 1993/6 (HULK) [Christmas]
---
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
robfj
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by robfj »

I'm looking at the changes I posted in 2023 to individual char chronologies between Infinity Crusade and Marvel Vs DC, and seeing if the global chronologies require changes too. Some, such as Thanos in SMTU 2, I can skip over because they effectively brought individual chronologies into line with the global version anyway. I have already dealt within FUTURE IMPERFECT to PHALANX COVENANT with a change from Night Thrasher #15 which corrected an actual Hulk chronology error that existed in both his chronology and the global one.

There is another class of change that I would also normally ignore which is where I made a change to break a chronology loop. Since chronology loops are almost impossible in the global chronologies then they must have broken the loop as well but not necessarily the way I did it. But I can't justify asking for the glob chron to be changed just to fit my choice of method. However my 2nd post to FUTURE IMPERFECT to PHALANX COVENANT concerned such a loop, that was also part of the Night Thrasher #15 thread. It pointed out that a connection in that loop that was broken in that global thread actually caused a chronology error that the char chronologies had avoided, and so needed fixing globally.

But enough of the ground rules. My posts in this thread will concern several changes I made in Code Blue in the Thunderstrike period.

The 1st problem concerns the connected block of issues TSTRK 4-7 and 2 separate issues CA 425 and 426. Jock Jackson is alive in CA 426 and dies in TSTRK 7. Meanwhile in TSTRK 4 Captain America knows his health is failing but doesn't know why, then in CA 425 he finds out why. This was a conundrum because the 1st sentence says CA 425 and 426 happen before TSTRK 4-7 while the 2nd sentence asserts the opposite. The chronologies of Cap and the Code Blue team also disagreed about it, with Cap taking the 2nd tack and Code Blue taking the 1st. I solved the problem by separating pages 1-6 of TSTRK 4 where Cap appeared from the rest of the issue (and the block of issues).

Tracking Code Blue apps across this global thread and the next (FUTURE IMPERFECT to PHALANX COVENANT), and including a couple of other Cap issues, I get:-
SMU 3 4 line 2
SMU 3/3 44
(TSTRK 4 255 Code Blue not there but CA is)
TSTRK 5 256
TSTRK 6 257
TSTRK 7(1-21) 258
(CA 425 303-305 Code Blue not there but CA is)
CA 426 FI-PC line 15
CA 428 FI-PC 278

The line numbers refer to spreadsheets where I have copied each chronology, with 2 extra lines added at the top.

Here we see that TSTRK 4-7 is listed before CA 425&426 and so fits the progress of Cap's illness. But it leaves Jackson dying before his app in CA 426. The equivalent of my change to correct this is:-

SMU 3 4 line 2
SMU 3/3 44
(TSTRK 4(1-6) 255 Code Blue not there but CA is)
(CA 425 303-305 Code Blue not there but CA is)
CA 426 FI-PC line 15
(TSTRK 4(7-22) FI-PC neither Code Blue nor Cap are here)
TSTRK 5 FI-PC
TSTRK 6 FI-PC
TSTRK 7(1-21) FI-PC
CA 428 FI-PC 278

If we place the TSTRK issues in FI-PC immediately after CA 426 then they will still be before IM 302(21-23)-304(1-11) which include the next apps of both Cap and Thunderstrike.

Code Blue wind up having their TSTRK 5-7 apps move after their CA 426 apps.

The global order of Thunderstrike's apps isn't changed beyond splitting TSTRK 4 into 2 parts.

And the only change to Captain America's global sequence is shrinking TSTRK 4 to pages 1-6.

Other people we may want to consider who appear in the TSTRK issues are Spider-Man, Mary Jane Watson-Parker, Nick Fury, Dum Dum Dugan plus some Blackwulf chars.

For the Blackwulf chars this is just a tease for the BWULF series which won't show up until the following part of the global chronology in Phalanx Covenant to Hands Of The Mandarin.

In my original thread I chose to change some more bits of Cap's chronology to avoid having to change the chronology for the other 4 chars. But I think the dynamic in the global chronologies is different. The global chronologies aren't as elastic as the set of char chronologies. So here I just do the necessary change above and leave everything else as it is unless that would cause a chronology problem for some char, which I don't believe is the case here.

The required change affects 2 global chronology threads, moving the bulk of the TSTRK issues from here to the Future Imperfect to Phalanx Covenant thread.

The change here is to change
TSTRK 4 (SPIDER-MAN;CAPTAIN AMERICA;THUNDERSTRIKE)
to
TSTRK 4 (1-6) (CAPTAIN AMERICA;THUNDERSTRIKE)
and delete TSTRK 5-7 (1-21)

I'll document the change to Future Imperfect to Phalanx Covenant in a short post there.
robfj
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by robfj »

In FBs in Marvel Double Feature: Avengers I showed that the Henry Pym/Scarlet Witch/Wasp flashback in M/DF:A 379/2(8:1-8:4) was in the wrong place, and I now point out that the same is true in the global chronology.

The FB is actually in 2 parts with 8:1 separate from the rest.

8:2-8:4 show Hank and Jan leaving the West Coast Avengers after the end of AWC 74, with Wanda watching them go.

8:1 is a replay of a scene in AWC 69(12:6) where Wanda learns that the duo intend to leave the team and split up. Jan's dialogue in 8:1 is a direct copy of a speech bubble in 12:6. As such I recommended that 8:1 be dropped, and do so again here.

Thus the change in this thread is to delete M/DF:A 379/2(8:1-8:4).

I'll do a separate post for the target area in X-TINCTION AGENDA to INFINITY GAUNTLET.

In my original post I forgot that Wasp's FB without panel range included page 9 where she has a solo collage of images depicting her jetsetting life between the FBs in 8:1-8:4 and 10:2-12:5. Or maybe I just didn't know what to do with it?

This global thread has it as a separate FB entry (for Wasp only) immediately before (10:2-12:5). What it depicts does indeed end there but extends back for a long time. I still don't know what to do with it. Leave it there or drop it completely? Or place it in some random position midway between XTA-IG and here?