The post-Inferno to end of the Krakoa era X-titles thread

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

The post-Inferno to end of the Krakoa era X-titles thread

Post by Clive_Reston »

I had so much fun keeping track of the Hellfire Gala-to-Inferno sequence that I'm just gonna keep going, I think. (As always, corrections are VERY welcome.)

Issues with no particular placement needs:
X-FORCE 25-26
X-CORP 3-5
S.W.O.R.D. 8 (and its -FB)
X-MEN 2
X-MEN 3

BLACK KNIGHT: CURSE OF THE EBONY BLADE 1-5 are at some point between King in Black & Death of Doctor Strange. Various Avengers appear.

DEFENDERS 1-5 seem to be shortly before Death of Doctor Strange.

DoDS includes DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE: X-MEN/BLACK KNIGHT 1.

X-MEN 4 is at some point after Strange's death. (Allegedly "Halloween" but that seems like a topical reference.)

MARAUDERS 26 seems to be sometime shortly before X-MEN 5: Urich is chasing the story but hasn't yet broken it.

X-MEN 5

In X-MEN 6, there are only ten members of the Council present, but let's just say Destiny and Colossus were off doing other stuff that day. Scott becomes Captain Krakoa. There is a S.W.O.R.D. Station Two, so presumably before S.W.O.R.D. 9-11, but the Peak isn't actually destroyed there, so that could be flexible. Seems to be around Christmas, but that could easily be another topical reference. Spider-Man appears; could be Parker, could be Reilly.

DEVIL'S REIGN: X-MEN 1: Scott is Captain Krakoa. (I need to read more of Devil's Reign to see how tight a timeline it has...)

S.W.O.R.D. 9-11 refers to a "debacle with Phobos" that could mean either WAY OF X 5 or X-MEN 6; doesn't really matter!

MARAUDERS 27 is after X-MEN 6 (because "Feilong's Martian outpost" is open). Delores Ramirez is still active.

WOLVERINE 17-18: Delores Ramirez is shot (but doesn't seem to be dead; last we see her she's getting CPR).

WOLVERINE 19 is not especially placement-sensitive.

By EXCALIBUR 24-26, it's been "months" since X of Swords.

X-MEN: THE ONSLAUGHT REVELATION 1 (29:4 - 30) is "two months" after the rest of the issue.

X LIVES OF WOLVERINE 1 is a tricky case, and we'll have to watch to see how X Lives/X Deaths plays out. But it sure seems like pp. 3-6, 9-16, 21-23 and 27-30 happen in an alternate timeline, identified in the text pages as "LOGAN VI"--possibly Moira's sixth life? Though she was born later than Xavier. SCRATCHING MY CHIN OVER HERE. Perhaps a time-traveling Logan VI?

Worth noting: the non-flashback parts of the digital-only LIFE OF WOLVERINE INFINITY COMIC 1 appear to happen during pp. 17-20 of X LIVES 1.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: The rolling post-Inferno X-titles thread

Post by Midnighter »

X-Men Unlimited Infinity Comic 13-20 (now they published up to 18) should place before Excalibur 24-26: Betsy Braddock is on Krakoa.

In X-Men 6 Spider-Man should be Parker, given the costume.
But soon after the death of Doctor Strange (i would say the very next day) Ben Reilly is Spider-Man and Peter Parker is still in hospital (as seen in Death of Doctor Strange: Spider-Man).
So, I think that X-Men 6 (the present part) should take place after the return of Peter Parker, that will be soon in Amazing Spider-Man. But in Devil's Reign we have Ben Reilly as Spider-Man. Could Devil's Reign take place before the present part of X-Men 6 (i haven't read yet Devil's Reign: X-Men)?
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

Devil's Reign has a few issues left to go, but yes, the Spidey in X-Men #6 is definitely wearing the Parker costume. Maybe Ben borrowed it on laundry day? (Or maybe it's a one-panel art error...)

I suspect X-Men #7, next week, will explain a bit more about the Captain Krakoa situation. Gerry Duggan is writing Devil's Reign: X-Men, so I expect it will fit neatly with the other X-titles, at least.

Unrelatedly: I may have giggled out loud when I realized that Devil's Reign: Superior Four is yet another "New Fantastic Four" homage.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Clive_Reston wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:26 pm X LIVES OF WOLVERINE 1 is a tricky case, and we'll have to watch to see how X Lives/X Deaths plays out. But it sure seems like pp. 3-6, 9-16, 21-23 and 27-30 happen in an alternate timeline, identified in the text pages as "LOGAN VI"--possibly Moira's sixth life? Though she was born later than Xavier. SCRATCHING MY CHIN OVER HERE. Perhaps a time-traveling Logan VI?
Pretty sure that's just time periods. Time period 6/10 chronologically that the series (or both series between them) will be visiting.
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE 1 (1-5) is immediately, and I mean immediately, after INFERNO 4 (30-36), with XDOW 1 (6-7) slightly later.

XDOW 1 (8-32) is "days later," after INFERNO 4 (37-45). Xavier is present; so is Delores Ramirez. (We're way before WOLVERINE 17-18, still.)

X-MEN 6 and 7 have fairly scrambled chronology, sometimes clearly signaled and sometimes not. (I also still think the MCP is going to need to have a way of signaling flash-forwards, because they're becoming a significant part of Marvel's storytelling repertoire; #6 includes "six days from now" and "a week from now" scenes.) Near as I can figure, it goes:

X-MEN 6 (6-15 and 16)
X-MEN 7 (1-3)
X-MEN 7 (6-18)
X-MEN 7 (4-5)
X-MEN 6 (4-5)
X-MEN 6 (1-3)
X-MEN 6 (17-20)
X-MEN 7 (19-20)

All of which is before Devil's Reign (because of Captain Krakoa) and before MARAUDERS 27 (because of "Feilong's Martian outpost"), which in turn seems to be before WOLVERINE 17-18 (because of Delores Ramirez).

MARAUDERS ANNUAL 1 is sometime after MARAUDERS 27.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

Death of Doctor Strange 5 has the "adult" Starbrand, so it has to take place after the current Avengers storyline (against Multiversal Masters of Evil).
But there is also Cyclops (like in DoDS: X-Men/Black Knight), so it's also before the death of Cyclops and the debut of Captain Krakoa in X-Men 6-7.
For Spider-Man, I'll wait but maybe there's a room when it's possibile to have Peter Parker swinging with his costume (that is a plot point in latest Amazing Spider-Man) during Ben Reilly's tenure as Beyond's Spider-Man.
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

X-Men Legends #11 takes place, a note indicates, before New Mutants #77.

X Lives of Wolverine #2 involves further time-jumping and timeline-altering. We'll see where that one goes.

The X-Cellent #1 is almost entirely devoid of connections to anything Krakoan, apart from one-panel cameos by Nightcrawler and Blink (!).

Sabretooth #1 begins with Sabretooth's scene in House of X #6, and then seems to be mostly happening inside his head (although there's a cutaway to the surface of Krakoa at some point when the Green Lagoon is active and Black Tom is about to accompany Xavier to Terra Verde).

Fantastic Four: Reckoning War Alpha #1 includes appearances by a couple of the current X-Men (though not Scott Summers), as well as Abigail Brand, and some stuff happens that seems like it would affect the Summers House. Also, Iron Man refers to himself as a member of the X-Men, though I'm pretty sure that's just a production error...
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

Clive_Reston wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:42 pm X-Men Legends #11 takes place, a note indicates, before New Mutants #77.
[...]
Sabretooth #1 begins with Sabretooth's scene in House of X #6, and then seems to be mostly happening inside his head (although there's a cutaway to the surface of Krakoa at some point when the Green Lagoon is active and Black Tom is about to accompany Xavier to Terra Verde).

Fantastic Four: Reckoning War Alpha #1 includes appearances by a couple of the current X-Men (though not Scott Summers), as well as Abigail Brand, and some stuff happens that seems like it would affect the Summers House. Also, Iron Man refers to himself as a member of the X-Men, though I'm pretty sure that's just a production error...
X-Men Legends 11 takes place also very shortly after X-Men Legends 3-4, quite at the same time. Issues 3-4 takes place between X-Factor 42-43, and in New Mutants 78, Ship is seen to take off as is seen in the end of X-Men Legends 4 and at the beginning of X-Factor 43. So X-Men Legends 3-4, 11, XF 42 and NM 78 all take place in a very short frame of time.

About Sabretooth 1, if the mutants that's appear in Creed's "hell" are real, at that point of the story we shold be at least arond Hellfire Gala, as Oya last appeared in New Mutants 18.

In Reckoning War Alpha I think that's an art error and that dialogue should be attribuited to Sunfire. Also, in this issue Spider-Man is Peter Parker, and so it has to take place after the Beyond storyline (o, at least, after Black Cat and Captain Americe give back the costume to Peter) and after Devil's Reign.
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE #2 follows hot on the heels of #1, and the present-day bits of X LIVES seem to be happening around the same time.

SECRET X-MEN #1 is some time after the Hellfire Gala--members of its cast haven't seen each other since then, and it's been a little while--but is otherwise pretty flexible placement-wise.

NEW MUTANTS #24 is slightly tricky. Pages 1-12 are not long at all after X-MEN: THE TRIAL OF MAGNETO 5 (16-19)--they seem to be later the same day. But pages 13-20 have to be after HELLIONS 18 and are therefore probably after INFERNO. It looks like the bulk of the issue is a conversation between Magik and Rictor in the Green Lagoon, but it has to be two separate conversations separated by some time. (Magik also implies that Strange Academy is still open, but that's not a problem.)
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

X-MEN 8 is sometime during the Summers-as-Captain-Krakoa period, though its -FB (9:2 - 9:3) is once again to the election scene at the Hellfire Gala.

The chronology of X LIVES and X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE is starting to shake out. Looks like XLOW 1 (7-8) and (24-26) are most likely flashbacks, shortly followed by the "recent past" flashbacks in XLOW 2 (10-12) and XLOW 3 (10-11). Somewhere between the end of INFERNO and the beginning of XLOW seems like a good place to put them.

Is there a guideline for how the MCP deals with a character whose body is from one point in their chronology but whose consciousness is from a different point? Because that's what's apparently going on in a lot of X LIVES--the "Days of Future Past" thing. (On top of that, there are panels where we're seeing "present-day" Jean in the same panel as scenes in the past...) The final scene of XDOW 3 may also complicate matters. Developing, as they say.

The digital-only X-MEN UNLIMITED INFINITY COMIC #22-23 starts a new storyline that takes place "a few weeks" after the sequence from the first four issues (i.e. the ones that will be printed next month as X-MEN UNLIMITED: LATITUDE).
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

X-MEN 9 is definitely sometime after S.W.O.R.D. 9-11.

DEVIL'S REIGN: X-MEN 2 has a loooong flashback (pp. 4-16) that takes place at a time when Elektra is the Kingpin's assassin and... Spider-Man is in his black suit. OW OW OW OW OW. Which is to say: for it to work, sometime between DD 190 and DD 322, Elektra has to have left the Chaste, come back to NYC, and worked as an assassin for Fisk again, pretty extensively, without anyone but Fisk or Emma Frost knowing about it (to be fair, it's presented as a no-surviving-witnesses kind of deal, but still).

(EDITED TO ADD: On reflection, I think it may be fair to treat it the same way as UX@2 2 -FB --which is to say, to consider it Emma's flashback, and to note that her repeated brain traumas have caused her to misremember some visual details. Spider-Man in black rather than in red-and-blue here, Selene rather than Tessa there...)

There are also some briefer flashbacks that will have to be placed based on Sue Richards' outfit and hairstyle, Tony Stark's facial hair, etc.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I'm inclined to say Emma remembered the wrong Spider-costume etc. than to invent an entire period where Elektra is alive in public, working her old job at a time when she's supposed to be dead.

Faulty memory, art error, whatever. It's the lesser of two evils in this case, I think.
-Daron Jensen
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

sometime between DD 190 and DD 322, Elektra has to have left the Chaste, come back to NYC, and worked as an assassin for Fisk again, pretty extensively, without anyone but Fisk or Emma Frost knowing about it
Nice solution.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

Col_Fury wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:35 pm I'm inclined to say Emma remembered the wrong Spider-costume etc. than to invent an entire period where Elektra is alive in public, working her old job at a time when she's supposed to be dead.

Faulty memory, art error, whatever. It's the lesser of two evils in this case, I think.
Elektra is cleaned in DD 190 (Jan 83), dresses in white, joins the Chaste, shaves her head and only gets corrupted again in Fall from Grace (1993) when she reintegrates the part of her essence that had been left in Garrett. Could the scenes of Erynys getting that part of Elektra's essence in Fall From Grace be interpreted as flashbacks so that the Elektra seen by Emma and the little girl are is actually Erynys? Emma would see "her" with her mind and that would translate as "Elektra."

I've also considered Typhoid Mary impersonating Elektra with Kingpin's approval. Spider-Man ditches the black costume in ASM 300 (May 88) and Typhoid Mary starts working for the Kinpin in DD 254 (May 88) so there is a small window where the Kingpin could trap Emma Frost with a fake story of "Elektra" needing a witness removed. Spider-Man just before ASM 300, Typhoid Mary just after DD 254.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Elektra is cleaned in DD 190 (Jan 83), dresses in white, joins the Chaste, shaves her head and only gets corrupted again in Fall from Grace (1993) when she reintegrates the part of her essence that had been left in Garrett. Could the scenes of Erynys getting that part of Elektra's essence in Fall From Grace be interpreted as flashbacks so that the Elektra seen by Emma and the little girl are is actually Erynys? Emma would see "her" with her mind and that would translate as "Elektra."
This seems like a clever solution, with keeping in tact both stories without an explanation. We can just assume that Erynys got darker over time.