DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS 6-8

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS 6-8

Post by Midnighter »

Daredevil: Dark Nights 6-8 has been placed in this topic, although there is not yet a complete analysis of these stories and they are absent from the chronologies of the individual characters.

DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS 6
In the Name of the King - Part One
by Jimmy Palmiotti and Thony Silas

APPEARANCES:
Daredevil (Murdock), Misty Knight, Nestor Canosa, agent Keller of FBI, masked goons that tries to kill Canosa, King (José Gomez) BTS, various henchmen of King, Miami policemen

SYNOPSIS:
Matt Murdock and FBI agent Keller accompany Nestor Canosa, a witness in a trial against drug kingpin Oscar Gomez, to a Miami hotel to keep him under protection. Murdock meets Misty Knight at the hotel, but the encounter between the two is disturbed by the attack of two masked hitmen who kidnap Canosa and kill Agent Keller.
That night, as Daredevil, Murdock investigates with Misty, who wants to use Oscar Gomez to get to her brother Jose, aka King, a Cuban boss.Once Gomez's men are tracked down and handed over to the police, they head to Cuba in a helicopter.

NOTE:
Throughout the duration of this story arc, Matt and Misty flirt very strongly, so this story should be at a time when both of them have no romantic ties.
I would say that the placement after Villains For Hire for Misty is fine, thinking that her relationship with Paladin ended sometime after the miniseries, and around Daredevil's flirtation with Black Cat in the crossover between Amazing Spider-Man and Daredevil Vol. 3

DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS 7
In the Name of the King - Part Two

APPEARANCES:
Daredevil (Murdock), Misty Knight, Nestor Canosa, King (José Gomez), various henchmen of King, Juan and his twin sister

SYNOPSIS:
Daredevil and Misty's helicopter is shot down as they approach Cuba, but the two make it to safety on a life raft.
The next morning, in his immense villa on the beach of Varadero, King welcomes Canosa, while he forces two twins to fight each other to the death, to prove his power to Canosa.
Carmen, a killer in his service, tells him about the arrival of Daredevil and Misty.
King orders to kill Daredevil and capture Misty Knight alive. Carmen and the men of King and Carmen carry out their task, and believing that they have killed Murdock they load him unconscious into a truck full of corpses.
Murdock wakes up but passes out as soon as he escapes from the truck, while Misty finds herself in King's mansion, where Carmen makes her wear a cocktail dress. When King sees her, he tells her to say hello to her ex-boyfriend.

DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS 8
In the Name of the King - Part Three

APPEARANCES:
Daredevil (Murdock), Misty Knight (also in FB), Nestor Canosa, King (José Gomez, also in FB), various henchmen of King, Jackie, Solan and other cubans who wants to overthrow King, Colleen Wing (in FB)

FLASHBACK:
In the year 2000, José Gomez and Misty Knight are lovers in New York. One evening, when José leaves Misty's apartment, Colleen Wing tells Misty that she has found out that he is actually a drug dealer.
At the same time, José orders Misty's apartment to be blown up. The explosion kills Misty's dog.

SYNOPSIS:
Murdock was rescued by some locals who offer their support to overthrow King.
Misty Knight and King have a heated argument, and King orders her to be tied up and tortured. Daredevil manages to infiltrate King's mansion and frees both Canosa and Misty.
As Misty rescues Canosa, Daredevil blocks King's escape.
In the following days Canosa testifies against King's brother, Oscar Gomez, while King is arrested and sentenced in the United States.
Matt and Misty are then on the beach in Miami to spend a few days of vacation together.

NOTE:
I would place the flashback between the appearances of Misty Knight and Colleen Wing around comics published at the turn of 2000.
I'm not sure about her relationship with Danny Rand. I don't remember if between Iron Fist/Wolverine and her appearance in Black Panther vol 3 she was permanently in a relationship with Danny or not.

DAREDEVIL/MATTHEW MICHAEL MURDOCK/"JACK BATLIN"
[,,,]
A4 24
F.F. 11
FF 600
DD:DN 6
DD:DN 7
DD:DN 8 <---ADD

DD3 7-FB
DD3 7
ASM 677
[...]

WING, COLLEEN
[...]
FF3 6
HFH 18
HFH 19
DD:DN 8-FB <---ADD
BP3 38-FB
BP3 38
PULSE 9
[...]

KNIGHT, MERCEDES "MISTY"
[...]
IF/W 2-BTS
IF/W 3
IF/W 4
DD:DN 8-FB <---ADD
BP3 38-FB
BP3 38
IF4 1
[...]
VFH 4 (1 - 15)
VFH 4 (19:3 - 19:4)-FB
VFH 4 (19 - 20)
DD:DN 6
DD:DN 7
DD:DN 8 <---ADD

FLSSDEF 1
FLSSDEF 2
FLSSDEF 3
[...]
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: DAREDEVIL: DARK NIGHTS 6-8

Post by Midnighter »

I checked. At the end of IF/W (2000), Danny and Misty are still a couple.
In BP3 38 (2002) Misty calls Danny for help when Colleen is ambushed by Deadly Nightshade, but nothing is said about their relantionship status.
In IF4 1 (2004) Danny and Misty are still friends, but a couple no more.

So I think the flashback with King may take place where I put it (i.e. around the comics published in 2000), assuming Misty and Danny broke up after IM/W and are just friends in BP3 38.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Midnighter wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:39 pm NOTE:
Throughout the duration of this story arc, Matt and Misty flirt very strongly, so this story should be at a time when both of them have no romantic ties.
I would say that the placement after Villains For Hire for Misty is fine, thinking that her relationship with Paladin ended sometime after the miniseries, and around Daredevil's flirtation with Black Cat in the crossover between Amazing Spider-Man and Daredevil Vol. 3
Note that Matt is typically the type of character who does not mind flirting when he already has a romantic tie. From him flirting with Moondragon when he was with Black Widow, to his flirting with Black Widow and Elektra while he was with Karen Page to having sex with Black Cat while he's starting a relationship with Kirsten, I think examples abound.

Not being familiar with Misty Knight's chronology, I rely on your analysis.
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Post by dimadick »

Leoparis wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:20 am
Note that Matt is typically the type of character who does not mind flirting when he already has a romantic tie. From him flirting with Moondragon when he was with Black Widow, to his flirting with Black Widow and Elektra while he was with Karen Page to having sex with Black Cat while he's starting a relationship with Kirsten, I think examples abound.
One example comes from Daredevil #189. In then-recent issues, Daredevil pressured a reluctant Heather Glenn into getting engaged to him. In this issue, Heather catches Daredevil sharing a room with a half-dressed Black Widow. Instead of explaining himself, starts ordering Heather around. Her reply to him?:

"Oooh! You're so masterful, Matt! Love it when you tell me what to. Just love it. "

The same Matt who ruined her career, closed her company, and kept neglecting her. Perfect husband material.