Marvel Chronology Project youtube videoes

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Omni Bomni
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Marvel Chronology Project youtube videoes

Post by Omni Bomni »

I just joined this forum. I used to read Marcel comics back before I started using the internet. I wish I had known of this website then. I'm going to start read Marvel again soon.
This website will be a great reference for that. However, the way it's formatted, doesn't make it easy, to know what evidence there is for each placement. I also think the formatering will kinda scare away some potential fans.
Therefore, I thought "What if we tried to have the Marvel Cronolgy Project as a youtube series". I have been planning on starting a channel myself. I thought videoes about this subject would fit greatly into the kind of video projects I have already planned. I wanted to ask, if anybody would like to help me out with making explanation videoes of the Marvel timeline, by suggesting topics, and tell me what issues to look at for evidence of the different placements.
I Hope I was able to make my thoughts clear, I think my message ended up a little clunky. Excited to hear People's thoughts
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Marvel Chronology Project youtube videoes

Post by Russ Chappell »

Omni Bomni wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:56 pm This website will be a great reference for that.
Well, maybe...maybe not. Actually, probably not. We don't really recommend that people use the listings here as a reading order. It would be horribly convoluted and tortuous to follow some of the stories that bounce from one title to another, to say nothing of the ruined dramatic effect of reading flashbacks that spoil mysteries that play out over years, sometimes decades.

You might find a site like Travis Starnes' reading order to be of more help in what you're trying to accomplish.

Best of luck, though.
However, the way it's formatted, doesn't make it easy, to know what evidence there is for each placement. I also think the formatering will kinda scare away some potential fans.
Fair criticisms. It's easy to see how the listings here might scare off casual fans, who otherwise could eventually become...not-so-casual fans.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Russ Chappell wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:00 pm Fair criticisms. It's easy to see how the listings here might scare off casual fans, who otherwise could eventually become...not-so-casual fans.
All I can say is the MCP has certainly been entirely responsible for my descent into chronology-induced madness over the last 6 or so years.
Omni Bomni wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:56 pm However, the way it's formatted, doesn't make it easy, to know what evidence there is for each placement. I also think the formatering will kinda scare away some potential fans.
I think this is a fair point to some extent, though I think Russ answered perfectly. However, I will say that I do think it could be very interesting to see the MCP's content presented in different formats. I'm currently ironing out Conan's chronology in my spare time, with the eventual idea of writing up a comprehensive biography of Marvel's Conan, with all stories and flashbacks chronologised and synopsised, with any references to non-shown events listed as well. That's certainly a long way from coming to fruition, though. The amount of work for any project of that size should not be understated.
Therefore, I thought "What if we tried to have the Marvel Chronology Project as a youtube series". I have been planning on starting a channel myself. I thought videoes about this subject would fit greatly into the kind of video projects I have already planned. I wanted to ask, if anybody would like to help me out with making explanation videoes of the Marvel timeline, by suggesting topics, and tell me what issues to look at for evidence of the different placements.
It's a cool idea, I know I'd definitely watch! Though, as Russ says, the CMRO might work as a better baseline - for one, there they have a single list (admittedly based on publication rather than chronology), whereas here at the MCP theres thousands of individual character listings (though I know people have been working hard on creating a full chronology here on the forums). If you're just returning to Marvel after a long time, a series chronicling your progress through the order, and perhaps placing any flashback issues chronologically, and commenting on the internal chronology of series at the time of release would definitely be interesting.
Omni Bomni
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by Omni Bomni »

I like wolverine7230's idea off trying to construct my timeline as I go through my read through. That was the idea I had before I found this website. After I found this website, I thought, that maybe some people would just like the information as to why certain stories were placed at certain points, and therefore I wanted to know all the information that come from newer releases, that would change how earlier stories were placed, without telling the audience what happened in those newer stories.
I know see, that it would likely be better, if I constructed a timeline, as I go through my reading, so that the viewers can follow along the journey as well, and better understand why certain things are placed at certain times.
When I have eventually made a script for the comics released in 1939, I will post a doc with the script, so that it can be double checked by you guys, to make sure I don't accidenitilly say something, that is just completely wrong, if I am given permission to post the doc by the admins.
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Omni Bomni wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:13 pm When I have eventually made a script for the comics released in 1939, I will post a doc with the script, so that it can be double checked by you guys, to make sure I don't accidenitilly say something, that is just completely wrong, if I am given permission to post the doc by the admins.
It's definitely an interesting project, and I look forward to hearing more from you in the future! Make sure to keep me in the loop!

If you aren't aware of it already, Col_Fury's calendar of the Second World War in the Marvel universe is a great resource, that will probably be of help during those early years:
http://www.ablecompanybase.com/
It hasn't been updated for a while, but is still very very useful!
Omni Bomni
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by Omni Bomni »

wolverine7230 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:37 pm It's definitely an interesting project, and I look forward to hearing more from you in the future! Make sure to keep me in the loop!
Will do.
Is the Dave Dean funny pages, Amazing Man and so on even canon. I'm a bit confused
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

They certainly are, Dave Dean went on to appear in Mystic Comics #1 (March 1940), and has been referenced in the handbooks. John Aman (Amazing Man)'s first mainstream Marvel appearance was in Immortal Iron Fist #8 (October 2007).

While CMRO's extended order is certainly interesting and a valuable asset, I'd probably recommend sticking to the main order (if you want to jump right in with superhero stuff), or the golden age order (if you actually want to start in 1939). That way you'll avoid all of the extra stuff, which can sometimes drown out the actual Marvel stuff, and can be tough to get through sometimes. This way, you can return to the Expanded order at another time and use it almost as a guide to the expanded canon.

If you have any further questions about the CMRO, I highly recommend you ask the knowledgable community over on their forums - they certainly know their stuff.