Foreign Produced Marvel Comics Original Stories

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Giant Ant
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Foreign Produced Marvel Comics Original Stories

Post by Giant Ant »

loki wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:01 am
I always figured they'd republish it in other European countries - heck, I see that some of the new Spider-Man stories from the U.K.'s Spectacular Spider-Man got reprinted in Italy, and since Disney banned new material being produced in the U.K. in 2011 Panini has often re-used the material they produced prior to that in other publications, which can cause confusion for those hunting for new material.

(...)

Sounds like I need to amend that bit too, though I'd prefer to do so only once I can confirm details of what got published where first.
I also have a bunch of French reprints of UK's Spectacular Spider-Man stories, so yeah, Panini re-uses their material in various countries.

The dates I gave for the Spanish Conan are the ones written in the magazines («next issue on sale in December» for example). I just bought a bunch of the French so maybe I'll be able to narrow down the publishing timelime. Plus, being French Canadian, they'll be much easier to read for me than the Spanish ones!
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Giant Ant wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:51 pm
loki wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:01 am
I always figured they'd republish it in other European countries - heck, I see that some of the new Spider-Man stories from the U.K.'s Spectacular Spider-Man got reprinted in Italy, and since Disney banned new material being produced in the U.K. in 2011 Panini has often re-used the material they produced prior to that in other publications, which can cause confusion for those hunting for new material.

(...)

Sounds like I need to amend that bit too, though I'd prefer to do so only once I can confirm details of what got published where first.
I also have a bunch of French reprints of UK's Spectacular Spider-Man stories, so yeah, Panini re-uses their material in various countries.

The dates I gave for the Spanish Conan are the ones written in the magazines («next issue on sale in December» for example). I just bought a bunch of the French so maybe I'll be able to narrow down the publishing timelime. Plus, being French Canadian, they'll be much easier to read for me than the Spanish ones!
If you manage to do so, please do let me know. I'm happy to amend the relevant pages once I know for sure what's what.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Didn't DH: The Body in Question come out *during* the serialisation in Strip - and, indeed, fairly early on, maybe with only a chapter or two published as a serial? I'm sure we found that out a few years ago during the last time we did a DH overhaul.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Somebody wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:40 am Didn't DH: The Body in Question come out *during* the serialisation in Strip - and, indeed, fairly early on, maybe with only a chapter or two published as a serial? I'm sure we found that out a few years ago during the last time we did a DH overhaul.
Strip#18 and 19 have identical adverts for the Genghis Grimtoad and Death's Head: Body in Question graphic novels, stating "Coming Soon from Marvel" Strip#20, the final issue that also carries the last part of BiQ, has a contest to win the DH TPB and Body in Question, and the contents page lists the competition with the text "Two Death's Heads trade paperbacks are on sale in the shops at the moment."

Additionally, Marvel Age#94 lists the Genghis Grimtoad GN as shipping the same date as Strip#18. The Coming Attractions section lists as far as the last week of October, when Strip#19 comes out, and doesn't mention the BiQ GN. I've checked back as far as MA#85, which is the one that lists Strip#1, and no BiQ GN, so unless it got released prior to the very first issue it had to be released after #19. Frustratingly, MA#94 was the last one to list the Coming Attractions, so I can't confirm the exact date, but given Strip#20 was released the second week of November then BiQ can at best have come out a week earlier (which also incidentally means that places like comics.org, which claim it came out October 1990 are presumably wrong, since MA#94 covers everything being shipped in that month), and given the text in Strip#20's contents page, I'd say at most a week later.
Giant Ant
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Giant Ant »

You might also want to note that, from the UK, Marvel Heroes #33 was reprinted in the US (in the Death's Head TPB)
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Loving this research!!! Do the Columbian comics Cazador vol. 4 #22-24 (Sep to Nov 1996) count? The Marvel appearances seem more extensive than, say, in the Brazilian Judoka issue. The same goes for some Marvel appearances in India and Indonesia. Is the reason for their lack of inclusion the flagrant disregard for copyright? If so, I'm wondering if that's an inconsistency, since I doubt the Turkish publisher had DC's permission to use Superman in a Conan story. I would think these stories, copyright confusion aside, are interesting enough to at least be mentioned.

