Incredible Hulk 1 and Tales to Astonish 35

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Incredible Hulk 1 and Tales to Astonish 35

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

It is quite obvious from the drawings that the soviet leader who appears in these issues is Nikita Khrushchev. In IH 1, the Gargoyle has a picture of him on the wall and tells to the picture that it was because of him that he became the Gargoyle. And in TTA 35, he looks exactly the same as the real life soviet leader. I would make these changes in his listing:

KHRUSHCHEV, NIKITA
[...]
FF 271-FB
IH 1-BTS --> (add)
{TTA 35} --> (add)
TOS 41 --> (modify, no longer the first)
TOS 46-FB
[...]
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Incredible Hulk 1 and Tales to Astonish 35

Post by Russ Chappell »

RobinHoodMtl wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:47 pm
KHRUSHCHEV, NIKITA
[...]
IH 1-BTS --> (add)
[...]
What's the nature of the behind-the-scenes appearance. Unless it's something more than what you've described, it doesn't qualify as BTS.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

Russ Chappell wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:37 pm What's the nature of the behind-the-scenes appearance. Unless it's something more than what you've described, it doesn't qualify as BTS.
On pg 23, after Topolov was cured by Banner from being the Gargoyle, he turns to the Khrushchev portrait and says: "It was because of you I became what I was! Because I worked on your secret bomb tests. Then on the next page, an officer speaks on the phone with Comrade K and when another officer comes in to announce that the prisoners have escaped, he says: "How dare you interrupt when I'm speaking to the Premier?"

Although it is not implicit that the Gargoyle acted on a direct order from him during IH 1, it is clear that the Comrade K whom the officer called is Khrushchev, who was the Soviet Premier at the time. Is that enough to qualify?
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Unless he's also speaking on a phone to the Premier, then no. Simply talking to a picture of a character doesn't warrant a BTS appearance. He may say that he's speaking to the Premier, but that just shows his mental instability. He's talking to himself.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

An officer does speak on the phone with "Comrade
K" though, just not Topolov, right?
-Daron Jensen
RobinHoodMtl
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by RobinHoodMtl »

RobinHoodMtl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:47 pmThen on the next page, an officer speaks on the phone with Comrade K and when another officer comes in to announce that the prisoners have escaped, he says: "How dare you interrupt when I'm speaking to the Premier?"
Col_Fury wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:31 pm An officer does speak on the phone with "Comrade
K" though, just not Topolov, right?
Right. Topolov was talking to the picture, but the officer was speaking to Comrade X on the phone. Sorry if I was not clear enough. :wink: