Bullseye discrepancy

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Nausiated
Hero
Hero

Bullseye discrepancy

Post by Nausiated »

Going through Bullseye's chronology and I have found a discrepancy that may need to be re-evaluated. The listing here is:

DD 181
DD 191
DD 196
DD 197
DD 198
DD 199
DD 200
DD2 111-FB
DD 500/3-FB
DD 500/3
1985 4
CA 372
CA 373
CA 374
CA 375
CA 376
CA 377

This is a case where flashback stories have been slotted in between earlier issues of an ongoing series. The above listing doesn't make much sense in its current form if you break everything down....

-----------------
First, the issues that were published in that era are

DD 181 - Bullseye killed Electra. Daredevil defeat him leaving Lester crippled.

DD 191 - DD visits Bullseye in the hospital and plays Russian roulette with him. Bullseye is still crippled.

DD 196-199 - Bullseye is transported to Japan where his damaged spine is healed by Dark Wind thanks to some Adamantium lacing.

DD 200 - Bullseye returns to New York City. Battles Daredevil again and is defeated and taken into custody.

CA 372-377 - Bullseye breaks out of prison and helps Kingpin fight a drug war with the Red Skull.

-----------

The flashback stories that are slotted in between DD 200 and CA 372 are:

DD2 111 - Bullseye is in Japan, attacks a Yakuza human trafficking operation. This is observed by the young woman who will later become Lady Bullseye.

DD 300/3 FB et al - Daredevil fights Bullseye around Coney Island. Bullseye leaves a behind evidence of Matt Murdock's past: the identity of his father Battlin' Jack, his mother Sister Maggie, and pictures of Matt as a boy.

1985 4 - Bullseye is among the villains brought to another reality by Clyde Wyncham.

--------

The primary issue here is that between DD 200 and CA 372 is that Bullseye was in prison. While his breaking out and getting captured again between stories is in the realm of possibility, there are still better logical places for these flashback stories to go. One of these flashback tales also has a glaring continuity issue. Allow me to break it down:

DD2 111 - It doesn't make sense to me that this story would happen after DD 200. Not only because Lester was in jail but its just a logistical nightmare. Why leave Japan, break out of jail and then go back to Japan and then back to New York? It makes more sense to me that this story takes place between DD 199 and 200. issue 199 ends with Bullseye still in Japan and 200 begins with him arriving in New York. It makes more sense to me that Bullseye would have taken a mission in Japan while he was there to make sure he is in proper fighting form before returning to the state to tackle Daredevil.

DD 500/3 - This story cannot happen at this point in time for one particular fact alone: That Bullseye has a photo of Matt's mother as a nun. Murdock didn't learn that his mother was still alive and a nun until DD 230. In DD 500, Murdock recognizes the photo of Sister Maggie as his mother. This is something he could not have done prior to DD 230. As such, this flashback must happen sometime after the DD 230 revelation. My thoughts are that this would better fit between Bullseye's appearances in DD 380 and DD2 4. This is the only period where something like this would fit.

1985 4 - Could actually stay where it is. All the villains transported to Earth-1219 were brought there by Wyncham's reality altering powers and once the crisis was over everything was put back in its proper place neat as can be. This appearance would not be hampered by the fact that Bullseye was in jail at the time.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Re: Bullseye discrepancy

Post by StrayLamb »

Nausiated's suggested updates:

BULLSEYE/LESTER/"BENJAMIN POINDEXTER"
---
DD 198
DD 199
DD2 111-FB * MOVE TO HERE
DD 200
DD2 111-FB * MOVE FROM HERE
DD 500/3-FB * MOVE FROM HERE
DD 500/3 * MOVE FROM HERE

1985 4
CA 372
CA 373
---
DP3 16
DD 380-FB
DD 500/3-FB * MOVE TO HERE
DD 500/3 * MOVE TO HERE

DD2 4
DD2 5
---
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Yes, but where do these moves put Daredevil (and any other characters)? For instance, DD's placement of DD 500/3 is currently:

[...]
DD 206
IH2 293
DD 500/3-FB
DD 500/3
M/TU 140
[...]

"between Bullseye's appearances in DD 380 and DD2 4" means somewhere in here:

[...]
ASM 438
DD 380-FB
DD 380
DD 600/2 (5:1)-FB
DD2 1 (1 - 2)
NHAWK 1
NHAWK 2
NHAWK 3
A3 10
A3 11
ASM2 1
DD2 1 (3 - 22)
DD2 2
DD2 3
DD2 4
DD2 5
[...]
Nausiated
Hero
Hero

Post by Nausiated »

I haven't done a deep dive into Daredevil's history to around these periods. At a glance, I think the best fit would be immediately after DD #380. As that story features both a fight with Bullseye and a reunion with Sister Maggie. Daredevil is also wearing his red costume so the esthetics match. It gives Bullseye the opportunity to make the connection between the two for his information gathering to work. It's the least problematic place to put it since Daredevil is shown to be dealing with both Bullseye and his mother without a whole lot of other things going on.