How about an honorable mention for the Spider-Man newspaper strip from Mexico?
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Oh, and don't forget LA Legge del West for Italy. https://www.chronologyproject.com/phpbb ... hp?t=13303
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Giant Ant wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:52 pm You might also want to note that, from the UK, Marvel Heroes #33 was reprinted in the US (in the Death's Head TPB)
Valid. I'll add that note.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

vanhornluke wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:04 am Loving this research!!! Do the Columbian comics Cazador vol. 4 #22-24 (Sep to Nov 1996) count? The Marvel appearances seem more extensive than, say, in the Brazilian Judoka issue. The same goes for some Marvel appearances in India and Indonesia. Is the reason for their lack of inclusion the flagrant disregard for copyright? If so, I'm wondering if that's an inconsistency, since I doubt the Turkish publisher had DC's permission to use Superman in a Conan story. I would think these stories, copyright confusion aside, are interesting enough to at least be mentioned.

How about an honorable mention for the Spider-Man newspaper strip from Mexico?
I was aware of some of the Cazador appearances, but left them out for the same reason I left out Spider-Man appearing in India's Nagraj comic - no sort of authorization from Marvel to use their characters. I was already being fairly liberal with allowing in stories produced by licensors who (probably) didn't have the right to make new tales, and by Marvel creators working producing unofficial new tales of the characters they'd worked on officially (and often created). My concern was that if I open the doors to literally any comic that has used a Marvel character the lists would never end. I left out Spider-Man, Captain America, etc. all appearing in Tornado's Captain Klep strip for the same reason.
https://spiderfan.org/title/comics/tornado.html
As I noted on the main introductory page to the lists:
"I've included new stories where the licensee had permission to produce original material. I've also included cases where the licensee only had permission to reprint stories, not make their own new ones, but did the latter anyway, as these still carry a level of "official" status. I've generally not included cases where someone used Marvel characters without any license, permission or authorization whatsoever, but there are exceptions to that rule, generally because I find the tale noteworthy or interesting in some capacity - e.g. while unofficial it was done with the involvement or permission of a creator associated with the Marvel character."

As you say, the Turkish Conan strip almost certainly didn't have DC's permission to use Superman; the reason it does warrant inclusion is because they had permission to use Conan, who was licensed to Marvel at the time.

All that said, I suppose I might add a mention of these other appearances, but not full entries. And then pray that doesn't open a floodgate to too many additional appearances.

As for the Mexican newspaper strip for Spider-Man, yes, that might well be worth a mention, and definitely if they had the license. Please tell me more.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

vanhornluke wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:55 pm Oh, and don't forget LA Legge del West for Italy. https://www.chronologyproject.com/phpbb ... hp?t=13303
Thanks! I wasn't aware of this one - definitely one to add!
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

I wish I knew more about the Mexican newspaper strips. All I've found are the little bit at https://gizmodo.com/idw-s-president-wan ... 1836223985 and https://twitter.com/chris_ryall/status/ ... 8851261440
Giant Ant
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Giant Ant »

How about stories produced for the Canadian market and distributed only in Canada?
The ones I know of are

Wolverine : Son Of Canada (a Doritos giveaway, also published in french in Québec as Wolverine : Fils du Canada)

and the 5 issue Spider-Man LS produced for the Canadian Association Of Chiefs Of Police

Amazing Spider-Man : Skating On Thin Ice #1
Amazing Spider-Man : Double Trouble #2
Amazing Spider-Man : Hit And Run #3
Amazing Spider-Man : Chaos In Calgary #4
Amazing Spider-Man : Dead Ball #5 (also published in french in Québec as L'Étonnant Spider-Man : Balle Morte)

My understanding for these 5 issues is that they were first published in Canada, and later reprinted in the US. I don't think the first 4 issues were available in french, but I guess they translated the fifth one because it features the Montréal Expos.
BailWritte
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by BailWritte »

But the Canadian stories were made by American creators and published by Marvel Comics, so I don't know if they count.

Does anybody have any info about a french M&M/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover?
Giant Ant
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Giant Ant »

BailWritte wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:09 pm But the Canadian stories were made by American creators and published by Marvel Comics, so I don't know if they count.

Does anybody have any info about a french M&M/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover?
I think they should count, they were made specifically for the canadian market and were not available in the US at first. A lot of the other comics listed were produced by Marvel comics by American creators, including a lot of the UK ones and the french M&M/Guardians of the galaxy x-over (I posted about it in a previous post, you can have more information at this link https://www.bedetheque.com/serie-44140- ... taire.html ). Also, the fact that some were published in both french and english to me denotes a canadian specificity and differentiates them from the usual US comics.
Arthur
Director
Director

Post by Arthur »

Giant Ant wrote
I don't think the first 4 issues were available in french
#1: L'Étonnant Spider-Man : La Rondelle de Troie !
#2: L'Étonnant Spider-Man : Embûches
#3: L'Étonnant Spider-Man : À Coup Sûr
#4: L'Étonnant Spider-Man : Chaos à Calgary