Bug Problem March 2021

All the text on one page suddenly showing up bold? Bad links? Titles missing from the Key? Let us know here.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Bug Problem March 2021

Post by Midnighter »

There is something wrong with the links in this topic. It is probably due to the forum software update: when you open them, you totally lose any formatting of the phpBB theme. Maybe it's because the links are http and not https?
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Index of Chronologies

Post by Russ Chappell »

Looks like it's a little more than that. It appears that links have to include not only the "s", but "www". In other words, the full link, no shortcuts.

Links have to start with: "https://www.chronologyproject.com/"

I'll look into that.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Hmmm.... struggling with this.

I've successfully added statements to the htaccess file for phpbb and forced the secure setting (adding the "s" to http), but after trying several options for forcing the www, I'm coming up empty.

Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Russ Chappell wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:13 pm Hmmm.... struggling with this.

I've successfully added statements to the htaccess file for phpbb and forced the secure setting (adding the "s" to http), but after trying several options for forcing the www, I'm coming up empty.
Well, this is another thing which does not affect Prosilver. I think you need to rebuild the Chronology theme from the new Prosilver rather than trying to patch the old one. (Before I checked this and realised, I was going to suggest forcing an absolute rather than relative URL for the CSS <link>s in the header, but...)
Attachments
MCP-nonwwwCSSchronology.png
MCP-nonwwwCSSchronology.png (70.81 KiB) Viewed 23194 times
MCP-nonwwwCSSprosilver.png
MCP-nonwwwCSSprosilver.png (68.53 KiB) Viewed 23196 times
wolverine7230
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by wolverine7230 »

Indeed, I'm now stuck with the entire forum site in that weird state, and am unable even to access the user control panel to revert back to the other theme!
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Somebody wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:08 pm Well, this is another thing which does not affect Prosilver. I think you need to rebuild the Chronology theme from the new Prosilver rather than trying to patch the old one. (Before I checked this and realised, I was going to suggest forcing an absolute rather than relative URL for the CSS <link>s in the header, but...)
Somebody, thank you for the insight, but Chronology is not a patched theme. It is a child of Prosilver. It only contains 4 files, all of which are necessary for customization.

1. style.cfg
change made to identify the name of the style.
The parent is Prosilver (no change needed, because the parent of Prosilver is also Prosilver)

2. colours.css
change made to the html body element to display and position the background image (cover of FF@ 2)

3. overallheader.html
change made to add a link to the site name, to point to the home page

4. overallfooter.html
change made to add the navigational links to bottom of every page, to point to every page on the site

The images directory contains two files: one is an added file (the background image), the other is a replaced file (replaces the php logo with the site logo).

That's it. Those are the only files in the Chronology theme. The forum inherits all other files, images and styles from Prosilver. And all of the four edited files are the 3.3.3 versions of Prosilver.

Chronology is not a "patched" theme. The old Chronology theme doesn't exist anymore.

Your experimentation has pointed out that since Prosilver doesn't have this problem, the problem most reasonably lies in the Chronology template, but you do me a disservice when you accuse me of simply dropping an old version of the template into phpbb.

(Now there's also a problem with only one of the two unread icons showing up on the topics view page, but I'm not as concerned with that one, since it's mostly cosmetic.)

I've completely disabled the Chronology theme, until these issues can be worked out. This means we lose the navigation links at the bottom of the pages, but...

Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Russ Chappell wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:02 pm Your experimentation has pointed out that since Prosilver doesn't have this problem, the problem most reasonably lies in the Chronology template, but you do me a disservice when you accuse me of simply dropping an old version of the template into phpbb.
Sorry, I get some of my exercise from jumping to conclusions Image :outtahere:
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

We're cool. I'm a little testy right now. We're having to go through a lot of changes right now--that I didn't ask for; they were thrust upon me. And I'm having to juggle a lot of problems that are cropping up because of it. Didn't mean to come off as snippy. (00L

StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

wolverine7230 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:10 pm Indeed, I'm now stuck with the entire forum site in that weird state, and am unable even to access the user control panel to revert back to the other theme!
Somehow the top two topics have become merged as well.

I managed to revert back to Prosilver by re-installing Google Chrome. Prosilver seems to be the default setting.

Good luck, Russ! I'm sure you'll conquer it. :yepp:
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.