Conversely, DD2 4 & 5 seems too busy for it to fit since that was in the middle of the Mysterio storyline where he was trying to push Daredevil over the edge. There is a lot of a lot going on and trying to cram DD 500/3 in there is just too messy.

But like I said, I haven't done a deep dive into Daredevil's history around this period to figure that out. I was just pointing out how the placement with Bullseye doesn't work. If you have any better suggestions please share.
Antonio Gaviño
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Antonio Gaviño »

While trying to find the best placement for DD 500/3 (and FB) I noticed that DD 380 is supposed to happen out of publication order at some point prior. That’s mentioned to be the case in two spots throughout the issue. First, in the double page spread recap behind the cover,
Now, a totally unrelated Daredevil tale from yesteryear.
and also, right before the story title on page 4,
As Matt Murdock recovers from his adventure in Paris, Stan Lee presents a tale from Daredevil‘a past.
Nobody seems to have noticed this for chronology purposes, as DD 380 is listed right after issue 379. Any thoughts on where it should fit?
Nausiated
Hero
Hero

Post by Nausiated »

Antonio Gaviño wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:21 am While trying to find the best placement for DD 500/3 (and FB) I noticed that DD 380 is supposed to happen out of publication order at some point prior. That’s mentioned to be the case in two spots throughout the issue. First, in the double page spread recap behind the cover,
Now, a totally unrelated Daredevil tale from yesteryear.
and also, right before the story title on page 4,
As Matt Murdock recovers from his adventure in Paris, Stan Lee presents a tale from Daredevil‘a past.
Nobody seems to have noticed this for chronology purposes, as DD 380 is listed right after issue 379. Any thoughts on where it should fit?
I completely missed this, but I was doing a quick scan of a digital edition of the issue which are bereft of "Your Guide to the Marvel Universe" inserts that were printed on the inside cover of issues from this era (Kinda wish Marvel would digitize those as well as they were always a great)

I took a look at the issue again and at the bottom of page 4 there is a footnote that reads
* Daredevil #376-379 -- Tim
However, none of the accompanying text on the page has an asterisks to note what this in reference to. I'm thinking that it is probably in reference to the statement you pointed out:
Perhaps someone forgot to put a corresponding asterisks there, or perhaps it just didn't look good stylistically having one there.

If the intention of the footnote was to tell readers where it fit then I think the intent was that this story takes place before DD 375 and 376. This would make sense, as 376-379 was the "Flying Blind" arc where Daredevil goes undercover in a convoluted tale that involves his eyesight being restored and being brainwashed, etc.

Also at the time, Marvel was about to relaunch Daredevil into a second volume, playing up the fact that they got Kevin Smith to do the series (remember when Kevin Smith doing a comic was a big deal? I feel old.) It looks to me that DD 380 was a filler story to fill the gap between the end of the first volume and the start of DD2.

Unless anyone has any better insights of Daredevil continuity, I don't see issue with slotting it between DD 375 and 376 (as I've said before, I was only looking at a glance because I was focusing on Bullseye, and I don't plan to really do any deep reads on DD for a while).
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Re the asterisk and footnote on page 4, this is how it reads:

"As Matt Murdock recovers from his adventure in Paris*, Stan Lee presents a tale from Daredevil's past."

"* Daredevil 376-370 - Tim"

There are several issues placed between DD 375 & 376..

---
DD 375
SMMM-FB
C 55
ASM/DDINO '98
DD2 8-FB
DD 379-FB-FB-OP

DD 376
DD 377
DD 378
DD 379-FB
DD 379
ASM 438
DD 380-FB
DD 380
---

It's by D.G. Chichester and Lee Weeks, so another possibility is at some point during Chichester's run, DD 292–309, 312–332, & 338–342. Lee Weeks was penciller on DD 292-300, but this story has to go after Matt & Foggy reopened their law practice, so after the DD 301-303 arc. Stylistically, it may be good to keep it close to the Lee Weeks issues.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Leoparis »

I agree on principle. The armor worn by DD in 380 could be a precursor to the costume he adopts in Fall From Grace (DD 321). The story could have been written by Chichester as a continuity insert explaining the new costume.

But how does it work for Kingpin? In DD 380 Kingpin explains he's no pauper and hires three assassins.
After his fall in DD 300 Kingpin is a vagrant in DD 307-309 and is still living on the streets, robbing people in DD 315.
So to give time to Kingpin to rise back, I place the story before the Fall From Grace Prologue (DD 319).

BULLSEYE/LESTER/"BENJAMIN POINDEXTER"
DD 290
DD 380-FB move here
P2 101
DP3 16
DD 380-FB move from here
DD2 4

BUSHWACKER/CARL BURBANK
PWJ 13
DD 380-FB move here
DD 334
EL 7-FB