Another Wrecker discrepancy

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Nausiated
Hero
Hero

Another Wrecker discrepancy

Post by Nausiated »

I just seem to be having all the luck finding discrepancies in the Wrecker's chronology.
This one is little more straight forward than my last one.

It's regarding the placement of his appearance in M/DF:TSTRK 13/2 and M/DF:TSTRK 14/2. Presently, the chronology lists them as follows:

T 431
AF 118
AF 119
CA 411
CA 412
CA 413
CA 414-BTS
M/DF:TSTRK 13/2
M/DF:TSTRK 14/2
AUP 4

This doesn't make any sense as it doesn't fit with the other stories.

T 431 - The Wrecker is banished to another dimension by Loki after stripping him of his powers.

AF 118/119 - Wrecker reforms the Wrecking Crew and they find a new source for their powers. They are defeated by Alpha Flight. The Wrecker was rescued from the other dimension by Thunderball's Trans-Dimensional Power Siphon.

CA 411-414 - The Wrecking Crew are among the villains who attend the weapons expo at Boca Caliente.

M/DF:TSTRK 13/2 & 14/3: The Wrecker returns to Earth after his banishment from Earth. Tapping a new power source of power hunts down his father to try and kill him. He is opposed by both Code: Blue and Thor. After his father dies, the Wrecker loses his tenuous hold on reality and is sent back into dimensional exile.

AUP4 - The Wrecking Crew attend the wedding of Absorbing Man and Titania.

What seems obvious to me is that the writers of this story (Roy Thomas) didn't do his proper research and was unaware of the appearances in AF and CA, or chose to ignore it. Given how much of a stickler for continuity that Thomas is, it seems more likely something he overlooked.

Anyway, I was looking things up and there is a profile of the Wrecker in the 2015 Avengers NOW! handbook. It lists the events of M/DF:TSTRK 13 & 13 as taking place between T431 and AF 118.

Now if anyone has a keen eye for continuity, you'll note that M/DF:STRK stories focus on Code: Blue. Going through those stories you'll find that all the continuity in these stories match what was going on in other Marvel books at the time. The team references incidents that happened in the main Thunderstrike series. Thor is wearing that god awful costume Roy Thomas and M.C. Wyman gave him in 1994. Pushing the Wrecker's chronology in the way I suggested would not match with anyone else and fit with continuity.

It's my position that the change to the Wrecker's chronology doesn't change anyone else's.
Although the Avengers NOW! handbook doesn't implicitly state it, the fact that they placed the M/DF:TSTRK stories as happening between T 431 and AF 118 suggests to me that the Wrecker was in a dimension where time doesn't flow the same way.

M/DF:TSTRK states that the Wrecker tapped into some unknown power source that only allowed him to temporarily cross over in to the Earth dimension. On top of that, he struggled to maintain cohesion and didn't really know how to full control it. Perhaps not only did the Wrecker cross dimensions, but perhaps he also ended up a little bit in the future. Then when he was shunted back into the other dimension he was plucked out of there by Thunderball a bit in the past from the events of M/DF:TSTRK.

Being pulled forward in time makes this work. You explain away how M/DF:TSTRK doesn't mention AF 118-119 and CA 411-414, the Wrecker's personal chronology makes sense, and everyone else's chronology doesn't have to be moved around into spots that wouldn't work anyway given the other continuity at play in those Double Feature stories.

My proposed change would rearrange chronology as such:

T 431
M/DF:TSTRK 13/2
M/DF:TSTRK 14/2
AF 118
AF 119
CA 411
CA 412
CA 413
CA 414-BTS
AUP 4
Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Another Wrecker discrepancy

Post by Leoparis »

Nausiated wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:46 pm It's my position that the change to the Wrecker's chronology doesn't change anyone else's.
Although the Avengers NOW! handbook doesn't implicitly state it, the fact that they placed the M/DF:TSTRK stories as happening between T 431 and AF 118 suggests to me that the Wrecker was in a dimension where time doesn't flow the same way.

M/DF:TSTRK states that the Wrecker tapped into some unknown power source that only allowed him to temporarily cross over in to the Earth dimension. On top of that, he struggled to maintain cohesion and didn't really know how to full control it. Perhaps not only did the Wrecker cross dimensions, but perhaps he also ended up a little bit in the future. Then when he was shunted back into the other dimension he was plucked out of there by Thunderball a bit in the past from the events of M/DF:TSTRK.

Being pulled forward in time makes this work. You explain away how M/DF:TSTRK doesn't mention AF 118-119 and CA 411-414, the Wrecker's personal chronology makes sense, and everyone else's chronology doesn't have to be moved around into spots that wouldn't work anyway given the other continuity at play in those Double Feature stories.

My proposed change would rearrange chronology as such:

T 431 Apr 1991
M/DF:TSTRK 13/2 Oct 1994
M/DF:TSTRK 14/2 Nov 1994
AF 118 Mar 1993
AF 119 Apr 1993
CA 411 Jan 1993
CA 412 Feb 1993
CA 413 Mar 1993
CA 414-BTS Apr 1993
AUP 4 Apr 1996
You've got the Avengers Now! Handbook vouching for your proposal. (I checked it and it does place M/DF:TSTRK 13/2 and 14/2 between T 431 and AF 118 so it's rather explicit but maybe that's what you meant with the odd phrasing "doesn't implicitly state it".) It's obvious no other reading is possible than a time-displaced Wrecker even if I normally strain to avoid that solution.

Darron Jensen and Paul Bourcier were writers for the handbook but that Wrecker entry must have been written by another writer.