DEATH OF DR STRANGE to AXE: JUDGMENT DAY

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: KING IN BLACK to AXE: JUDGMENT DAY

Post by Midnighter »

Watch out for The Variants: in the course of the story Matt Murdock operates as a lawyer, I think it should be placed before Daredevil's arrest and therefore before King in Black.
But at the same time She-Hulk appears "normal," like after Avengers 50.
We have some time reference: we know it takes place 10 years after Jessica's imprisonment by Killgrave, which is 10 years after ALIAS 25-FB, and three and a half years after Dani's birth in PULSE 13.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Yep, The Variants will probably have to go in the Empyre to King in Black section. It has to happen between Purple Daughter and Devil's Reign for Killgrave, and before DD's incarcerated, so before Daredevil 19-25. Purple Daughter really has to go after She-Hulk took on her bulky form, so there's really nowhere during this time that She-Hulk can appear as she does in The Variants, so we'll have to put that down to an art error. Dani turned 2 years old in Purple Daughter, 13 years after she was born in The Pulse 13. Placing The Variants just after Empyre is nearly 4 years later in publication time time, but we can't really place much faith in that. I think they're trying to play catch-up with her age.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
DotStinks
Henchman
Henchman

Post by DotStinks »

StrayLamb wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:34 am Amazing Spider-Man 88.BEY [Hobie Brown as Hornet, Dusk, Ricochet appear]
Amazing Spider-Man 87-FB [Black Cat and Steve Rogers help Peter retrain over two weeks (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays as per ASM 89)]
Amazing Spider-Man 86
Amazing Spider-Man 87 (4 - 19)
Mary Jane & Black Cat: Beyond 1 [Parker Robbins, Count Nefaria, Mr Fear, Rhino, the Enforcers, Armadillo, Shocker, Tombstone appear]
Amazing Spider-Man 87 (20)
Amazing Spider-Man 88-89
Amazing Spider-Man 91 (1 - 5)-FB
Amazing Spider-Man 90-91
Amazing Spider-Man 92 (1 - 11)
Amazing Spider-Man 92.BEY (6 - 20)-FB [Monica Rambeau & Aaron Stack]
Amazing Spider-Man 92 (12 - 20)
Amazing Spider-Man 92.BEY (1 - 5)
Amazing Spider-Man 92.BEY (21 - 27)
Amazing Spider-Man 93 (1 - 29) [Late March]
Amazing Spider-Man 92.BEY (28 - 30)
Amazing Spider-Man 93 (32 - 34)-FB
Amazing Spider-Man 93 (30 - 31) [Days later]
---
Amazing Spider-Man 93 (35 - 37) [Weeks later; Late April?]
---
Amazing Spider-Man 93 (38 - 40) [Months later. Late Spring]
Amazing Spider-Man 14 (1 - 4) [Spring]
To help, ASM6 1-8 (which you should designate since vol. 5 60-93 is in here) seem to occur in October, six months after the Peter & MJ epilogue in ASM5 93, only weeks after the main story. Could be early April.

ASM6 1-5 occur in a short period, there are January dates on Pete's phone while he was missing but those are just wrong, rain; it references Devil's Reign. ASM6 6 is not that long after that, and happens on Peter's birthday (October 14 if you're choosing to believe that). ASM6 7-8 are...somewhere, and the Oscorp suit is used.
By the way, DD7 1-4 (which have green trees & rain) absolutely has to be during ASM5 93, because of Spider-Man being Peter and being shortly (okay, not that shortly) after Devil's Reign. As of me writing this, it's the final time Daredevil can be in New York City while wearing his red costume.

ASM6 14 has segments in spring & summer, when Peter has already disappeared.

So:
Amazing Spider-Man 93 (1 - 29) [Late March]
Amazing Spider-Man 92.BEY (28 - 30)
Amazing Spider-Man 93 (32 - 34)-FB
Amazing Spider-Man 93 (30 - 31) [Days later]
Daredevil 1/2 [Winter in Asia]
Daredevil 1-4 [Spider-Man appears]

---
Amazing Spider-Man 93 (35 - 37) [Weeks later; Early April]
Amazing Spider-Man 21 (6 - 22)-FB [One year earlier]
Amazing Spider-Man 22 (3 - 20)-FB
Amazing Spider-Man 1 (1 - 2)
Amazing Spider-Man 23-24 [Fantastic Four & Ms. Marvel appear]
Amazing Spider-Man 25 (1 - 33)
Amazing Spider-Man 25 (34:4)-FB
Amazing Spider-Man 26 (8 - 9)-FB

---
Amazing Spider-Man 93 (38 - 40) [Months later; Late Spring]
Amazing Spider-Man 14 (1 - 8) [Late Spring]
---
Amazing Spider-Man 26 (1)-FB [Nine months ago; June/July]
Amazing Spider-Man 14 (9 - 10) [Summer]

---
Amazing Spider-Man 1 (3 - ?) [Early October]
Amazing Spider-Man 2-5
Amazing Spider-Man 6 [October 14]
Amazing Spider-Man 6/2-6/3
Amazing Fantasy 1000/7
Amazing Spider-Man 7-8

Edit: ASM5 60 is shortly after Last Remains & Negative Space, so it can probably go in at the top of this list.
Hulk 1 features Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Jason Aaron-era Avengers (with She-Hulk), and Doctor Strange.
Last edited by DotStinks on Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
~ Dot
DotStinks
Henchman
Henchman

Post by DotStinks »

StrayLamb wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:16 am Yep, The Variants will probably have to go in the Empyre to King in Black section. It has to happen between Purple Daughter and Devil's Reign for Killgrave, and before DD's incarcerated, so before Daredevil 19-25. Purple Daughter really has to go after She-Hulk took on her bulky form, so there's really nowhere during this time that She-Hulk can appear as she does in The Variants, so we'll have to put that down to an art error. Dani turned 2 years old in Purple Daughter, 13 years after she was born in The Pulse 13. Placing The Variants just after Empyre is nearly 4 years later in publication time time, but we can't really place much faith in that. I think they're trying to play catch-up with her age.
Even further, Matt Murdock is not Daredevil and using his costume during DD6 6-20, and as you mentioned, it can't fit in with DD6 19-25 either, so...
~ Dot
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

DotStinks wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:34 pm To help, ASM6 1-8 (which you should designate since vol. 5 60-93 is in here) seem to occur in October, six months after the Peter & MJ epilogue in ASM5 93, only weeks after the main story. Could be early April.

ASM6 1-5 occur in a short period, there are January dates on Pete's phone while he was missing but those are just wrong, rain; it references Devil's Reign. ASM6 6 is not that long after that, and happens on Peter's birthday (October 14 if you're choosing to believe that). ASM6 7-8 are...somewhere, and the Oscorp suit is used.
By the way, DD7 1-4 (which have green trees & rain) absolutely has to be during ASM5 93, because of Spider-Man being Peter and being shortly (okay, not that shortly) after Devil's Reign. As of me writing this, it's the final time Daredevil can be in New York City while wearing his red costume.

ASM6 14 has segments in spring & summer, when Peter has already disappeared.
Thanks Dot, added into above list. :thumbsup:
DotStinks wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:34 pm ASM6 1-8 (which you should designate since vol. 5 60-93 is in here)
Meh, you worked it out didn't you? I like to easily see which comics are listed, and not have to get my head around codes. It's fine when it's ASM5, although i sometimes even get a bit lost on which volume is which, but i have trouble deciphering BLKSTNMD, for instance. I like to keep it simple. We can go thru and code everything later. It should be pretty clear from the era we're dealing with here, which volumes we're listing. Maybe? I thought about using legacy numbering. Anyway, you guys will work it out.
DotStinks wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:36 pm
StrayLamb wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:16 am Yep, The Variants will probably have to go in the Empyre to King in Black section. It has to happen between Purple Daughter and Devil's Reign for Killgrave, and before DD's incarcerated, so before Daredevil 19-25. Purple Daughter really has to go after She-Hulk took on her bulky form, so there's really nowhere during this time that She-Hulk can appear as she does in The Variants, so we'll have to put that down to an art error. Dani turned 2 years old in Purple Daughter, 13 years after she was born in The Pulse 13. Placing The Variants just after Empyre is nearly 4 years later in publication time time, but we can't really place much faith in that. I think they're trying to play catch-up with her age.
Even further, Matt Murdock is not Daredevil and using his costume during DD6 6-20, and as you mentioned, it can't fit in with DD6 19-25 either, so...
The Variants is a strange animal. Phil Noto's somewhat stylized art is perfect for drawing lots of Jessicas, since all of his female characters tend to look alike anyway - just change the wig. That also makes it easy to forgive She-Hulk if we need to. There's a comment from one of the Jessicas in issue 2 that she thought Daredevil was a woman now, and Elektra took over from Matt in DD6? 25. It doesn't really make any sense anywhere. I'll have to leave placement of The Variants for people with bigger brains than mine.
Out in the Land Down-Under, beneath a rocky outcrop, deep within the back paddock, dwells the Stray Lamb.
DotStinks
Henchman
Henchman

Post by DotStinks »

StrayLamb wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:45 pm
DotStinks wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:34 pm ASM6 1-8 (which you should designate since vol. 5 60-93 is in here)
Meh, you worked it out didn't you? I like to easily see which comics are listed, and not have to get my head around codes. It's fine when it's ASM5, although i sometimes even get a bit lost on which volume is which, but i have trouble deciphering BLKSTNMD, for instance. I like to keep it simple. We can go thru and code everything later. It should be pretty clear from the era we're dealing with here, which volumes we're listing. Maybe? I thought about using legacy numbering. Anyway, you guys will work it out.
Yeah, that's fine. I only pointed it out since there's two volumes of ASM (and DD) that fit in this section.

Meanwhile, I'm figuring out Spidey's chronology from post-Beyond to now :willynilly:
~ Dot
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Actually, i think there may be a possibility for the placement of The Variants here, during the one week gap between pages 13 & 14 of Daredevil 36, after Matt is released from prison, and before Devil's Reign. He should have a beard, though. Maybe if we placed it immediately after DD 36 (13), he could shave, appear in The Variants, and quickly grow his beard back before Daredevil 36 (14). Stranger things have happened, like getting stuck for a few weeks in a time-space anomaly. :wink:
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

StrayLamb wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:49 am Actually, i think there may be a possibility for the placement of The Variants here, during the one week gap between pages 13 & 14 of Daredevil 36, after Matt is released from prison, and before Devil's Reign. He should have a beard, though. Maybe if we placed it immediately after DD 36 (13), he could shave, appear in The Variants, and quickly grow his beard back before Daredevil 36 (14). Stranger things have happened, like getting stuck for a few weeks in a time-space anomaly. :wink:
In this period, Mike Murdock is acting as Matt, so Matt could not operate as a lawyer in Killgrave's case.
I don't know if this is feasible given how much earlier it came out, but the alternative would be to place The Variants after the conclusion of Zdarsky's run (which will end in two months).
In Daredevil & Echo 1, which definitely takes place after the end of Avengers Assemble since Maya is no longer an host for the Phoenix and thus should also take place after Zdarsky's run, we saw that Matt will return to a sort of status quo as far as his role as Daredevil is concerned (clean shaven, classic costume, protector of Hell's Kitchen), but still accompanied by Elektra as another Daredevil (and this would explain the commentary on The Variants). There was no indication, however, about his role as Matt Murdock, who in theory should be presumed dead after Devil's Reign, so we have to wait...
In the serial devoted to Iron Fist's Pei on Marvel's Voices Unlimited, we saw that even after being appointed mayor, Mr and Mrs Cage maintained the same lifestyle they had before, so The Variants could also take place after Luke's election.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Midnighter wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:25 am In this period, Mike Murdock is acting as Matt, so Matt could not operate as a lawyer in Killgrave's case.
Well yeah, there's that.
Midnighter wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:25 amI don't know if this is feasible given how much earlier it came out, but the alternative would be to place The Variants after the conclusion of Zdarsky's run (which will end in two months).

In Daredevil & Echo 1, which definitely takes place after the end of Avengers Assemble since Maya is no longer an host for the Phoenix and thus should also take place after Zdarsky's run, we saw that Matt will return to a sort of status quo as far as his role as Daredevil is concerned (clean shaven, classic costume, protector of Hell's Kitchen), but still accompanied by Elektra as another Daredevil (and this would explain the commentary on The Variants). There was no indication, however, about his role as Matt Murdock, who in theory should be presumed dead after Devil's Reign, so we have to wait...
In the serial devoted to Iron Fist's Pei on Marvel's Voices Unlimited, we saw that even after being appointed mayor, Mr and Mrs Cage maintained the same lifestyle they had before, so The Variants could also take place after Luke's election.
Yep, waiting to see if we can place it after AXE: Judgment Day might be the way to go.
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

DotStinks wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:46 amCrypt of Shadows 1/? [Johnny] (this can take place anywhere)
Crypt of Shadows 1 (framing story) takes place on Halloween, after the Death of Dr Strange, so i have placed that near Judgment Day for the nonce. The stories that Victor Strange tells all occur on Halloween, but don't have to be the same Halloween. They can be from whatever previous Halloweens work for the characters involved.
DotStinks
Henchman
Henchman

Post by DotStinks »

Bringing back the Variants discussion, Daredevil 14 takes place six months after the previous issue, and features Reed Richards (laying low? It doesn't contradict the Ryan North F4 run). Elektra is still operating as Daredevil.

Matt Murdock spends the issue as a priest, is basically mind wiped, and barely anyone knows he's still alive. So it looks like Variants has to occur later.
~ Dot
StrayLamb
Director
Director

Post by StrayLamb »

Avengers Forever 1-5 added.

She-Hulk 14-15 added, completing this series. She-Hulk 10 (13 - 20) has been moved up the list, as Jack appears to have been back for three months in #11.

X-Cellent 1-5 added, with flashbacks over a 4 week period filtered thru.

Excalibur 24-26 and X-Men 9-10 added.
Spurs91
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Spurs91 »

Have now read up to/including Devil's Reign. 2 notes on that:

Iron Fist is seen being arrested. No noticeable glow from his hands when fighting, so IF: Heart of the Dragon could possibly come before DR.

One of the issues of the main DR series has a note pointing (back) to Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter, which as far as I can tell is not listed in any of the chronologies here. Googling tells me the whole thing was out at about the time of War of the Realms #1, so preliminary placement would be in Secret Empire to WotR.
Spurs91
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Spurs91 »

Working through that last (for now) volume of Punisher at the moment. First arc is issues 1-9, and at the end of 9 a small group of heroes meet to discuss the Frank problem. They include Doctor Strange. His third eye is prominent - don't know if that's a post death-and-return thing or just an artistic choice here, but this whole volume may have to be after A.X.E. The issues were also still coming in 2023, so there's that as well.

Looking at the post-KiB timeline now, we have that ending on "Day 8" and SWORD #7 on Day 16. Then SWORD #8, in the general 'non-X' list has ONLY the end of Avengers 45 before it. Was there really nothing else that could be put in those 8+ days? That's like 3 months of comics with current decompression. I guess if SWORD 8 can move lower then the upper part of the non-X list can be in those 2 weeks?
Spurs91
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Spurs91 »

I think Hulk 1-6 will have to go later, unless we say the end of #6 has him drifting in the bleed for a long time (or time works differently). Ends with remade Mjolnir flying toward Hulk, leading straight into Hulk vs Thor - Banner of War, after Thor 24 and the 4 month skip.

Banner of War Alpha
Thor 25
Hulk 7
Thor 26
Hulk 8

Things to note:
Thor 24 seemed like a cliffhanger ending, but it's not addressed in this arc (or the next, from the ad at the end of these issues).
Namor is at a meeting with the Avengers (in the mountain) discussing Hulk.
Sam Wilson is in Captain America mode.
Spidey doesn't have the over-sized spider logo Ben uses.
We see the events of El Paso, from after Immortal Hulk and before this volume, BUT Bruce is reliving them in the mind palace (he watches himself walk in), so it's still 'now' in this story (this is in Thor 25).
Thor 25 has a second story set after Thor 402 (Enchantress is lamenting the loss of Lorelei & Skurge. Odin appears, but no Thor).
And a 3rd story based on original Norse myth (outside of remit - it has Mjolnir that has no worthiness enchantment).
Iron Man is heavily involved in the altered Celestial he piloted in King In Black.

The Bifrost is smashed.
Thor tells the Avengers that Hulk/Banner is dead.