Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Leoparis
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Early Banner

Post by Leoparis »

Three points

1. Banner's aunt is indexed as Susan Drake Banner. She's named Mrs. Drake in IH2 312 and IH3 78. In IH2 312 she says Bruce's mother was her sister. Her mailbox when she takes mail for Bruce in IH3 79 says "Banner" so it is ambiguous whether she set up a mailbox for Bruce or she used the Banner name herself. The headmaster addresses her as Miss Banner in IH3 78. Ross addresses her as Susan Banner in IH3 81.

Is she used the Banner name as Miss and Drake as Mrs., then she would be Susan Banner Drake.

It seems to me Mantlo intended her to be Rebecca's sister and Peter David, Brian's sister.

Shouldn't she be indexed as Susan Banner Drake? From the flashbacks involved she went from Mrs Drake to Miss Banner, implying Drake was her married name and she returned to her maiden name.

BANNER, SUSAN DRAKE --> DRAKE, SUSAN BANNER

2. She appears in flashback on pages 4-5 of IH2 79 and Bruce on page 6 but surely we would want readers to read pages 4-5, which deal with his father Brian trying to reach him. I suggest to index the flashback segment as (4 - 6) since it all happens concurrently. Note in the same spirit that Bruce has been indexed for IH3 78 (15 - 16)-FB but he's not actually there, rather he's BTS as the reason the headmaster wanted to see his aunt. He's also the reason Ross pays visit to his aunt page 17 of IH3 81 and Ross is the agent who intervened to get Bruce off jail. These flashback pages are essential to the sequence of continuous flashbacks from 77 to 81.

HULK/DR. ROBERT BRUCE BANNER
IH3 78 (10 - 11)-FB
**IH3 78 (15 - 16)-BTS-FB (add BTS)
**IH3 79 (4 - 6)-FB extend the flashback sequence from page 4 to 6
IH3 79 (13 - 14)-FB
IH3 81 (8 - 10)-FB
**IH3 81 (17)-BTS-FB (add line)
H3 1-FB

3. H5 10 (aka IH2 777) added two childhood flashbacks:

HULK/DR. ROBERT BRUCE BANNER
IH3 13 (17:4 - 17:6)-FB
*IH2 777-FB-FB (or H5 10-FB-FB) add here
IH2 377 (8:2 - 8:3)-FB
IH2 377 (10:2 - 11:2)-FB
*IH2 777-FB (or H5 10-FB) add here
IH2 403 (15:6 - 16)-FB

BANNER, REBECCA
IH3 13-FB-BTS
*IH2 777-FB-FB (or H5 10-FB-FB) add here
IH2 377 (8:2 - 8:3)-FB
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Early Banner

Post by ShadZ »

If you are suggesting she was born Susan Banner, then became Susan Banner Drake (or maybe just Susan Drake -- do we have proof she moved her maiden name to her middle name while married? Some women do, and some don't) when she married, and then became Susan Banner again when she divorced -- which I agree with -- then It seem to me we should be listing her as BANNER, SUSAN/SUSAN DRAKE. The Drake name was temporary.
ShadZ
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Early Banner

Post by Russ Chappell »

ShadZ wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:39 am do we have proof she moved her maiden name to her middle name while married?
We don't need proof that she did that; it's our standard naming format. From the Style Book:
Characters without codename:
LASTNAME, HONORIFIC FIRSTNAME MIDDLENAMES MAIDENNAME PREVIOUSLASTNAME SUFFIX (nee BIRTHNAME) ENUMERATION /"ALTERNATENAME"/... | REALITYID [DISAMBIGUATION]
This doesn't imply that the character dropped their middle name; we just don't know the middle name.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe