Marcy Pearson appearance in FI:HF 1

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Nausiated
Hero
Hero

Marcy Pearson appearance in FI:HF 1

Post by Nausiated »

I've been doing research on Iron Man's supporting cast over the years and something about the character Marcy Pearson struck me as odd. Particularly her last appearance in FI:HF 1. It doesn't make sense to me.

For the uninitiated: Marcy was the head of Public Relations and later made VP of Stark Enterprises. All of her appearances are primarily rooted in the late 80s and early 90s Iron Man books between issues #217 and 306. In IM 284 she was fired by Jim Rhodes. Between that issue and her final appearance in that book, IM 306, Marcy was trying to get revenge against SE for firing her. She ended up getting manipulated by an artificial intelligence named VORTEX who assisted her in failed attempt to frame Jim Rhodes for Tony Stark's death (Tony faked his death at the time, long story) and later helped her hire a hacker to break into Stark's computer and leak damaging information to the media. When Tony found out that she was responsible for the hack, he tricked her into making a confession and got her arrested by the FBI.

I would argue that she was never seen again. However, it was decided that she appeared in FI:HF 1 and that doesn't make any sense to me. Hear me out:

The first story in that issue focuses on Speedball trying to redeem himself for the Stamford disaster/Civil War thing. At the beginning of the story, there is a news program called Two-in-One where Trish Tilby and a woman named Marcy Pearson are debating on if Speedball has redeemed himself or not.

What's made clear in this back and forth is that Tilby is everyone's favorite Beast-loving reporter that, as there a viewer comments that make reference to that. However, there is no such confirmation that Pearson is the same woman from the Iron Man comics. In fact, there is only one panel where you actually see her. However, if you actually took a look at the character you'll see one glaring problem:

Pearson circa IM 306

Pearson circa FI:HF 1 (She's on the woman on the right)

Marcy is a Black woman yet in the FI:HF 1 the woman is white. While characters have been incorrectly coloured in the past, I don't think that's the case here since, again, there is nothing else in this story that draw a connection from this Pearson woman and the one from the old Iron Man stories.

Any resources material about Pearson (The Official Index for Iron Man and a profile for her in the Iron Manual Mark 3) were all published before Fear Itself and given that she is not a prominent character anymore I doubt we'll ever get an official say on the matter any time soon.

However, when you take a look at it from a real world context it also doesn't make much sense:

When you consider federal hacking laws if convicted an individual could face up to 10 years in prison. The way the Marcy Pearson hacking plot is portrayed is that they FBI had her dead to rights and she is never heard from again. They never mention what happened to her after the fact, but my presumption is that she went to jail. Assuming she got the maximum sentence only five years in universe has passed between publications from 1993 and 2011.

Even if you were to assume that she got a reduced sentence afterwards, it's also kind of outlandish that Marcy would be able to land a job as a newscaster next to Trish Tilby given her criminal background. It seems unlikely to me that a television station would give an anchor job to someone guilty of a federal crime. I mean, it's not impossible, but it seems really unlikely to me.

Then there's the geography: Pearson was always situated in the Los Angeles area. While it's not impossible for her to move across country, I'd argue that adding prison time, being able to get a job in the media, and moving across the country (probably while on probation) would all be very difficult to accomplish in such a short period of time.

The other thing to bring up is how common the name Marcy Pearson is. While it's not quit as common, I did a quick internet search for women that have a variation of that name online (https://www.411.com/name/Marcy-Pearson? ... %20Pearson) and I found 26 matches and those were only people that are publicly listed. What I'm getting at is that while its somewhat unique there are many people who have that name. So the idea that two completely different people having the same exact name is a distinct probability.

No offense to the people who slotted the FI: HF1 to her appearances, but it looks to me that someone saw the familiar name and just assumed without really looking that deeply into it. It's kind of like assuming every guy appearance by a guy named Joe with no last name is the same guy.
Michael
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Marcy Pearson appearance in FI:HF 1

Post by Michael »

I'm skeptical of bringing real world logic into this. How many times in the Marvel Universe have we seen characters get ridiculously short sentences, get jobs they wouldn't be able to get with a felony conviction in real life and be allowed to move out of state while on parole or probation? it's possible Marcy was pardoned or something.
It's not just that she's named Marcy Pearson in FI:HF 1.-it's that she's a woman named Marcy Pearson with a job in MEDIA. That would have to be a pretty big coincidence if the writer didn't intend it.
I agree the coloring is an issue but black characters get miscolored as white all the time in comics. It happened to Turk so many times they had to say he has vitiligo.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Good research, Nausiated!

Two real-world stories, so make of them what you will. :lol:

Years ago, the police come to my house because Darren Jensen beat up his girlfriend at her workplace. They ask me when the last time I was at said place. Years ago when I was a child, why? They tell me the story and I point out that my girlfriend (at the time, now my wife) was standing next to me. They step back and talk to each other and I overhear the police tell each other that they guy they're looking for is a six foot tall read head, I'm 5'4" with brown hair, and the first name is spelled wrong. They decide we're two different people and leave.

Without naming names, a woman who ran conventions was convicted of fraud and sent to prison. In 2020 she was released early, I think because of Coronavirus. In 2021 she was hired to run conventions for a different company and genre, despite being previously convicted of fraud. She was arrested last year for fraud (again). My wife had a booth at that show, and it was a crazy thing to watch.

So in one case, two people with similar names but different appearances, not the same person.

In the other case, a person got a job in a similar field despite being sent to prison while working in that field.

And there it is!

Having said that, the writer was Christos Gage, right? He's pretty on top of his continuity. I'm leaning toward the writer intended it to be the same character and the colorist goofed. Was she released early? How did she get hired? Did she know the right people? Did they not do a background check on her? Who knows? (Christos Gage might know, probably. :wink: :lol: )
-Daron Jensen
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

She died her hair brown, and the studio lighting really washed out her complexion? :shrug:
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.